U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 05:49 PM

17,033 posts, read 14,596,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I was so sad and upset last year putting up our Christmas tree--over half the ornaments were my MILs that she thrusted upon us because she decided she had too many ornaments. I really, really hate that. And she gets really upset if we don't keep something, even though she was getting rid of it in the first place (and it doesn't have any family history). It didn't feel like our tree at all because it didn't have meaning to our family--just a bunch of crap. So maybe this year I will follow suit.

Sorry, totally off subject.
I know what you mean. I mentioned early in our marriage that we didn't have any ornaments and my MIL bought every one in sight for quite a while after that. Now we have too many and a lot are meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 05:55 PM

2,395 posts, read 4,102,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I agree that a lot of the Christmas decor is crap, but the kids like it, and that makes it worth it to me. We have a Little People nativity that they play with, and a lot of Santa stuff. I do have a snowflake bathroom, but snow is new for us, and the kids love that too. I've had years where getting it all out puts me in a worse mood than I was; other years having it out puts me in a more festive mood. To each his own, but, yes, some of you sound like scrooges.
Yeah, crap is not so bad. My kids(2&4) had a blast decorating the tree. If I had expensive and/or memorable ornaments I wouldn't have enjoyed watching them.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:04 PM

410 posts, read 678,207 times
One year my brother and I got a small box of junk food that was ours--no sharing needed. The best christmas we had. We both remember it even 20 years later. It's not about a tree or anything else, but just enjoying yourselves.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:46 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,313,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Yeah, crap is not so bad. My kids(2&4) had a blast decorating the tree. If I had expensive and/or memorable ornaments I wouldn't have enjoyed watching them.
I'm scratching my head...what makes meaningful expensive? Some of my most meaningful decorations are hand made and the beautiful frosted bulbs I bought in a huge package on clearance after Christmas for ten bucks. My favorite ornament is one my sister personalized for us quite a few years ago and I always pick out where that will hang first in my head before the decorations are hung. I personally do it for the kids so that they can enjoy the meaning behind it all. I let them do decorate the tree and they are 4, 5, & 8 and we all enjoyed every moment of it. Putting meaning into Christmas is what we're talking about. having a bunch of junk bought because it is what everyone does only teaches materialism and helps to obscure the real meaning behind Christmas. What are the traditions and why are they being celebrated? Why do people just not care at all about it and would rather focus it on who has the most crap hung up and the most expensive gifts for their kids? What have become of traditions? It is just sad.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:58 PM

2,395 posts, read 4,102,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
I'm scratching my head...what makes meaningful expensive? Some of my most meaningful decorations are hand made and the beautiful frosted bulbs I bought in a huge package on clearance after Christmas for ten bucks. My favorite ornament is one my sister personalized for us quite a few years ago and I always pick out where that will hang first in my head before the decorations are hung. I personally do it for the kids so that they can enjoy the meaning behind it all. I let them do decorate the tree and they are 4, 5, & 8 and we all enjoyed every moment of it. Putting meaning into Christmas is what we're talking about. having a bunch of junk bought because it is what everyone does only teaches materialism and helps to obscure the real meaning behind Christmas. What are the traditions and why are they being celebrated? Why do people just not care at all about it and would rather focus it on who has the most crap hung up and the most expensive gifts for their kids? What have become of traditions? It is just sad.

I just meant that anything that is on my tree right now can be broken and I wouldn't care.
The tree is not a religious thing anyway. I grew up with most people not setting up trees at all. Nativity scenes were another thing. Some people had very elaborate ones with all kind of stuff.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:06 AM

2,212 posts, read 3,165,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I was so sad and upset last year putting up our Christmas tree--over half the ornaments were my MILs that she thrusted upon us because she decided she had too many ornaments. I really, really hate that. And she gets really upset if we don't keep something, even though she was getting rid of it in the first place (and it doesn't have any family history). It didn't feel like our tree at all because it didn't have meaning to our family--just a bunch of crap. So maybe this year I will follow suit.

Sorry, totally off subject.
Off subject, but relevant. My MIL tried the same thing. I kept 2 ornaments out of the 50+ she gave us. Two crystal ornaments that were given to my husband when he was a child. The rest is gone.

It's MY family's house, MY family's tree, and MY family's holiday. My husband could care less about the so-called sentimental part that his mom thought was so precious, so even though she makes little remarks, after years of practice, I just let that stuff roll off my back. If she thought they were so wonderful, she could have kept them. We've been married for 10 years and so we have collected things over those years that mean something to OUR family. Our tree is filled with ornaments that mean something to us. Heck, even the Christmas towels for the guest bathrooms were purchased at a craft's fair when we were on vacation.

Every single person who is reading this thread needs to take Christmas back from whatever mess it's become. If you hate Christmas, then you are doing it wrong. I only say this as someone with experience. I wasn't always that way...at the beginning of our marriage 10 years ago, it was shopping-spree city with massive credit card debt due in January. Now, it's much more peaceful with truly quiet moments where we just sit in the living room with all of the lights off and the Christmas tree lights on, listening to Christmas music, talking about our day and enjoying each other's company. Over the years, we've learned about what's important and have stopped hosting a Christmas party at our house, stopped sending Christmas cards out to people who we really don't care what they're doing anymore, stopped buying stuff just so we have a lot of presents under the tree. We still do most of the standard Christmas stuff, but have pared it down to including only those who we truly care about and want to keep in touch with. It's cheaper, more sentimental, and more worth the effort.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:34 AM

8,182 posts, read 11,543,123 times
Quote:

That's probably why suzie02 clearly stated "and/or" in her line.
She at no time said the only ornaments that meant something to her were the expensive ones.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:36 PM

25,634 posts, read 17,251,672 times
I did a holiday purge awhile back. My kids are now both over 18 and I was just tired of the fuss and mess of the holidays. There were a few years I actually HATED christmas and didn't even put up a tree until a couple days before, and only because my kids got mad at me! I bagged up all decorations and gave them away. I got rid of the big artificial tree we had used for 12 years, and the house lights (many strings/styles with many burned out and broken bulbs) went into the trash.

Now all my christmas decorations are in the storage bag we keep the new, smaller artificial tree in. It's prestrung with lights and I decorated it with "picks", berries, flowers, pinecones, etc on wire sticks that I twisted right onto the brances so I never have to take them off. It's a beautful, natural, woodland looking tree. And I literally have "Christmas In A Bag".

This year there is no big family dinner, and very few gifts, and I think it will be more special this way.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:45 PM

2,212 posts, read 3,165,663 times
Quote:
Putting meaning into Christmas is what we're talking about. having a bunch of junk bought because it is what everyone does only teaches materialism and helps to obscure the real meaning behind Christmas. What are the traditions and why are they being celebrated? Why do people just not care at all about it and would rather focus it on who has the most crap hung up and the most expensive gifts for their kids? What have become of traditions?
That's why it's important to decide what YOU want to do for Christmas. Every family is different and every family can figure out what's important to them. It does take a while and sometimes you do have to swim against the tide, but if you keep your eye on the prize, defend your family's right to celebrate the way YOU want to, you will have a much more happy, peaceful and memorable Christmas.

I even stayed home from church one year because we were starting to get overwhelmed, and IMHO, yelling at the kids "to get your stupid Christmas dresses on! We're late and we have no time to open a present before we go! Hurry! Hurry! Hurry!!!" somehow took the joy out of attending the candlelight service. I thought about it and wondered..."why am I doing this? Am I in the right frame of mind to go to church? Am I only going to be worried about finding parking, a seat, what my kids look like?" We stayed home, read the Christmas story from a Christian children's book I got from my grandmother years before, and went to church the next year. My oldest daughter didn't even remember that we didn't go to church that last year. When we were getting ready for church, I said to her, "I'm looking forward to hearing the choir since we didn't hear them last year" and she said, "we didnt?" No harm done.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:00 PM

3,238 posts, read 5,831,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Ok, has anyone ever just cancelled Christmas? Perhaps that sounds a little drastic, but we're just getting on our feet financially after 3 years of unemployment & underemployment, and are just rounding the bend into being in the black. we're not there, but on our way. Now there's Christmas staring us in the face.

We really don't need anything, anything we'd buy would just be a bunch of stuff for the sake of buying something. I'm trying to get rid of stuff, because we want to put our house for sale and hope to move within the first part of next year. We really don't need extra stuff.

Also, we have 20 boxes of Christmas stuff in the attic. That tree is a monster that demands to be the center of attention each year. I feel I've become a slave to it. Half the holiday is spent putting it up, half spent taking it down. This year I found a cute little table top tree, that's it. Really, nothing else. No, I mean it, that's it, no wreaths on every door, no bows on the mailbox, no special santa towels in the bathroom, no cutsie decorations in the kitchen, really, that tree is it!

Also, no gifts! Ok, the kids are getting a gift certificate, amount to be determined (depends on how they behave between now and then). Christmas Eve we go out to dinner, no shopping, cooking, cleaning, who needs it? Then a church service, then perhaps we exchange one gift (ok I'm relenting a little) then Christmas morning, I get to sleep in. Yippie! We just wake up when we do, no free-for-all under the tree, no big mess to clean up, we give the kids their gift card, I have a store-bought prepared dinner, we eat, then perhaps see a movie, then, well, the day's over, we had a nice time, and while the rest of the world is exhausted, cleaning up wrapping paper, cleaning dishes, etc, and wondering how in heck they will pay for all that stuff, we just go off to sweet dreams until next year.

Sound like a plan? So, whadda ya think?
Love it. Where do I sign up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting