Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:43 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times

Advertisements

What do I find for a girl who is creative and interested in real robotics and animals?

Check out Scouting websites. Although they do a lot of pink too (because it's the most popular color for girls), they also have more natural colors. Most Boy and Girl Scout shops carry science sets - and you DON'T have to be a scout to purchase anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 01:50 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
In Russia pink is a very popular color for little boys. I wonder what this lady would say about that?

Old 12-03-2009, 01:56 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
IWhat do I find for a girl who is creative and interested in real robotics and animals?

Retailers assume that all little girls are the same. Tell that to DD when she was 4 and decided she didn't like dolls, dressing up, or playing house anymore. Where are the toys then? Pink or not, I agree with the issue beyond the color pink.
One of my favorite shopping sites is ThinkGeek. They have some very fun stuff for kids.

ThinkGeek :: Geek Kids

Old 12-03-2009, 02:34 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I like pink, too, but I still wish there was more variety of colors for girl clothing. I don't think it's related to body image at all, but I think there is a valid point that there is something a little troubling about companies pushing gendered colors. It's hard to separate out demand from supply: does everyone buying all these pink colors always want pink, or is it just that pink is just so readily available? Again, nothing wrong with the color pink itself, but the bigger issue isn't just that marketers think that girls like pink, but that there does seem to be a fairly narrow definition among many (certainly not all) retailers that girls have certain interests and act a certain way.

Far more annoying than the pink thing is the emphasis on princesses. Everything these days is princess this, princess that. I enjoyed princesses when I was a little girl, too, but today it seems to have gone over the top.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:42 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
I do wish there were more toys that were unisex... LIKE LEGOS! My girls aren't into fighting or guns but the love LEGOS! For Christmas we wanted to get them each a set.... the only FEMALE type of lego was a big pink box filled with peices. There were no sets! It was all astronauts with guns, pirates with cannons, race car stuff... My girls aren't into that kind of stuff. It would be nice if companies like LEGO acknowledged that GIRLS would like to build as well..... it was odd to go into this HUGE lego store and among the black and white boxes find this one bright pink box for girls.....

Old 12-03-2009, 06:05 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
One of my favorite shopping sites is ThinkGeek. They have some very fun stuff for kids.

ThinkGeek :: Geek Kids
love thinkgeek. I shop there for my geek hub!

Old 12-03-2009, 06:20 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
love thinkgeek. I shop there for my geek hub!
LOL I want their I < 3 My geek shirt!

Old 12-03-2009, 06:24 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
LOL I want their I < 3 My geek shirt!
I want that shirt too!
we just bought the guitar shirt you can play for my bro for christmas.
might go buy another for all the other guys so they can shirt jam together.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:55 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
HA!
FYI... most of those pink appliances are made that way so that you know that you are paying extra for them to donate to breast cancer. No thanks! I'd rather buy a black mixer, spend $30 less and donate that dollar to whatever cause I choose! - But someone must be buying that stuff, or it wouldn't be getting made!
Guilty!

If I need to replace something, and there is a pink BC version and around if not the same price, as the non pink BC one, then I will get the pink one, I even opted for my state BC liscense plate, which is bright pink and blue.

I willingly choose to donate to BC though, and it one of my chairities of choice, so the new BC pink crazy is cool for me, lol.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:43 AM

526 posts, read 1,002,714 times
I can't tell you how many people I've met that insisted that they hated pink and would never dress their child in that color - Until someone mistakenly calls their green swadled newborn a boy - Then they can't run to the store to by pink clothes fast enough!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting