Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do/did you transport your child?
Stroller 12 60.00%
Sling 3 15.00%
Leash 3 15.00%
OTHER (please explain) 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:54 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times

Advertisements

To PUSH or NOT TO PUSH... that is the question! LOL... seems like a hot topic in here- though I don't understand WHY! So I thought I would try to find out the most common method of transportation among CD Parents for their kids.... Is it the stroller? the sling? or the leash/tether/backpack? Or OTHER... please explain.....

I have to say I did BOTH the sling and stroller... sling around the house and short excursions out and about... but it killed my back after a while... so I pushed- used a stroller. Baby #1 loved the sling and Baby #2 would have NOTHING to do with it.... So my PRIMARY use of transportation was the stroller...

No leash for this family....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 08:38 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,275,611 times
leash the dog, sling the newborn and stroller the infant/toddler

Old 12-01-2009, 08:45 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Any of them can be appropriate depending on the circumstances. Any could be inappropriate also. It is one of those things you, as the parent need to decide. I find it fascinating that some people feel that the way that worked for them is the ONLY appropriate method for "good" parents....

Old 12-01-2009, 08:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
I used a stroller by far the most. It doesn't break your back and is a must for shopping to carry all the bags, and a must for someplace like the zoo. Used a Baby Bjorn sometimes if DH was with to carry the diaper bag. Leash a few times around age 3, and a backpack on a camping/hiking trip around age 1. By far the stroller the most.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:08 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
I used both a sling and a stroller when my son was younger, depending on where we were going. He's a toddler now, and I use a stroller. He didn't like the sling or the bjorn very much, so that option didn't work for us as well as I'd hoped. The stroller got the most use by far.

We have three strollers, by the way; I don't know what the norm is these days, but that seems to be typical for many of my friends (I had hoped to have just one, but they seem to multiply...). We live in a city, and have slightly different needs than some friends and relatives in more suburban and rural areas. I have a bigger stroller that I don't use as much now that I have a toddler (it worked great for a younger baby), then a medium-sized umbrella stroller that we use around the neighborhood, and the smallest umbrella stroller I could find for going on the bus. My sister-in-law lives in a suburb and has a larger stroller that works on trails (but isn't so good in small city stores) and a smaller umbrella stroller for the car.

We don't use a leash, although I can now understand the appeal.

I don't quite understand why this is such a heated topic, although evidently it is! There are so many options out there now that every family should be able to find something that works for their lifestyle, local weather, etc. I've resisted the urge to buy yet another stroller (can't afford to and don't have the space, even if I wanted to), but sometimes it's tempting to think that there's the one perfect all-purpose dream stroller waiting just around the corner; there was an imported Japanese folding floor model on clearance at a local store a few months ago, and for a moment I thought that was it. Given the amount of space devoted to strollers, slings, wraps, etc. in books like Baby Bargains I don't think I'm the only one out there who has been at times a little obsessive about baby/toddler transportation options!

Old 12-01-2009, 09:13 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Does it really matter? People must really live charmed lives if they can waste energy worrying about how other people transport their children.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:16 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,217 times
You forgot to put all of the above.

I mostly used a stroller, but after my kids got past the age of being content in the stroller I used a leash. I sometimes used a front carrier similar to a backpack when they were less than 6 months old.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:31 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
u_u, I also had about 5 strollers. The infant travel system w/ the car seat, jogger, umbrella type for DH's car and travel, an umbrella at grandma's house, then a sit-n-stand. I only had 4 at any one time, I think.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:23 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,068,886 times
All of the above at different times. I didn't vote since there wasn't an option for all of the above.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:24 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,275,611 times
I can honestly say I'm a minimalist and only have one of each baby thing except slings. I had a newborn baby sling and a sling for back support when they get older. I am attempting not to buy more besides clothes when the 2nd kid is here. ...we will see how that goes.
my sil as about 5 strollers and makes good use of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting