Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:20 AM

412 posts, read 1,227,145 times

Advertisements

About a month ago I discovered head lice on my daughter. We spent about a week and a half trying different treatments and did lots of combing. I also realized a few days into the ordeal that I had it as well. I think I know where we got it from, and we haven't been around that person again. I thought the problem was gone, but a few days ago discovered lice on my daughter's head again. I had someone look at my head, and I have it as well. Most of them are babies, so I am assuming we missed some nits last time, and they have hatched and laid more eggs. It is possible that I never fully got rid of them on my own head the first time. I had to rely on my boyfriend to do the nit-extracting on my head...and he can't even part hair, much less thoroughly get all the nits out!

We have tried Nix (which seems to work the best at killing the live lice), olive oil, tree tea oil, lotions, mouthwash, vinegar. I have tried to pick all of nits out of her hair (several times....this is the tedious awful part!) but every time I look at her head again I find more. I have been washing sheets and blankets daily, and spraying daily, etc. All of her stuffed animals are still tied in plastic bags in her closet from last time. Luckily we have hardwood floors in most rooms but I still vacuum the rugs. So in other words I am doing all of the correct procedures to clean the house.

If anyone has any ideas, please post them! She can't go back to school until all of the nits and lice are gone, and has missed too many days of school because of this problem!

Last edited by wilmingtonangel; 12-08-2009 at 06:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 06:31 AM

758 posts, read 1,867,718 times
We dealt with this twice. The only effective thing we could do is just keep picking them out. It's a crummy thing but a couple times a day we would go through her hair and pick them out one by one. We also put olive oil in her hair at night and put a shower cap on to protect the bedding.

If we never have to deal with this again it will be too soon. Good luck.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:36 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,848,601 times
The best thing is to get a prescription from the doctor. The lice seem to have become immune to most of the over the counter medications. When using the stuff don't just use it on your head, you should also use it on the rest of your body so lather up from head to toe. Lice will run down and find other areas to hide while you are just washing your hair, then they will venture back up once you are done. The medication from the doctor is strong so be sure to follow their instructions to a T.

Be sure to wash everything that can be washed, like bedding and clothes and anything that can't be washed like stuffed animals put into large plastic bags and put them outdoors for a couple weeks. I found some bug bombs that had the main ingredient that you find in NIX and set them off in my house to take care of everything else that couldn't be washed or stuffed in a plastic bag like furniture and carpets. I can't right off think of the name for the bug bombs, but I found them at Wal-mart. Just read the lables on both the NIX and the bug bombs.

I wish you luck, I know how you feel and like another poster said if I never have to deal with lice again it will be to soon.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:42 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,755,385 times
Call the school nurse. She could be catching them from school again and again and again. The nurse needs to do a head lice check of all students. Not all parents are as attentive as you.

I've never had the problem, but I have friends who did and they needed to wash EVERYTHING---including clothing that was already clean.

All textiles need to be cleaned at the same time as the treatment. That means opening your drawers and closets and washing everything in them in addition to bedding.

Last edited by Hopes; 12-08-2009 at 08:03 AM..

Old 12-08-2009, 07:58 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,848,601 times
I found a can of the bug bomb I was talking about. It is called HOT SHOT and mine is a blue can and says No Mess Fogger on it. The indedient to look for is Piperonyl Butoxide.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:22 AM

I didn't think of the bug bombs. I actually already had some in my house (I live in the south so I have to let off bug bombs about once a year) that have the same ingredient as the hair stuff...permethrin.

I did inform the school nurse because I know they check the whole class. Last time no one else in the class had it except my daughter, although I have not asked this time.

I am really trying to avoid the prescription strength chemicals. It is a very strong chemical and has been linked to leukemia & cancer. But if nothing else works I may have to try that as a last resort.

I did a little research, and I found a lady that owns a business of extracting nits from the hair. She's $40/hour though

Old 12-08-2009, 08:28 AM

758 posts, read 1,867,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmingtonangel View Post
I didn't think of the bug bombs. I actually already had some in my house (I live in the south so I have to let off bug bombs about once a year) that have the same ingredient as the hair stuff...permethrin.

I did inform the school nurse because I know they check the whole class. Last time no one else in the class had it except my daughter, although I have not asked this time.

I am really trying to avoid the prescription strength chemicals. It is a very strong chemical and has been linked to leukemia & cancer. But if nothing else works I may have to try that as a last resort.

I did a little research, and I found a lady that owns a business of extracting nits from the hair. She's $40/hour though

Wow that is pretty expensive, but as I was going through it I might have paid it.

When you wash the bedding and clothes, make sure your dryer is on the highest heat setting, it is the heat that kills everything.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:45 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,229,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmingtonangel View Post

I think there may actually be some new things out (prescription level) to deal with lice. They may have strong side effects too. I don't know, but your doctor probably does. I understand there is a new tablet out to deal with them and awhile back I was reading about something new that "smothers" the lice like olive oil and mayo but is apparently more effective than the home remedies. Again, I would check with doctor. If you don't like the options he gives, don't use them but he may have something new worth trying that would not be harmful.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:47 AM

I just called the lady that owns the lice extracting business and talked to her about 20 minutes. She is going to come over tomorrow evening to go through my daughter's hair so she can go back to school on Thursday. Because of time constraints (I'm a college professor and this week is finals week....so missing work is out of the question), she will have to come back this weekend to go through my hair.

It is expensive...but hopefully worth it! I know I will not get rid of this problem until all nits are gone.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I think there may actually be some new things out (prescription level) to deal with lice. They may have strong side effects too. I don't know, but your doctor probably does. I understand there is a new tablet out to deal with them and awhile back I was reading about something new that "smothers" the lice like olive oil and mayo but is apparently more effective than the home remedies. Again, I would check with doctor. If you don't like the options he gives, don't use them but he may have something new worth trying that would not be harmful.
If I can't get rid of them myself, I am definitely calling the doctor to look for more suggestions/treatments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting