Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:26 PM

103 posts, read 268,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet playground View Post
At 18 you are no longer legally connected to your parents. On a college app., or financial aid, etc., since you are not living under your parents' roof, anywhere it asks for information about your parents, simply put N/A. You are under no obligation to give ANY information about your parents for any reason after you turn 18 (If you are supporting yourself, and living in your own place.).
If you apply for Federal aid and under the age of 24, you're required to produce your parents' tax returns, regardless of whether you live with them or not. College applications are a different animal. I know this because my self-sufficient, 22 year old daughter applied for financial aid. We live in different states, but she was still required to submit my tax return. Of course, because of my income, she did not qualify for aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 03:12 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,112,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTxTwistr View Post
If you apply for Federal aid and under the age of 24, you're required to produce your parents' tax returns, regardless of whether you live with them or not. College applications are a different animal. I know this because my self-sufficient, 22 year old daughter applied for financial aid. We live in different states, but she was still required to submit my tax return. Of course, because of my income, she did not qualify for aid.
I just don't get that either and there should be a way to opt out. For dad's you can probably just say you don't know who he is, but for mom's? You need her tax returns. It sure is one way to tell kids that they are still a product of their parents. I hated that.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,903 times
So i have a quick question, I'm doing my FAFSA and one of the questions is "Is or was the student in legal guardianship?" What exactly are they meaning by this?

Old 02-23-2009, 10:40 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,058,896 times
Are or were you a ward of the courts or state? Were you in Foster Care in your state? Were you the ward of a Federally Recognized Tribe? If you were you just hit the lotto of FASFA because you are automatically considered independent without having to submit parents tax info. I just went through this with my "sister" whom my parents had custody of from the time she was 3. She was a Ward of a FRT therefore she was considered independent as soon as she turned 18. After we helped her get all sorts of scholarships to get into college and get going she turned around and ran off......so I don't know what she is doing or if she is even gonna go to college. Kinda ticks me off. I wish she would at least let them know she isn't so they can give the money to someone else.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:24 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,404,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca22 View Post
So i have a quick question, I'm doing my FAFSA and one of the questions is "Is or was the student in legal guardianship?" What exactly are they meaning by this?
Just as okpondlady mentioned, it's if you are/were a ward of a court/the state.

If you're not at least 24 or 25 (I'm not sure exactly which it is anymore) and do not have unusual circumstances, you'll be considered a dependant.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:30 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,054,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Just as okpondlady mentioned, it's if you are/were a ward of a court/the state.

If you're not at least 24 or 25 (I'm not sure exactly which it is anymore) and do not have unusual circumstances, you'll be considered a dependant.
What about emancipation? What would that do as far as required parent documentation of income?

Old 02-24-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
What about emancipation? What would that do as far as required parent documentation of income?
You mean emancipation by a court before they turn 18?

Or some process for emancipationstrictly for financial aid purposes?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that emancipation by court order before turning 18 MAY mean the student is an independent.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:42 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,054,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You mean emancipation by a court before they turn 18?

Or some process for emancipationstrictly for financial aid purposes?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that emancipation by court order before turning 18 MAY mean the student is an independent.
So, it might be worth looking into for a person in the position of the OP.

But, since emancipation can be done BEFORE 18, why can't it be done for those who are independent living AFTER 18 for the expressed purpose of applying for financial aid?

Old 02-24-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:

But, since emancipation can be done BEFORE 18, why can't it be done for those who are independent living AFTER 18 for the expressed purpose of applying for financial aid?
It can't be. Emancipation is done by a court before 18 to give minors the legal rights of an adult. An 18-24 year old has all those rights anyway. The only ways that a kid can be independent for FASFA are if they are married, have been in the military, or if they have some type of special exception. I think a "special exception" could be an emancipation before the age of 18.

Is it fair...no. But at the same time, if all 18 year olds straight out of HS were considered "independent," almost all would get a very significant amount of financial aid which the system couldn't afford to do since many would have zero income and the ones that do have income would have a few thousand maximum.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:33 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,219,117 times
Quote:

Because someone screwed it up for the rest of us. Years ago children were saying they didn't live with their parents or that they didn't help support them at all. Yet in fact they either were living with them or their parents DID have enough money to send them to college but were applying for and recieving aid.

The only way to get out of it if you are under 25 is to get proof that your mother does not and/or will not support you whatsoever. You can do this by getting a letter stating/proving from many of the following:

1. your mother
2. your church leader
3. police
4. someone from your highschool that knows your situation
5 other family members that can vouche for your situation

Believe it or not the numbers say that over 75% of people applying for aid in 1999 LIED or falsified their fafsas and recieved ther WRONG amount of financial aid for their financial bracket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting