U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 03:49 PM

267 posts, read 1,682,189 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I'm watching Dr. Phil about these pushy moms trying to make their kids stars and think these moms are just a little crazy, lol. Anyway, I have thought about getting my son into child modeling before but don't really know how to go about it. He's as cute as a button and very photogenic. My hubby did child modeling when he was a baby/toddler for some catalogs but that was it. I don't want to make my son some kind of superstar model, just want to see if I can get him in print like magazines, catalogs, etc. He's only 2 so I am not going to push him into anything. I figure if neither of us likes it we'll stop.

What are some good agencies or ways to go about getting into modeling? We live in Vermont and the closest big cities are Boston, Montreal, and NYC. Have any of you had your child in modeling? How did you or your kids like it? What was the work like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 04:23 PM

28,166 posts, read 43,452,271 times
My siblings and I did some modeling as children... we're all curly redheads (they're more blond, I'm bright red), so my mother was approached by agencies regularly. My sister & I just did local fashion shows and a few catalogs, but my brother was actually quite successful. His biggest jobs included national Gap & Mervyn's campaigns, a popular rock music video, toy boxes, and a few commercials. The best advice I can give you is this - if they ask for ANY money to sign with them, RUN!! A legitimate, good agency will never ask for money, since they're assuming/planning to MAKE money off of you... then, and only then, will they take a commission.

I don't know any agencies in New England, but I can try to do some research later. My brother was signed with a San Francisco agency called Marla Dell Talent (http://www.marladell.com/), and they did a really great job with him. You could start with the well-known adult agencies, such as Ford or Elite, since they all have children's divisions - and if they don't sign him, they could probably refer you to another legitimate agency. Finally, I think you already know this, but let your kid decide if & when to stop modeling... my brother grew tired of it around age 13, and while my mom was disappointed, she pulled him out immediately. "Stage moms" are the ones who push their kids, even when they're done with it, so you obviously don't want to be one of those. And I think even at a toddler age, you'll be able to tell if he's not having fun. Good luck, and I'll let you know if I find any info!

P.S. Not that it should be a deciding factor, but child models are paid surprisingly well... my brother bought his own car, a new (at the time) Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, with his own money at age 15.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:27 PM

28,166 posts, read 43,452,271 times
Here's a quote from Marla Dell's website, reiterating what I said about not paying to sign with a legitimate agency...

"Do I have to pay the agency?
No. The only way our agency makes money is if you make money! In regulation with the California State Labor Code, a legitimate talent agency should not collect a registration fee. Instead, a commission is collected once a job is booked. Be very cautious of any agency that charges up-front costs or fees, this is not standard practice in our business. "

Old 05-15-2007, 04:45 PM

13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
This thread helped me a bunch when I was looking into something similar for my daughter:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=768714

Even though I live in Los Angeles, I just can't see myself being able to deal with the demands of something like this (I need to work full time, so I can't be available "within an hour" if they request it). I have to schedule my time and plan accordingly, they should too.

Good luck to you and your little boy - I hope something pans out for you!

Old 05-17-2007, 12:10 PM

7,504 posts, read 15,964,820 times
He's only 2 so I am not going to push him into anything. No offence, if hes only two and modelling, hes being pushed by the parents. He cant turn around and say he wants to do it.
My friends kid did some for a magazine, but she found that cooperation on his part was zilch, wouldnt wear the clothes, stand still, stop pulling etc. So that ended quickly, guess it was his way of saying no.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:08 PM

3,893 posts, read 9,361,850 times
My son's an actor, but he also models from time to time. From our experience, I'd say finding the right agent is the key. She checks everything out before she sends him out, and is very well-respected in the industry.

Good luck!

Old 11-13-2007, 03:18 PM

267 posts, read 1,682,189 times
Thanks. I think I'll hold off for awhile on the modeling though. Just had a baby two months ago and my hands are full

Old 11-13-2007, 08:07 PM

618 posts, read 1,466,287 times
My daughter also did modeling for Wal Mart and Target ads. about 6 or so years ago. Her best friend at the time was into modeling because her friend's mother was also a formed child actress. My daughter's modeling was rather time consuming which was the biggest downfall.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:59 AM

3,402 posts, read 11,980,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
He's only 2 so I am not going to push him into anything. No offence, if hes only two and modelling, hes being pushed by the parents. He cant turn around and say he wants to do it..
..that was the first thing I was going to say. You counter the "psycho pushy moms on Dr. Phil's show" by saying you'll back out of it if either of you are uncomfortable.... but if he's only 2? that IS being pushed by the parents. I wouldn't say to stick up your nose at someone if they approached you on the street and wanted your baby's face on a magazine. (because if they like you enough, they will) but, don't go asking for it!

Wouldn't you rather they have a "normal as possible" natural up-bringing?
Everyone parent of child model/actress/actresses that I have seen firsthand, have some deep-seeded emotional issuese with their self esteem, that they need to live vicariously through their children, their pride and joy. And their selfishness drove a wedge between their relationship with their children because of it.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of your beautiful children. Pushing them to make a little money on the side when they're barely old enough to walk, is entirely something else.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:20 AM

3,893 posts, read 9,361,850 times
We tried to talk our son OUT of it for as long as possible. I mean, former child actors aren't usually the most well-adjusted folks in any room, right? LOL! Eventually we realized he wasn't losing interest, though, so we enrolled him in an intensive 8-week acting course. It was mostly adults. He was the only child who finished the course. Not only was he able to keep up and stay focused, but he would ask the teacher for additional scenes. That's when we decided it wasn't so much our job to keep him out of the business as it was to guide him through it. So far, so good. He even turned down a high-paying job last year because he didn't feel comfortable with the client's political policies. We took that as a good sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or