Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 02:23 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times

Advertisements

I'm the OP . So glad I DID NOT WAIT till puberty as some ^^^ suggested. She has beautiful teeth now and is wearing a retainer. Hopefully we won't have to go for the 2nd phase. She is now 10.5 and I think she wore braces up until May . Her teeth are beautiful. A few she lost this summer are growing in crooked and I can see where she might need them again but ortho says not till she is 12 or 13. If I had waited till then to do anything at all her mouth and smile would have been horrible. I don't care how much it costs. Giving her a healthy and happy smile is paramount. It can make all the difference in the world in her self confidence. Luckily her sister has perfect teeth and won't need a thing so it all washes clean in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 02:58 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
hopefully ...
^^^

Old 10-17-2012, 03:53 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times
I know the orthodontists around here don't put braces on until the child loses most, if not all, of their baby teeth. I do think though that they could do thing before brace, at her age now, that could help, such as pulling teeth, maybe more. I would take her to the dentist first, get her teeth cleaned and xrays to make sure her teeth are healthy, and at the same time the dentist can tell you what you should do from here.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:59 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,984 times
We have a great dentist in our area---in fact was just voted best in state. We do routine checkups every six months and through careful observation of xrays, he was able fix a few potential problems by removal of certain baby teeth that we causing problems with the adult teeth. One of my son's bottom front teeth came in really far back in the gum line. With the removal of a problem baby tooth, all his teeth corrected themselves which was pretty amazing to me. Of the two kids though, he will probably need the most work since he has huge teeth and a very small face. He is 10 and there hasn't been any talk of braces yet but I'm sure that is coming.

My 12 year old daughter just saw the orthodontist yesterday for a second evaluation. To me, her teeth look great---space, not crooked. They want to give her braces for a year and a half which surprised me a bit. Even though we do have a great dentist, they were sure pressuring us to sign right on the dotted line which annoyed me slightly. They were the one who called us and suggested the consultation in the first place. One thing that really surprised me is a thin metal band they bond to the teeth---forever. It is a permanant fixture. I asked the orthodontist multiple times if this ever came off and she said no. It keeps the teeth in perfect alignment. For those of you who have kids in braces, is this something your dentist does?

Old 10-17-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
We have a great dentist in our area---in fact was just voted best in state. We do routine checkups every six months and through careful observation of xrays, he was able fix a few potential problems by removal of certain baby teeth that we causing problems with the adult teeth. One of my son's bottom front teeth came in really far back in the gum line. With the removal of a problem baby tooth, all his teeth corrected themselves which was pretty amazing to me. Of the two kids though, he will probably need the most work since he has huge teeth and a very small face. He is 10 and there hasn't been any talk of braces yet but I'm sure that is coming.

My 12 year old daughter just saw the orthodontist yesterday for a second evaluation. To me, her teeth look great---space, not crooked. They want to give her braces for a year and a half which surprised me a bit. Even though we do have a great dentist, they were sure pressuring us to sign right on the dotted line which annoyed me slightly. They were the one who called us and suggested the consultation in the first place. One thing that really surprised me is a thin metal band they bond to the teeth---forever. It is a permanant fixture. I asked the orthodontist multiple times if this ever came off and she said no. It keeps the teeth in perfect alignment. For those of you who have kids in braces, is this something your dentist does?
Extraction of baby teeth often solves a lot of crowding issues. And even though teeth "look" great, sometimes people have jaw alignment or "bite" issues that need to be corrected.

On the "permanent band" thing, though, you definitely need to get a second opinion. Be very wary of anything described as permanent, especially when the patient is 12.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:16 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,672,468 times
The current trend in my neck of the woods, is "all inclusive" dental offices. They have the regular dentists and hygenists as well as orthodontists and oral surgeons all in the same practice. Some even cover pediatrics through adults under the same office. This type of setup has provided us with a lot of information about our kids teeth and future needs. My wife had incredibly crooked teeth and needed two sets of braces, my teeth were much better, but I needed a palate expander. My oldest seems to be taking after my wife.

When he was 5 the dentist reviewed his X-rays and commented on how his adult teeth were forming and that we would need to watch them (do to crowding) as they grew in and he would most likely need braces. Since then they have been monitoring how his teeth are coming in and what he may need. Currently (he is almost 8) we know that he will need braces. When they go on is dependent on when his adult teeth come in. He will most likely need two treatments, one will happen in the next year or so to align and straighten and then he will most likely need a second set around age 11 or 12 as a final move once he gains the rest of his adult molars. The nice part about the two step process is that the majority of the work will be done while he is young and it is easier to move the teeth. It will also help with crowding as the adult teeth come in, meaning the second treatment will be far easier, faster and cheaper as not much work will need to be done.

They were quite clear about saying that the WORST thing you could do is wait until puberty and when all the adult teeth are firmly in place to start. It is much harder to make changes then and is far more complex, especially if you have a lot of issues.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:07 AM

541 posts, read 1,144,832 times
Teeth have memory! They want to go back to their "crooked" ways! My son did not have 2 phases because his issue was mostly jaw alignment not crowding or crooked. He still wears his retainer most of the time. I won't let him wear it in the pool(he's a swimmer) or at water polo matches, impossible to find if it falls out. His teeth will STILL shift after being at a long match or meet and not wearing his retainer.

I believe having 2phases would be better than wearing a retainer at 25!

Old 10-17-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

They were quite clear about saying that the WORST thing you could do is wait until puberty and when all the adult teeth are firmly in place to start. It is much harder to make changes then and is far more complex, especially if you have a lot of issues.
Adult teeth are not "firmly" in place at puberty.

They're there, sure, but definitely not in a fixed position.

And the "all-inclusive" type of dental practice is convenient, but also the most expensive in the long run for patients.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:51 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,672,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Adult teeth are not "firmly" in place at puberty.

They're there, sure, but definitely not in a fixed position.
That part I get, but regardless it is still easier/better to start younger, correct?

Quote:
And the "all-inclusive" type of dental practice is convenient, but also the most expensive in the long run for patients.
How so? I could easily go to different doctors for each issue, but this is more convenient and my insurance is paying the same no matter who I see. Is it being more expensive related to them wanting to "over treat" or something else?

Old 10-17-2012, 09:52 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Extraction of baby teeth often solves a lot of crowding issues. And even though teeth "look" great, sometimes people have jaw alignment or "bite" issues that need to be corrected.

On the "permanent band" thing, though, you definitely need to get a second opinion. Be very wary of anything described as permanent, especially when the patient is 12.

I agree on the second opinion about the band. This band thingie goes on the bottom 4 teeth and is affixed to the top part as well. It almost looks like bridge work. I asked if this was standard practice in dentistry now and she said yes. It stays there forever and the person flosses under it. Dunno. I just have a few concerns and will get another opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting