Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 05:48 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,376,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
I am not anti-vaccine but I take issue with the notion that only kids who are vaccinated according to schedule should be permitted to attend public schools. Exemptions should be allowed in all 50 states regardless of the reasoning.

When looking at vaccine preventable disease, it does not always make the most sense to vaccinate school aged children, especially since the majority of vaccines' effectiveness wanes over time leaving us with an adult population that is not immune. IMO, it makes much more sense to look at each individual VPD and each individual vaccine and decide from there which groups of people are most vulnerable and come up with ways to vaccinate those groups as well as the people who they come into close contact with.

Parents should have a choice when it comes to injecting things into their children's bodies. I find it unfathomable that people are willing to give up that right in the name of "herd immunity". If we want to create and maintain a "herd immunity", why don't we do more to get adults vaccinated? Why are we only focusing on children?
Hell yeah, I agree with you here. What bothers me is that people really neglect to see that after exposing their children to vaccines and toxins/chemicals in them, it may do a long-term harm to them. It is truly ridiculous how much vaccination is required to be given to their little bodies, I definitely think that it contributed to so many other health problems our kids face today, so many more of them now suffer from allergies, eczema, low immune system and etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 06:03 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,864,824 times
As a mother of a child with a weakend immune system due to asthma I would much rather the state enforce the vaccinations and my daughter stay healthy and safe at school... And the children who do not get them can stay home because that is the CHOICE their parents made... ALSO- as a teacher I don't want to catch anything from a non vaccinated child either... And the fact that people are so immoral as to lie about religious need is disgusting... If you are a member of a specific faith I am sure your God is very proud of you for using his/her name to cheat the system. BRAVO!!!!

Old 12-03-2009, 06:34 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I fail to see how Catholic Church or the Vatican has anything to do with my Christian Church. Majority of people in my church feel that their body is a temple not to be exposed to poisons in vaccines or any other poisons for that matter (hence no smoking etc...). It has nothing to do with any doctrines or opposition from denominations, it's personal choice.
The MAIN point was that it's more commonly a Jewish or Muslim belief.

The Catholic Church had nothing to do with it as I was sharing the position of different Christian denominations.

There are always independent, cults or fringe denominations though....

Old 12-03-2009, 06:47 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,184 times
Quote:
oh sure I do...I feel guilty for exposing my child to poisons in vaccines so early in his life.
Frankly, I'm a lot more worried about the poisons in plastics that are used in so many applications of daily life. I think we're going to get a reality check in the years to come about what's really poisoning our nation.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:50 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
As a mother of a child with a weakend immune system due to asthma I would much rather the state enforce the vaccinations and my daughter stay healthy and safe at school... And the children who do not get them can stay home because that is the CHOICE their parents made... ALSO- as a teacher I don't want to catch anything from a non vaccinated child either... And the fact that people are so immoral as to lie about religious need is disgusting... If you are a member of a specific faith I am sure your God is very proud of you for using his/her name to cheat the system. BRAVO!!!!
I understand your concern but as a parent we can never guarantee that our children will not be exposed to germs and illness unless we keep them at home in a bubble. Vaccines are not 100% effective and as I pointed out earlier, most vaccinations effectiveness wanes over time. Since I assume children go to places other then school, they have a chance of becoming infected anywhere they go by adults and even teenagers who may or may not have been vaccinated as children. Worrying about the small percentage of children who are not vaccinated is really kind of silly.

As a teacher, have you received all of your boosters? Have your fellow teachers and administrators and other schools workers?

The First Amendment guarantees Freedom of religion. Religion can be very personal and unique to each individual. People do not need to prescribe to a certain faith in order to claim an exemption. People who use a religious exemption are not cheating the system by using an exemption if that is their belief. They may or may not even believe in the same God as you do, or even believe in any god at all.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Hell yeah, I agree with you here. What bothers me is that people really neglect to see that after exposing their children to vaccines and toxins/chemicals in them, it may do a long-term harm to them. It is truly ridiculous how much vaccination is required to be given to their little bodies, I definitely think that it contributed to so many other health problems our kids face today, so many more of them now suffer from allergies, eczema, low immune system and etc.
I agree with you that we over vaccinate. I agree that exposing people and especially small children and babies to the toxins and chemicals in vaccines may do long term damage and sometimes may cause immediate and obvious damage.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:00 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,220,811 times
Quote:
It wasn't directed towards you. It's general statements. I just think that people overvaccinate kids these days. Like Chicken pox? Flu? Measles? Seriously?

I personally definitely see connection with vaccinated children and weaker immune system. I just observe and make comparisons.

Oh and one more thing, my statement also has to do with accumulation of vaccines overtime. Many vaccines need to be repeated after a period of time. If you do think logically, your logic doesn't tell you that accumulation of chemicals and toxins in the body can do a long-term damage?
Logic? Seriously?

I just see more nonsensical rantings from someone who doesn't have a clue how the immune system works.

Where is the proof of this long term damage from accumulation of chemicals in vaccines? Where??

Where do you see connections between vaccinated children and weaker immune systems? Where? There is no evidence to back up this base less claim

Old 12-03-2009, 09:02 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Since the OP is in Florida, I looked up the exemption form she'd have to fill out and get the public health administrator to sign. It states:

I AM THE PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN OF THE ABOVE-NAMED CHILD. WE ARE MEMBERS OF THE ____________ CHURCH OR RELIGIOUS SECT. IMMUNIZATIONS ARE IN CONFLICT WITH MY RELIGIOUS TENETS OR PRACTICES. THEREFORE, I REQUEST THAT MY CHILD BE ENROLLED IN SCHOOL OR CHILD DAY CARE WITHOUT THE IMMUNIZATIONS REQUIRED BY SECTIONS 232.032, F.S. AND 402.305, F.S. I HAVE HAD EXPLAINED TO ME AND UNDERSTAND THE RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH THE DISEASES FOR WHICH IMMUNIZATIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR SCHOOL AND CHILD DAY CARE ADMITTANCE/ATTENDANCE AND HAVE REQUESTED EXEMPTION FROM THESE REQUIREMENTS FOR RELIGIOUS REASONS. I ALSO UNDERSTAND THAT SINCE MY CHILD HAS NOT BEEN IMMUNIZED AGAINST THE VACCINE PREVENTABLE DISEASES, HE/SHE MAY BE EXCLUDED FROM ATTENDING THE SCHOOL OR CHILD CARE CENTER FOR THE DURATION OF A VACCINE-PREVENTABLE DISEASE OUTBREAK WHICH CAN LAST UNTIL 21 DAYS AFTER THE LAST CASE IS DETECTED AT THE FACILITY.

I don't think she'd be able to fill in generic "Christian," since vaccines do not go against church teachings.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:08 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
Worrying about the small percentage of children who are not vaccinated is really kind of silly.
Not according to the Center for Disease Control, the World Health Organization, The American Academy of Pediatrics, UNICEF, and the American Medical Association. They all have a pro-vaccination stance, and have a wealth of substantial ongoing research on their side. I'll take their advice and recommendations over the movement of mothers who think they are the higher source of knowledge on the subject. Once again I will say that while I respect the decisions of those mothers, they choose to ignore the irrefutable data that suggests what the future holds in store for a a community of unvaccinated children. When these professional organizations conclude with proof that the risks of vaccinations exceed the benefits, I'll reconsider my opinion.

Do for your children what is right for you, but don't insult others who take the advice of professionals seriously, do their part to keep our communities disease-free, and show concern over the new vaccine-free movement by calling them 'silly'.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Children need vaccinations more than adults for a few reasons. Firstly, children do not have the good hygiene habits that adults do. They are not fastidious about keeping their bodies clean. Adults are far more conscientious about hand washing, not putting fingers in their mouths, etc. They don't typically spend their days in an environment where they are sharing things with other adults nearly as much as kids do. Secondly, since they spend a large amount of time each day in a school setting with other children sharing toys, school supplies, toilets, playground equipment, etc. they literally create a germ factory with everything they touch. Lastly, they have more immature immune systems, and can become far more sick when they are small. The risk for life-changing effects of disease are greater with them.
If we want to teach our children about proper hygiene then schools should set aside time each day for hand washing. Schools should also serve more nutritious food. The last time I was in a school, french fries and Ketchup were both considered vegetables. Nutrition goes a long way in keeping immune systems healthy. Children should also get much more time outside then they are currently getting in school. Spending more time outside will help to keep them healthy. Schools should allow children to drink water throughout the day. Schools, just like Doctors offices should come up with a plan to clean toys and shared supplies on a regular basis. I disagree that adults are better at hand washing. I think some adults are but many have never learned and don't do it often enough.

As far as children having more immature immune systems, that's also a reason to not overload them with the amount of vaccines that we currently have on our vaccination schedule. That's a reason to use adults, rather then children to create our "herd immunity".

Completely relying on vaccinations to keep people healthy is dangerous and not very smart, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting