U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:26 AM

267 posts, read 1,682,785 times

Advertisements

I would never "push" my kid into modeling, dragging him from agent to agent around some big city waiting for him to be discovered. I don't need to live vicariously through my kids. For one thing, IF I did get him into modeling and I see that he didn't like it, then I would discontinue it. He has a normal childhood and I plan on keeping it that way.
Anyway, as cute as my son is I don't think I'll try the modeling for at least a few years if at all. Besides just having had a baby, I can't get him to even stay still for pictures. So I don't think it would work out-he would probably drive photographers nuts trying to destroy their studio, lol.

I don't think there is anything wrong with parents getting there kids or babies into modeling or acting. Someone has to model for those Toys R Us catalogs and for Babies R Us, toy commercials, etc. I guess some of those parents (the psycho Dr Phil moms) take advantage of their kids, which isn't good for anybody. Especially the kids self esteem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 11:32 AM

3,893 posts, read 9,365,086 times
Okay, one last thing- my son's earnings go directly into HIS account. My husband and I pay his expenses- headshots, mileage, parking, workshops, etc. I figure I would pay that for any other interest like martial arts or something, so he keeps it ALL.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:01 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,745,501 times
With my oldest son, when he was a baby, I send off a snapshot (that I took) to agencies and one signed him-I did not pay them. We went on an audition and he got the job. Thing is, they call you like the day before and tell you about the audition-this might work for a SAHM, but not for someone who works outside the home. So, he 'retired' after that one job. I think he made $25.

It was a neat experience. No harm-he smiled throughout the shoot (he was 6 mo) and I had fun in the city (NYC) with him. As I had more kids, I did become a SAHM for awhile and my aunt always said, you should send out pics again, but I just did not want to run down to the city all the time. It's kind of like a job, for the mom.

I think it's harmless enough to try, just send out some snapshots and see what happens.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:02 AM

3,893 posts, read 9,365,086 times
Yes, ABSOLUTELY do not pay your child's agent! They should give you names of good, affordable photographers to use, but never insist you use a certain one or charge you anything, ever. They get paid a percentage of your child's earnings (the norm varies from city to city, generally 10-20%) when the client pays.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:07 PM

8,000 posts, read 16,809,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv80s View Post
Ok, so I'm watching Dr. Phil about these pushy moms trying to make their kids stars and think these moms are just a little crazy, lol. Anyway, I have thought about getting my son into child modeling before but don't really know how to go about it. He's as cute as a button and very photogenic. My hubby did child modeling when he was a baby/toddler for some catalogs but that was it. I don't want to make my son some kind of superstar model, just want to see if I can get him in print like magazines, catalogs, etc. He's only 2 so I am not going to push him into anything. I figure if neither of us likes it we'll stop.

What are some good agencies or ways to go about getting into modeling? We live in Vermont and the closest big cities are Boston, Montreal, and NYC. Have any of you had your child in modeling? How did you or your kids like it? What was the work like?

I use to work for a couple agencies in Michigan. I could contact them and see what's close to Vermont or you can call them. DM me if you want.

Also, please be aware, it does not cost a cent to start modeling, do not let any agency try to charge you a fee, if they do try to, get out of there as soon as possible. Also, you don't always need professional photos of your child to send to any agency. Any photos taken with your own camera at home should suffice.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 11,172 times
Default Marla Dell

I am posting this in regards to the posting on here about Marla Dell Talent. I went to the website to get more info on signing my daughter up and they want $130.00. I am curious because I have read a lot of postings saying that you should not have to pay to sign up for modeling. Please give me advice on what to do about this. Also if there are any sites I should try to sign up with please let me know. She is 16-months old and we live in Mississippi. There are no modeling agencies that I know of here. Thanks for your time!

Old 12-23-2008, 01:34 AM

1 posts, read 11,138 times
I do not understand at all what you are talking about asking for Marla Dell Talent to ask $130. My daughter is with this agency and the are very of the most reputable agenices in SF. They never ask for money up front and the all children they represent must live within 2 hours of San Francisco.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:08 AM

6,970 posts, read 12,385,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
He's only 2 so I am not going to push him into anything. No offence, if hes only two and modelling, hes being pushed by the parents. He cant turn around and say he wants to do it.
My friends kid did some for a magazine, but she found that cooperation on his part was zilch, wouldnt wear the clothes, stand still, stop pulling etc. So that ended quickly, guess it was his way of saying no.
AMEN!! The only job a 2 yr old needs is being a 2 yr old. That goes for a 3 yr old, 4 yr old, etc.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:27 AM

9,206 posts, read 20,221,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelinch222 View Post
I am posting this in regards to the posting on here about Marla Dell Talent. I went to the website to get more info on signing my daughter up and they want $130.00. I am curious because I have read a lot of postings saying that you should not have to pay to sign up for modeling. Please give me advice on what to do about this. Also if there are any sites I should try to sign up with please let me know. She is 16-months old and we live in Mississippi. There are no modeling agencies that I know of here. Thanks for your time!
Where are you seeing the $130?

FAQ
Do I have to pay the agency?
No. The only way our agency makes money is if you make money! In regulation with the California State Labor Code, a legitimate talent agency should not collect a registration fee. Instead, a commission is collected once a job is booked. Be very cautious of any agency that charges up-front costs or fees, this is not standard practice in our business.

It does say that you will be responsible to pay for head shots.

Also on their site, they only consider kids/people that live within an hour of San Francisco and cannot consider talent that live outside of California.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:03 PM

24 posts, read 90,461 times
hey i want to get my child into modeling but i live in michigan. i'm trying to find a good agency to get him into does anyone have a good reference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or