Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 01:12 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,738,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Think of it this way:

1. Any work she does is building work experience. If anything ever happened to you she'd be more able to step up and take over supporting the family.

2. Double the amount of income going into your IRA's or 401K's.

3. If anything ever happened to her, and she became disabled, she'd be able to receive more from disability. The more you pay in over time the more you recieve when and if you need it.

4. Sometimes one spouse receives a better benefit package than the other. At least you'll have more options.

Good points!

These are some of the "hidden" benefits of both parents working. Its really good for (usually) Mom to have some social security or other retirement savings for the future. This is what often hurts women in the long run.

You don't say how old you parents are, but if you're fairly young and your youngest is just going into full day school, I'd suspect your wife is pretty darn busy still. Can she retrain and do some freelance and networking for a year or two? Maybe some doors would open for her as the economy improves. ALso, if she's done any volunteer coordination with the schools or community, these are helpful on the resume and good places to start networking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 01:30 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,124,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Depends on what time the oldest gets home from school, it has been my experience that my hs students have always gotten out of school after my younger kids so there was a time lapse when there would be noone to watch the younger kids. Also depends on if the 14 yr old participates in sports. With limited info from the OP it can be difficult to give advice.
Even if the high school gets out before the other schools, after school activities take up the rest of the day, unless you want to deny your child the opportunity to take part in extracurriculars so they can babysit younger siblings.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:38 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,876,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Think of it this way:

1. Any work she does is building work experience. If anything ever happened to you she'd be more able to step up and take over supporting the family.

2. Double the amount of income going into your IRA's or 401K's.

3. If anything ever happened to her, and she became disabled, she'd be able to receive more from disability. The more you pay in over time the more you recieve when and if you need it.

4. Sometimes one spouse receives a better benefit package than the other. At least you'll have more options.

Excellent points.

One more thing I would like to add is some moms who have stayed at home for so long WANT to go back to work outside the home not just for the money - and money, esp the starting salary that first year or two back, might be low on the list of "pros". Some have stayed home simply because it was not financially or logistically feasible to work when so many of the kids were young and are ready to step out of the stay at home mom/housewife role that they might not have wanted in the first place but took on because of their family.

So I think one needs to consider how much the stay at home parent wants to go back to work.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:12 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,776,734 times
Quote:
At least kids in daycare might have a shot at being exposed to people with good human values and better moral habits.
Yes, I'm sure all SAHMs are just a bunch of lazy, gossiping shrews, and all day care centers are bastions of culture and elegance.........bwahahaha.

Somehow I think if SAHMs weren't looked-down upon and denigrated so much in our society, we would have much happier homes, and happier, more well-adjusted kids.

I never was "wealthy" either, but my kids weren't raised in daycare. Suggesting that you have to be "wealthy" to stay home with your child, is absurd.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:59 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,058,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Marnix View Post
Wife's been out of the work force since 1999.
We have a D13, S10 and D4.
Next year, D4 will be going to full time school.

Wondering how everyone managed or decided to go to work and pay for the necessary child care arrangements.

Wife says that the amount she would make, over half is estimated to go to child care alone.
I assume when D is 5 or 6, school will be all day, and child care will not be as expensive. Plus, you'll have a high schooler soon? I would look farther into the future, rather than just at the cost of child care right now. Plus, retirement, etc.

All of you who recommend working at a school or working part time, or starting a business from home - great idea, but where does a person find a job like that? It is easier said than done. what kinds of jobs are there at a school that require you to work only the hours that the kids are there? and not everyone can just up and start a business from home. I know you all mean well, but it doesn't sound all that realistic.

ETA: is there a job lined up already? That's how it sounded to me. If there is a job offer, in this economy especially, might be better to take it even if child care seems expensive. When she wants a job in a year or 2, the offer might not be there.

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 11-18-2009 at 05:11 PM..

Old 11-18-2009, 05:14 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,058,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
It does sound like the additional income could help you guys out. If I was faced with this decision, I would try to get a job with the school district, preferably at the 5 year old's school so that our schedules matched. Even with an advanced degree I would consider doing things such as working in the cafeteria, etc. Having the same days and hours off as my kids would be worth it and there would be no need to pay for daycare so even though the income would probably be small, it would all go to the family.
doing what?

Old 11-18-2009, 05:55 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,960,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I assume when D is 5 or 6, school will be all day, and child care will not be as expensive. Plus, you'll have a high schooler soon? I would look farther into the future, rather than just at the cost of child care right now. Plus, retirement, etc.

All of you who recommend working at a school or working part time, or starting a business from home - great idea, but where does a person find a job like that? It is easier said than done. what kinds of jobs are there at a school that require you to work only the hours that the kids are there? and not everyone can just up and start a business from home. I know you all mean well, but it doesn't sound all that realistic.

ETA: is there a job lined up already? That's how it sounded to me. If there is a job offer, in this economy especially, might be better to take it even if child care seems expensive. When she wants a job in a year or 2, the offer might not be there.
There are all sorts of web forums dedicated to that very question, actually! I did not know it, but when I was looking into working from home, I found them. I'm not sure if posting them is allowed, so if these are removed, then DM me if interested. (I am a freelance writer, so several of these are freelance writing sites.)

Work From Home - Work at Home Jobs, Recipes & Articles For Moms - WAHM.com
Work Place Like Home
Home-based Agent Customer Care Solutions, Home Agent Results – West at Home
Freelance Jobs | Demand Studios
Freelance Writing Jobs
Associated Content - associatedcontent.com
QualityGal

Old 11-18-2009, 06:04 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,164,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
doing what?
https://www2.recruitingcenter.net/Cl...controller.cfm

Hit the search tab and you will se that there are a variety of PT jobs with flexible hours, many coinciding with school schedules. The link is for Denver Public Schools.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:06 PM

88,189 posts, read 84,046,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Yes, I'm sure all SAHMs are just a bunch of lazy, gossiping shrews, and all day care centers are bastions of culture and elegance.........bwahahaha.

Somehow I think if SAHMs weren't looked-down upon and denigrated so much in our society, we would have much happier homes, and happier, more well-adjusted kids.

I never was "wealthy" either, but my kids weren't raised in daycare. Suggesting that you have to be "wealthy" to stay home with your child, is absurd.
Re your first sentence, I'd appreciate it if you didn't attribute sentiments to me that I never said or implied, thanks. My experience with THESE PARTICULAR WOMEN IN THAT PARTICULAR PLACE is true. I did not extend it to anyone else, and you are taking it out of context, which is dishonest. And I never said ANYTHING about all-day care centers, which I have no experience with. My mother was my daycare.

The POINT, which you seem to have missed, is that I was responding to a blanket statement that a stay-at-home mother is automatically a better mother. I did not teach my child by example to trash others and gossip about the personal lives of their teachers.

I am unaware that SAHM's are so looked-down upon. Sorry you feel that way.

By "wealthy ENOUGH" to stay home with kids, it means you have sufficient resources to pay the rent, buy food, pay for utilities, etc. I have the ability to make a living and accepting public assistance when I could work was not an option for me morally. Perhaps it was different for you, I don't know your values or your situation.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:16 PM

88,189 posts, read 84,046,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Or on a lesser note... for someone who needs to fit in cleaning the house, cooking etc, while having no one else at home to take care of the kids... I've seen quite a few SAHMs who just park their kids in front of the TV for a few hours a day while they cook, clean, and rest. I don't think that is better than a daycare, IMO. However, I am sure there are SAHMs who do not let their kids watch TV. This however is part of why I chose a reputable daycare (even though it's pricey) over a nanny... no TV, regular activities, and people taking care of your child without being distracted by chores.
Exactly. I know conscientious SAHM's who raised their children to be self-sufficient, good people and who also contributed time to their community during their years at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting