U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 01:46 PM

8,640 posts, read 14,688,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That means that it only kills the lice, not the eggs. I'm just clarifying for anyone who thought they would only need to use it once.
That is correct, and that is a good point. The info I read about the Ulesfia said that it must be used twice. I assume since it's a prescription that all that kind of info would be included with the instructions though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 12:29 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,377,532 times
I haven't had to deal with this problem for YEARS now...since we let a friend and her little ones live with us for a while. Her kids' family had a problem and every time the girls would go visit, they'd come back with headlice. We used tea tree added to shampoo.....cut their hair in a shorter style, washed, vacuumed and sprayed everything religiously, and bought an expensive nit comb at the pharmacy which we used to keep the hair combed. Every day they got their heads washed with the shampoo to which we had added tea tree. We added about 1 oz of pure tea tree oil to 8 oz of shampoo. It worked like a charm. Good luck to you....it's such a frustrating thing to have to deal with.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:22 PM

7,984 posts, read 8,157,435 times
I have not had to deal with it for yrs also but my neighbor next door had them and she told me that her dr had said that those lice shampoos , that are sold over the counter arent very good anymore and they only kill half the lice . so he suggested a prescription shampoo and she never had another problem with em and also she took every stuffed toy outside in a plastic bag and wash laundry in hot water and bleach .

Old 12-14-2009, 11:44 PM

2,465 posts, read 3,063,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I have not had to deal with it for yrs also but my neighbor next door had them and she told me that her dr had said that those lice shampoos , that are sold over the counter arent very good anymore and they only kill half the lice . so he suggested a prescription shampoo and she never had another problem with em and also she took every stuffed toy outside in a plastic bag and wash laundry in hot water and bleach .
That is exactly what my OB told me when I was pregnant and had an outbreak of lice in my home. My son got them while he was visiting his dad then gave them to my sister who then gave them to us when she came to visit. (she didn't know that she had them until a day or so into her visit) We went and got the over the counter stuff but it wasn't working so when I went to my OB appointment I asked the Dr. what she recommended us doing. She wrote out a prescription and bam the lice was gone, that is until my son came home from visitation and re-infected us all over again.

I also washed everything that could be washed, put things that couldn't be washed in plastic bags, bug bombed and vaccumed everywhere. I did that even when we used the over the counter lice shampoo, but because the OTC shampoo wasn't as effective I had to wash, and re-wash everything, vaccumed and bug bombed numerous times. But after we got the prescription I only had to re-wash everything, vaccumed and bug bombed one last time and that was after we got re-infected when my son came home.

My son got head lice again while he was visiting his dad and brought them home. I was PG that time as well and because I did not want to go through almost another month of trying to get rid of the darn things I went and got a prescription from my Dr. and dealt with them straight away. I only had to wash everything, vaccumed everywhere and bug bombed once. We washed our hair twice in one weeks time with the prescription shampoo and my kids never missed one day of school because of them.

When I got PG for the last time I threatened my son with his life he brought back headlice again. LOL!! Thankfully he didn't and I haven't had to deal with them for a little over 11 years.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:08 AM

153 posts, read 135,729 times
You have my sympathy! I dealt with this problem years ago when we first moved to our current community. I think the head louse is this school district's "honorary mascot". Until then, my kids had been in city schools where you'd think they'd be rampant, but I never saw a head louse until we moved to this small rural community. My oldest daughter's first sleep-over friend brought them into our house. I noticed she wasn't very clean, and made her shower and wash her hair before getting into bed, but one sleep-over was all it took. It took me months and over a hundred dollars in shampoos and sprays, not to mention the indignity of having my two daughters sit in the bathtub together while I spent an hour nitcombed them. From then on, I examined every little girl's head before letting them sleep over.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 942 times
There is so much misinformation out there! Great site has tons of great information and products that remove lice and the nits using natural ingredients. They also sell the best metal comb to remove the smallest nits. [url=http://www.fairytaleshaircare.com]Welcome To Fairy Tales Hair Care[/url]

Old 12-17-2009, 08:29 AM

3,377 posts, read 5,793,043 times
While you're busy cleaning and vacuuming, don't forgot the most important step - removing the vacuum bag immediately, tying it off in plastic and tossing it after each room.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:21 PM

329 posts, read 483,177 times
Sorry you're going through this hell. I've battled successfully on two separate occasions.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Use RID as instructed.
2. Afterwards, slather hair with mayo and cover with a grocery store bag and a twisty tie.
3. Once covered, blow dry the head for two minutes.
4. After 30 min or longer (and I recommend longer), wash and rinse hair.
5. With 50/50 water/vinegar solution, spray the hair and remove nits with a nit comb.
4. Repeat twice a day for three/four days.

I covered all my seating with sheets; it's easy to remove and dry. Also, heat dry anything having contact with hair.

Good Luck!

Old 12-18-2009, 01:13 PM

2,907 posts, read 4,192,820 times
Speaking of....working in my son's class today and his teacher has notes to pass out that a child has lice...she comments it's the gift that keeps on giving. sheesh.

Thankfully it's my son this time that has been exposed and not my daughter who has a huge head of hair! No signs of any on him!

Old 12-18-2009, 02:12 PM

8,552 posts, read 9,886,277 times
Here's what NOT to do...

DO NOT use peanut butter....Yep, someone years ago told my wife to do that and she did....We like to have never got the peanut butter out of our daughters hair...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting