Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 07:49 AM

216 posts, read 681,981 times

Advertisements

Hi all....I need some advice from savvy parents. My 14 year old son is now a freshman in high school, and has apparently decided that, although he lives in New England, he can wear shorts and a sweatshirt year round. It seems that he is not alone in this way of thinking, and I notice a majority of his buddies behaving the same way. Whether they are suffering from a mass delusion, simply trying to be "cool", or are just all not that bright, I haven't figured out yet. We live almost two miles from the high school, and there is no school bus service, so much of the time he walks home.

This insanity started in middle school, where I would often show up in my toasty warm van during single-digit weather after school, to pick up half a dozen hypothermic, shivering, boys-with-no-coats-who-don't-really-need-a-ride-but-thank-you-Mrs.-F-yes-I'll-get-in-the-van. After several lectures regarding the inability of warm blooded mammals without fur or layers of blubber to retain life-sustaining body heat in sub-zero weather without the benefit of warm clothing, I still find my self fighting this battle. I do understand that they do not have much space in their lockers for a bulky coat, so I was wondering if any of you are aware of some miracle space age material that will be extremely lightweight, yet pass the "cool" test. I have already tried the Lands End Tamarac, but the boys won't wear anythiong fleece. I already tried the sweatshirt with the fake pile inside, but it was deemed too bulky.

Any help you all could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 07:58 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
They are in HS...."cool" outweighs pretty much all discomfort unfortunately. The only place my 16yo son would wear a coat is snowboarding. They also have no room in their lockers (3 kids share a locker in their school). I suspect however, that if your son is still wearing shorts instead of jeans, it wouldn't matter what kind of coat you found him. At some point, he'll just figure out that he's cold enough and wear longer pants and something warmer on top or he'll just be darned cold.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:03 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Nope. It's time to let go. This is a natural consequences type thing.

If he doesn't want to wear a coat, he can be cold. If he continues to chose to dress that way, that's his decision.

He's a teenager now. Parents need to start letting teenagers make some decisions for themselves. This is one of those decisions.

Wearing coats is not in style for teenagers. My teen son went through that phase. He does wear a leather coat over a hoody now.

Last month, he went to visit a college campus and said he was the only person there wearing a coat.

So there is no guarantee that your son will outgrow it anytime soon.

Chose your battles wisely. This is not a battle worth fighting.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:17 AM

After a few years of wearing only hoodies, these are similar to the type of leather jacket my son now puts over a hoodie.

(Neither are exactly like his. I'm just trying to show the straight cut without ribbing on the bottom. This is the cut that layers best.)

The added laywer on top of the hoody helps keep him warm in addition to breaking the wind. (Hint: real leather is warmer than the fake stuff.)

(I don't recommend buying the coats with the fake zip out hoodies. They are fake leather and the hoodies get wierd looking---they want to wear their own actual hoody.)

http://www.cainefashion.co.uk/images/samples/Men/Woodland/wd_harrington_nubuck_exp.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-25-2009, 08:27 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
Any help you all could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Get him a leather duster.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:27 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
How about another layer under his hoodie? Will he wear a thermal?

Old 11-25-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Get him a leather duster.
I don't think a leather duster is appropriate for the type of kid who is only wearing hoodies. The leather duster look is an entirely different type of kid.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The only place my 16yo son would wear a coat is snowboarding.
My son will wear his ski jacket when skiing, but he won't wear it any other time! Teens are weird!

Old 11-25-2009, 08:52 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I don't know, but you are not alone. On a 20 degree morning with my kindergartner all bundled up, we stood at the bus stop with a 6th grader (I'm guessing) in shorts and a hoodie.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:58 AM

When my son was in 6th or 7th grade, he invited a friend to go skiing with his boyscout troop.

The kid showed up at our house in shorts! No coat. No gloves. No hat. Nothing.

I couldn't believe the parents didn't make sure he was dressed properly for skiing.

I quickly scoured the house for hats, gloves, old snow suits, etc.

That was taking natural consequences a little too far.

It's one thing to let them go to the bus or out with their friends the way they want.

It's another thing to let them go in a pair of shorts to spend 18 hours on a mountain with snow and potential freezing rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting