U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 08:58 AM

453 posts, read 1,922,532 times

Advertisements

get a job. you could always get your teacher certificate and become a teacher. that way you're at work when your kids are at school, and you're always at home when they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 02:54 PM

1,390 posts, read 2,316,147 times
My twins are in middle school. In between dropping them off at school and picking them up 7 hours later, how I spend my time on any given day is completely flexible and I love it that way! I do all the housework and errands, walk 3 miles nearly every day, then spend time doing things I enjoy...may work in my garden, knit, read, play on the computer, bake, or experiment with new recipes. Time goes fast!

I also volunteer at school one morning a week. For quite a while I've been thinking about volunteering at the Humane Society (but I'm still in the thinking about it stage).

Old 06-02-2007, 04:59 PM

266 posts, read 1,082,346 times
I have been thinking about this topic a lot lately, as I am planning on going back to school.

I think that we as mothers somehow feel guilty/lazy/useless when the kids go off to school and we don't have much to do. But my question is - after so many years of 24/7, IS IT REALLY SO BAD TO JUST HAVE NOTHING TO DO AND SOME TIME TO RELAX AND MEET OUR OWN NEEDS???

I think the culture we live in really feeds us a lot of b/s about how we should ALWAYS be doing something productive - and also as women that we NEED to be doing something for someone else at all times. I truly do think it is time to try and change this ideal. Feed some emotional needs, be creative if you want to be - I plan on doing some art, writing, and like I mentioned earlier, having some fun playing video games. Is there anything wrong with this? I had two kids very close together and had years of no breaks (and we have no family nearby, so we have never had a night without the kids - no more EVER than about 6 hours, I think).

Does anyone agree with me here, or am I just a voice in the wind?

PS - I do volunteer at least once a week with my girls' school, and I always go on the field trips. I do plan to continue this, in case anyone accuses me of being selfish!

PPS - I just happened to read the post above me, and it seems that twins4lynn at least shares my feelings, good for you doing stuff for YOU

Last edited by kitty71; 06-02-2007 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: wanted to add comment

Old 06-02-2007, 05:04 PM

266 posts, read 1,082,346 times
Actually, now re-reading some posts, (sorry guys) I do see that there are others of us out there who do agree with my ideas. I suppose I am very defensive because at one point this irritating mother I volunteer with said "so, now both your girls are in school, just WHAT are you going to do with yourself"? as if I couldn't possibly just do some intellectually stimulating or FUN things... I'd darn well better be busy working on the next cure for world hunger!! (not to mention that my younger daughter is in AM kindergarten, so my "alone" time is really only about 3 hours!!)

Old 06-25-2008, 08:24 PM

89 posts, read 485,357 times
Volunteer!!! There are always places that need help, and you can usually make your own schedule!

Old 06-25-2008, 09:21 PM

2,344 posts, read 3,798,692 times
You can....
Volunteer
go to school
take up some hobbies or explore hobbies you have always wondered about
write a book
find something of interest and study it
maybe experiment with remodeling a room
start a club with a topic or 2 of interest with others
or do nothing, which there is nothing wrong with that either

But with the last one, I always loved the Bezukhov saying "idleness and illness" refering to the worst things that can happen to a person.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:06 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,314,290 times
How about selling on Ebay.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:59 AM

2,542 posts, read 5,820,256 times
Just reading this post has given me hope. I can't wait until both my boys are in school!! Unfortunately, its not something that is regard as socially acceptable to go around saying--although I don't know why!

I told my husband I get at least two years after they are both in school where I don't have to work! Luckily, my husband wants me to be able to do whatever I want--get a job I love or sit on the couch eating bonbons!

I'm thinking of volunteering right now, with my boys still at home. Its amazing the amount of strain on a person in only having a five year old and toddler to talk to.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:48 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,587,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post
Please give me your ideas on how to keep myself busy. It scares me how I feel like I can sleep every day away. That is no fun!!

I have one who is going into First Grade in the fall and another that will be in preK for a couple of hours three days a week. I keep busy by still being with my kids. I am the room parent for my older daughter and I volunteer in the classroom every chance I get (THAT is the reason I am home for them)- I am in there at least three times a month. I am also on the PTA and hold a position that keeps me in the school for a few hours a week- and visible to my daughter. I am waiting to go back to teaching when my youngest is old enough...... but until then I will volunteer as I have been and Teach Religious Education on a voluntary basis for one of my daughter's classes at church. There are many things you can do to keep you busy while your children are in school... and even keep you involved in their everyday life as you once were the primary source of entertainment and education prior to school...

Old 06-27-2008, 08:01 PM

1,628 posts, read 5,773,980 times
Wow, I'm totally shocked that so many people have so much free time!!

I feel like it's my responsibility to be volunteering at the school and I do that 3 days a week! Cleaning and laundry take a lot of time, I make sure we have a home made (from scratch) dinner every night, which is also time consuming. The whole reason I decided to stay home in the first place is so I can do these things, not sit around and scrapbook!

I do manage to fit a run in maybe 2-3 times a week (sometimes on weekends, sometimes during school day) and occasionally I go out for coffee with a friend, but all in all I do not have any free time with the kids in school!! I guess I did at first, but I feel like they are my work, so I should be volunteering (not necessarily in their classroom, although I do that, but something in the school--literacy coach, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting