Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:52 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
That part I get, but regardless it is still easier/better to start younger, correct?

How so? I could easily go to different doctors for each issue, but this is more convenient and my insurance is paying the same no matter who I see. Is it being more expensive related to them wanting to "over treat" or something else?
Easier, yes, for the dentist to cash the checks for multiple treatments. Easier does not equal better for the patient.

#1 Prices do vary for treatments, but patients rarely comparison shop. The "all-inclusive" office is MUCH more expensive because, of course, they tend to refer to each other, so less choice for the dental consumer. Of course, patients can find their own practitioners to compare prices, but they rarely do.
Overhead is phenomenally large in these larger offices, especially as they upgrade to digital technology, and those that take dental "insurance" usually charge more and spend less time with patients.

The cost of dentistry has risen at twice the rate of inflation, primarily because as dental health in the west has gotten much better, practitioners have to find new ways to make $$, hence the rise in "cosmetic dentistry" and redundant or flat-out unnecessary services such as "groove and seal" procedures, overuse of bite-wing X-rays on adults, removal of wisdom teeth that aren't causing trouble, replacing fillings that aren't "leaking," etc.

And no, I don't have some unnatural grudge against dentists. I have a close relative in the industry who is trying to maintain a decent practice while competing against corporate dentists (a la Aspen Dental) and slick price gougers still trying to pay off dental school loans.

As for 1-step vs. 2-step orthodontics, Dr. Timothy Wheeler, eminent scholar at University of Florida, recently completed research that shows that any skeletal movement resulting from Step 1 of treatment had disappeared by time of step 2 treatment, and that there is no harm in waiting until late teens and even early 20s for orthodontic treatment. Yes, teeth move slower with age, but they still move. Start too early, they will move back into the less desired position. Most teen treatment is based on latent social "fears."

Full disclosure: Two of my kids had braces beginning in 7th grade. I would not do 2 step braces, even on recommendation, but I would not wait until college either. Just pointing out it can be done.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 10-17-2012 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: broken link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 08:56 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
DD teeth were all higgeldy piggeldy crooked with some growing way behind others. I was very concerned and just knew they were going to have to pull some teeth no matter when we did braces but our ortho told us that they don't pull teeth for straightening teeth anymore. I was incredibly surprised that the braces gave her such perfect teeth without pulling a bunch of them. She is really goods with her retainer and I'm hoping she might not need the 2nd phase but we are prepared to do whatever it takes. Our ortho enjoys a great reputation and i did get a second opinion but they both said the same thing. Out of seven kids only three (girls) had braces so we are feeling very blessed. I think one reason why I will go for whatever it costs is because my father was too cheap to get me braces when I really needed them and I've had a few problems as an adult because of this.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:13 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
My niece is eight and just had braces put on.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:48 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,162,857 times
My daughter has been seeing an ortho for about 9 years. We didn't do the first stage braces, but instead took care of things with a retainer used to reshape things and it worked beautifully. She has had almost every baby tooth pulled at the dentist, with the final 3 being pulled two weeks before she had braces put on at age 15. Only two of her teeth had roots that dissolved and these were the only ones that fell out on their own. Her adult teeth are much the same size as her baby teeth and this has saved us tremendous trouble. She will have a beautiful smile and have a permanently installed retainer when she is done. By the time she is finished, she will have received 11 years of continuous orthodontic treatment.

What I really wanted to say though is to definitely shop around. We moved a couple of years ago and had find someone to take over her treatment. We got quotes from 3 well respected orthodontists in our area. The price difference between them was astounding.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:02 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,979 times
My fiancee got braces back when we were in the third grade 11 years ago and had them until we were in the seventh grade. Then she had to wear some kind of a special brace afterward to keep her teeth in place.

I remember her teeth were in really bad conditions, they were all twisted and growing at awkward angles, etc. She didn't seem to have any problems nor did she ever complain about having braces at a young age.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:58 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
It's not uncommon around here to see second graders with braces, but I can only assume that these kids will have two-phase treatment and will receive a second set of braces in adolescence.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:14 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,835 times
I had braces when I was 10 and 1/2 and that was in 1971. Needless to say, I was the first in my school to have them. Everyone stared....ugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting