Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 02:38 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,716,559 times

Advertisements

On the topic of museums: lots of museums (of all kinds, as well as related places like historic sites, nature centers, etc.) offer free days or events, so if you like to go to those sorts of places don't give up hope if you don't want to pay the general admission. We go to the library a lot, too; besides just regular visits and storytimes they also often sponsor other free or low-cost family events. You might want to check out what's available at any local colleges or universities. While most things are obviously not geared towards young kids, there are still often a lot of low-cost or free fun things available on campus that could also work for younger kids. College campuses (depending on school, of course) can be fun places for kids, and make a nice change of pace from the usual. My son isn't old enough to take advantage of the free concerts yet, but colleges are also a great place for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 03:08 PM

526 posts, read 1,002,413 times
I second museums. Many libraries have area museum passes that you can check out for a certian time period. They offer discounted and/or free access. Just try to steer clear of the gift shop!

Old 12-12-2009, 06:47 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,062,133 times
1. I will also say Libraries. Even though we have to pay here to join the library in the next town (Vermont has crappy libraries. We go to one in NH), it was worth the 100 and something dollars for the year. They have a calculator on their website about 'how much you use the library and what it is worth' and we use over $5,000 worth of services (borrowing books/cds/dvds) a year for our $100 investment.

I am used to NY superior libraries so this was a big shock to me seeing how expensive it is in VT but the libraries (at least in my area) are subpar at best. Our library here offers passes for local museums as well, either free or reduced rates.

2. We do a lot of walking with the dog. It's healthy, you have to do it anyhow, and costs nothing. We have a lot of parks and trails. In winter, well, you get on your boots and keep doing it.

3. We watch tv a lot or get free dvds from the library.

4. We do enjoy computer games/videogames

5. We all read a lot. (see #1)

6. Sometimes we do board games but my son and I prefer videogames.

7. When my son was younger, we did a lot of crafts, played games, puppet shows and did a lot of creative play.

One thing is we have never had a lot of money so we do not do 'retail' family events like so many people. We eat out sparingly (not at all now) and that is a big deal for us (normally we'd do it for lunch).

Once in a blue moon we go to the movies (daytime).

I don't know how to live anyway else but frugally.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:04 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,934,937 times
Great ideas here!

My kids love playing board games, doing crafts, baking. Before any extended school break, we sit down with the kids and brainstorm things to do. Then we pick one for each day and that becomes that day's "thing".

We'll usually have a puzzle running on a back table and watching TV isn't on the schedule (but happens a lot)

We'll have "board game day" - every family member chooses 2 rounds of a game. Each member gets one veto. We'll do a visit to the library as another day's activity, Christmas lights, junk food dinner, slumber parties, movie night (on demand, $4.99 for 4 plus "free" popcorn, soda and snacks), Wii/Rockband night, Boxing Day (day after Christmas, kids in charge), crafts, banking, bowling ($25 will cover 2 games each, plus shoes and 1 pitcher of soda), tree decorating (we do this together the first day of winter break). They'll have friends in and out and seasonal (visitation) friends coming and going too.

These are just some ideas from "broke" years. After Christmas, they're usually busy with their new stuff and then ds & dh's bdays (29th & 31st).

Old 12-12-2009, 08:20 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,062,133 times
Rep points for everyone! (if I didn't have to spread the love and you didn't get one, sorry).

Great, great ideas.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,658,365 times
Hiking, camping, horsebackriding, bike riding, rent a movie, playing with dogs, walking a dog - it doesn't take all that much money for a family to enjoy good times.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:13 PM

511 posts, read 2,198,537 times
We live in a small town (35,000 + or so) but there are quite a few things to do. It still surprises me how much this little (but growing) town has to offer, even though I have been living here for 10 years.

YMCA- their fees are based on income. Our Y has two indoor pools (one for laps, one for fun) a huge indoor playplace that puts McD's playplace to shame, an indoor walking track, basketball courts, racketball courts, fitness gyms, and classes for all ages (art, music, fitness, ect).

We also take advantage of the fun activities the town offers- a Christmas Stroll w/ free hayrides, free hot dogs/cocoa/popcorn, fun music, ect. There is a free community dinner where everyone gets a big helping of a real thanksgiving meal and Santa & Mrs. Clause hand out candy canes & toys to kids. It's open to any members of the community. In the summer there are street festivals every month, farmers markets every week, and rodeo and the fair.

Can't forget the parks! In the summer it's fun to walk to the park to play & visit the ice cream stand ($1.00/cone). There's free concerts in the park every week of the summer and free outdoor movies for kids. In the winter there's sledding at the parks that have good hills. And we also have an ice skating rink as well as a roller rink, though I'm not sure how much they cost (Probably not much).

We have a bowling alley and a movie theatre, both cost less then the same activities cost when I lived in Colorado, and both run specials. There is Jackpot bowling where you can win cash prizes and the movie theatre offers $0.75 tickets to kids shows over the summer ($.75 will get each ticket holder into the movie with a soda, a popcorn, and a candy. And yes, adults can acompany their kids for the same deal) Right now the theatre is offering kid movies every Saturday, each person can get a ticket by giving two canned food items.

All that said I haven't even touched on all of the outdoor activities, seeing as how we live at the base of a mountain range. Hiking, horsebacking, fishing, hunting, boating, spelunking, wildlife viewing, ect.

There's plenty of low cost things out there, even if your town dose not offer events & activities, just sitting down & making something together, using imagination, going for a walk, making cookies, ect. You don't need $$$ to have a good time

Old 12-12-2009, 03:35 PM

124 posts, read 470,213 times
I know some of these have already been mentioned...

Movies at home night are a big hit at our house. We either borrow from the library or dig up something from our home collection we haven't watched in awhile. This is great around the holidays since nobody watches the Christmas movies during the rest of the year.

We make popcorn on the stove, the old-fashioned way. The kids think it's fun, and if they're old enough they can help shake the pot, or if its a popper they get to turn the crank. It's much cheaper and healthier than the microwave stuff. Sometimes I make pizza or hotdogs and we eat dinner with the movie too, which is a treat in our house since we almost always eat at the table.

Libraries rock when you're on a budget! So do parks. Even in areas that charge for museum entry, they often have special days where the fee is waived or reduced. Think ahead for next year now. If there are certain places you like to go to several times a year and they have an annual pass deal, it could be worth it to buy those passes as christmas gifts now. It's a gift that does double-duty so that you can go out later at minimal expense.

For some Christmas time fun, scout out local light displays. Some people really go out and often it encourages their neighbors to step it up too. Then take the kids on a night time drive to look at the light displays, while listening to Christmas music in the car. You can finish off the excursion by having some cocoa with marshmallows and cookies while talking about which houses/streets were your favorites.

Bake and decorate christmas cookies together. Even younger kids can at least put some sprinkles on cookies without too much trouble. The kids can even make up plates of cookies they decorated themselves to give as gifts to friends and relatives.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:44 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,911,556 times
Make crafts to decorate the house--and for presents! I'm sure there are some great craft sites out there. One year, I cut up a cardboard egg carton and my son painted them. Then I threaded string through the top, attached a bell to the bottom and tied the top in a loop and voilla! He made bells for the tree (we just put them on again). Every day could be a new craft: snowflakes, paper chains, popcorn garland, etc.

Also see if there is an environmental/science non-profit in your area. Many times they will have snowshoes to rent for lowcost or have free weekends where they have interpreters, free rentals, hot chocolate, etc.

Check out the tiny towns around you (2,000 pop. or so). Many towns have holiday weekends with caroling, hayrides, and fun window shopping (and free cookies and hot drinks from the business owners). We have gone to so many of these and they are fun because everyone is so merry (and we never buy anything, we just have fun looking and talking with people).

And of course, there are endless things to do in the snow!

Old 12-13-2009, 05:56 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,190,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post

If there are certain places you like to go to several times a year and they have an annual pass deal, it could be worth it to buy those passes as christmas gifts now. It's a gift that does double-duty so that you can go out later at minimal expense.
Not to mention that many places offer reciprocity. A Zoo pass might offer free days at the Aquarium, the Science Center, or half off one of the museums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting