U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 11:23 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,394,480 times

Advertisements

If you want to do something like that, start an at home business. I have a friend who is doing it right now. She sells those sayings that go on the wall made out of vinyl...she always has something on Ebay...she had to invest a little money up front with the purchase of the plotter.

I am hoping to do something on a smaller scale, my Mother has a really fabulous sewing machine, the kind that plugs into your computer so you can download complicated embroidary patterns to it and then the machine sews the picture on the garment, this one does it hands free, you just put the fabric in the frame and set it.

I am thinking of trying to list some unusual things on Ebay and see where it goes.

I have another friend who goes around to garage sales and estate sales and sales the stuff on EBay...makes a good living for herself that way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 09:13 AM

548 posts, read 2,398,196 times
How many kids do you have? I don't really understand being bored as a stay at home mom. I'm busier now than I was when I worked! Even when my kids are in school, I am still super busy doing all the shopping, cooking, cleaning, I handle all the finances of the house (investments, bills, everything), I try to find time for a run (that's my "me time" ), I volunteer at each of my kids' 3 classrooms (one day each.), etc...If you WANT to work, then of course you should. But if you're looking just for something to fill your day, I'd really suggest volunteering more in your kids' classrooms. There's a really high correlation between parental involvement in the classroom and success of the child in school.

If you're still bored, can you come over and do my laundry??

Old 05-17-2007, 09:14 AM

1,372 posts, read 4,764,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I don't know any family that couldn't use more money. Check with your school district, ours has openings for lunch ladies and cafeteria help among other paid positions, that fit into your children's schedules.

Good luck!
yeah this is a good idea I know alot of the moms work in the after school program

Old 05-17-2007, 10:17 AM

3,684 posts, read 10,858,455 times
I do my school work while the kids are at school, I am enrolled in a Master's program. Some days I wish I had more than the 5 1/2 hours I do, others it seems like more than I need. But there is always something to do around the house if I am done with school work.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:52 AM
I95

62 posts, read 256,198 times
1. Start a biz. Ebay is practically perfect for SAHM's. If you're crafty, send me a pm and I'll tell you what sells on ebay. I make about an extra $5k per mth just playing around on there.

2. Start a new fitness plan. If you don't have weight to lose just work on a getting a great beachbody.

3. Learn a new language.

4. Learn a new skill.

5. Start a new hobby. Photography is a good one and you can sell your photos too.

6. Start a butterfly garden.

7. Take a yoga or pilates class

8. Experiment with new recipes.

9. Start listening to your favorite songs instead of the same 'ole tunes from the Wiggles and the Doodle Bops

10. Dance around the house like a contestant on Dancing with the Stars.

Have Fun!!!

Forgot to add his one....

11. Treat yourself to a Spa Day.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:57 AM

1,372 posts, read 4,764,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I95 View Post
1. Start a biz. Ebay is practically perfect for SAHM's. If you're crafty, send me a pm and I'll tell you what sells on ebay. I make about an extra $5k per mth just playing around on there.

2. Start a new fitness plan. If you don't have weight to lose just work on a getting a great beachbody.

3. Learn a new language.

4. Learn a new skill.

5. Start a new hobby. Photography is a good one and you can sell your photos too.

6. Start a butterfly garden.

7. Take a yoga or pilates class

8. Experiment with new recipes.

9. Start listening to your favorite songs instead of the same 'ole tunes from the Wiggles and the Doodle Bops

10. Dance around the house like a contestant on Dancing with the Stars.

Have Fun!!!

AMEN TO NUMBER 9

Old 05-17-2007, 11:05 AM

3,927 posts, read 7,741,143 times
My problem is that I am a work from home mom who wants it all. Yeah, I know impossible but I do keep trying.

My office doubles as the main office for our water association, and for my dh business as well as managing rental property and where I try to squeeze time in for research for writing.

My exercise bike and weights sit to the right of my desk and I make time each day to get on it at least for 15 minutes.

I want pretty landscape complete with gardens, and walkways and little hideaways for escaping it all and niches for wildlife. just don't have time to work on my gardens though.

My youngest plays ball so I am to and fro to ballgames and practices.

And to top that off, I am also on the city boad and our town is booming left and right.

I know, this is a lot, but there was a time when I had nothing to do and was so depressed I could not stand myself. And, all these things I am doing now were once just part time things. If our area keeps growing, am afraid I will have to give something up, but I love all of what I am doing.

Honest, I am not a horrid person, and reading over this post makes me seem that way.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:19 AM

3,684 posts, read 10,858,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
My problem is that I am a work from home mom who wants it all. Yeah, I know impossible but I do keep trying.

My office doubles as the main office for our water association, and for my dh business as well as managing rental property and where I try to squeeze time in for research for writing.

My exercise bike and weights sit to the right of my desk and I make time each day to get on it at least for 15 minutes.

I want pretty landscape complete with gardens, and walkways and little hideaways for escaping it all and niches for wildlife. just don't have time to work on my gardens though.

My youngest plays ball so I am to and fro to ballgames and practices.

And to top that off, I am also on the city boad and our town is booming left and right.

I know, this is a lot, but there was a time when I had nothing to do and was so depressed I could not stand myself. And, all these things I am doing now were once just part time things. If our area keeps growing, am afraid I will have to give something up, but I love all of what I am doing.

Honest, I am not a horrid person, and reading over this post makes me seem that way.
Why do you think you sound horrid? You just sound like someone who loves to be busy. There's nothing wrong with that. It took me years to be able to be not busy and even now I have so many volunteer positions that I tend to over extend myself at times. If you enjoy all that you are doing keep doing it, happy is hard to beat and if you have it hang on to it!

Old 05-17-2007, 11:35 AM

3,927 posts, read 7,741,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Why do you think you sound horrid? You just sound like someone who loves to be busy. There's nothing wrong with that. It took me years to be able to be not busy and even now I have so many volunteer positions that I tend to over extend myself at times. If you enjoy all that you are doing keep doing it, happy is hard to beat and if you have it hang on to it!
I guess because after re-reading the post, I got the feeling I might be coming across as pretentious. (sp). All those I's in there.

I do love what I do, and have wanted to work in an office environment since a small child. Did not think I would be able to because MS likes to stay behind the times so much, but internet finally became a word people understood around here and anything is possible now.

I fell into the water job. Our small association had a total of 495 members when they asked me to take over the billing and office duties. I jumped at the chance because I could do this at home. That was ten years ago. I also ran and got elected to our town board, which is pretty much a volunteer job, but my dad was an alderman and believed in the town, so his values spilled over to me.

Now, with a large corporation building here and promising over 2000 jobs, our area is hopping and my workload has tripled. Yet, I simply love it. An added benefit is now there is travel involved and it's nice to visit other places to see how we can be in twenty years or so.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:42 AM

688 posts, read 2,557,279 times
I do the eBay thing too! You can make a good supplemental income or go full force and make a living from it. I make a good supplemental amount right now and I feel like I'm on the computer most of the day sometimes but when I'm done, I'm done for the rest of the day! So, I'm usually doing my thing most when my daughter is at school though, so I'm not tied to it after she comes home. I also have a baby so I take time out to play and feed her and stuff like that, then when she naps, I get back to work! A mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting