Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:35 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Because someone screwed it up for the rest of us. Years ago children were saying they didn't live with their parents or that they didn't help support them at all. Yet in fact they either were living with them or their parents DID have enough money to send them to college but were applying for and recieving aid.

The only way to get out of it if you are under 25 is to get proof that your mother does not and/or will not support you whatsoever. You can do this by getting a letter stating/proving from many of the following:

1. your mother
2. your church leader
3. police
4. someone from your highschool that knows your situation
5 other family members that can vouche for your situation

Believe it or not the numbers say that over 75% of people applying for aid in 1999 LIED or falsified their fafsas and recieved ther WRONG amount of financial aid for their financial bracket
The letter won't do a thing. Even not being claimed as a dependent on parents' taxes won't result in the kid being independent for financial aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 09:06 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The letter won't do a thing. Even not being claimed as a dependent on parents' taxes won't result in the kid being independent for financial aid.

the school can make an exeption got the paper here.. i did it for two years..i was 22 and 23

Old 02-24-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
the school can make an exeption got the paper here.. i did it for two years..i was 22 and 23
Under federal laws I don't think they can...under a different financial aid program they possibly could. Schools CAN make exceptions but it's usually because of things like abuse.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Under federal laws I don't think they can...under a different financial aid program they possibly could. Schools CAN make exceptions but it's usually because of things like abuse.

My parents kicked me out at 17. My mother refused to fill out the fafsa because they were afraid to ask the government for money (long story) I had my own apartment. They did not support me. My stepfather and mother were comparable to a**holes most of the time.

No physical abuse. Much mental!

I was 21 with no money to go to school. I couldn't fill out the fafsa without their info and signature.

I explained the situation to my financial aid office. They blew me off at first saying that they hear that same story all too often.

Eventually, after a letter to the administator, they took me seriously. They informed me how to go about it. They said I needed "reliable sources" stating/proving the information about my parents and my living situation.

I gave them letters from all five of the sources I listed in the other post.

I filled out my fafsa ALONE. They called me an 'independent' and I recieved both the MAP and the PELL grant from the government for my first two years of college.

Here is the link from financial aid to prove what I say to be true

FinAid | Professional Judgment | Dependency Overrides

Old 02-24-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
My parents kicked me out at 17. My mother refused to fill out the fafsa because they were afraid to ask the government for money (long story) I had my own apartment. They did not support me. My stepfather and mother were comparable to a**holes most of the time.

No physical abuse. Much mental!

I was 21 with no money to go to school. I couldn't fill out the fafsa without their info and signature.

I explained the situation to my financial aid office. They blew me off at first saying that they hear that same story all too often.

Eventually, after a letter to the administator, they took me seriously. They informed me how to go about it. They said I needed "reliable sources" stating/proving the information about my parents and my living situation.

I gave them letters from all five of the sources I listed in the other post.

I filled out my fafsa ALONE. They called me an 'independent' and I recieved both the MAP and the PELL grant from the government for my first two years of college.

Here is the link from financial aid to prove what I say to be true

FinAid | Professional Judgment | Dependency Overrides
Yeah I read the link - it specifically says that parents not wanting to pay or the student being completely self-supporting does NOT count.

It DOES say that abuse (including mental) may result in a dependency override.

I'm real sorry to hear about your situation btw.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Yeah I read the link - it specifically says that parents not wanting to pay or the student being completely self-supporting does NOT count.

It DOES say that abuse (including mental) may result in a dependency override.

I'm real sorry to hear about your situation btw.

Thank you It's alot better now. I just won't be that way with my children. They've made me a way better parent

Read further into the link. It says that those reasons must be in conjunction with other reasons.

Mental abuse IS a reason.

Read on please. I also went to the local health department and recieved counciling. My parents really messed with me emotionally. One of my letters to the financial aid office included the therapist.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Thank you It's alot better now. I just won't be that way with my children. They've made me a way better parent

Read further into the link. It says that those reasons must be in conjunction with other reasons.

Mental abuse IS a reason.

Read on please. I also went to the local health department and recieved counciling. My parents really messed with me emotionally. One of my letters to the financial aid office included the therapist.
Yes I clearly stated in my post that mental abuse IS a reason. And I'm glad that everything is working out for you better now.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Yes I clearly stated in my post that mental abuse IS a reason. And I'm glad that everything is working out for you better now.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:11 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,594 times
I am totally peeved by the whole FAFSA thing. Now I am going to be thousands of dollars in debt paying off student loans because I am going to school under 25. I guess it's my fault because of the school I chose (a for profit) I could have gone to school for free with my scholarship and prepaid plan but no public school offered what I wanted.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I am totally peeved by the whole FAFSA thing. Now I am going to be thousands of dollars in debt paying off student loans because I am going to school under 25. I guess it's my fault because of the school I chose (a for profit) I could have gone to school for free with my scholarship and prepaid plan but no public school offered what I wanted.

Many people can't afford school. I'm married now and with my family's income they expect me and my husband can contribute (EFC) $6,000 a year for schoolastic expenses. Funny thing is that we have a grand total of 24 dollars extra most months after the bills are paid. So we also have had to take out school loans and we owe over $22000 up to now. Which is nothing compared to many people who choose to go to a more expensive school. I really wanted to go to Columbia College in Chicago but I would be in debt by more than 3X what I am now!

There is nothing wrong with community college for the first couple of years. I am not a fan of what my brother-in-law does for a living but he is proof. He went to community college for two years then transfered. He is now an FDA Patent Lawyer!

I don't know what your situation is but I guess you SHOULD have taken the scholarship as you said.

If you qualified THEN for a scholarship, I'm sure you can still apply for one now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting