U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:21 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,514,558 times

Advertisements

when I was a little girl my mom used to say "I hope you have one just like you!"....I've told my kids (4 of them) about it, and my 2 daughters really take it to heart, we call it "the curse". When one of them gets in that begging, needing mood or just gets emotional (they're 14 &17!) I'll say "do you want me to put that curse on you?!" It immediately lightens the mood....

I've also told them, when they start with the "but" line, "there are no buts in Heaven"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 09:37 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,514,558 times
and here's another one which I will use when one of them gets home from school today...

"if it comes to the laundry room still folded I AM NOT washing it!"

why don't ALL the clothes make it to the bureau?

Old 05-22-2007, 11:41 AM

1,372 posts, read 4,757,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
and here's another one which I will use when one of them gets home from school today...

I have to used this one on my teenager

"wow josh, how thoughtful of you to fold your clothes before I wash them"

Old 05-22-2007, 05:33 PM

8,668 posts, read 19,922,306 times
"fine, you can tell your psychiatrist about it when your're 35, but that's the way we're doing things..." or something to that effect. This is best used for a teen-ager!

Old 05-22-2007, 06:42 PM

550 posts, read 2,542,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post

I am to the point (with my teenager) that I don't bother to say anything anymore. I just keep it folded and put it in his clean pile. If it is that important for him to smell nice and clean he will stop mixing dirty and clean! It is so RUDE they do this!

Old 05-22-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post
I am to the point (with my teenager) that I don't bother to say anything anymore. I just keep it folded and put it in his clean pile. If it is that important for him to smell nice and clean he will stop mixing dirty and clean! It is so RUDE they do this!
I refuse to wash inside out clothes I put them on their bed again and again until they figure it out

Old 05-22-2007, 07:07 PM

3,091 posts, read 8,208,583 times
When my daughter was 12, I was still doing the laundry every Monday. As she got close to her 13th, there was one Monday I wasn't feeling good at all so I figured Tuesday was soon enough. None of us were out of underwear YET.

Anyway, she came down Tuesday morning asking why I had not done the laundry...told her I had not felt good. She started yelling and getting pissy. I turned on her and told her that SHE could do her on laundry from that point on if it was that important to her...

SIX weeks later, she finally did her laundry. Guess it wasn't as critical as she made it out to be.

She's been doing her own ever since...she's 21 now. Liz

Old 05-22-2007, 07:37 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,607,315 times
In trying to help my first year college daughter decide what career path she wanted to follow by trying to get her to examine her likes and dislikes, she said "I don't like kids, I don't like old people, and I don't want to touch anyone!"
She is really a sweetheart though!

Old 05-22-2007, 08:00 PM

63 posts, read 164,141 times
In my house, the ones you hear the most are:
1. Bleeding or Dying? If not, go work it out.

2. What goes around, comes around.

3. With privileges come responsibilities.

4. Give me the "Who/What's" then I will let you know.
(My kids must fill in who, what, when, where, why, and how" before I will answer their questions of, "Mom, can I go, buy, see, do....etc".)

Old 05-22-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XinaMarie View Post
In my house, the ones you hear the most are:
1. Bleeding or Dying? If not, go work it out.

2. What goes around, comes around.

3. With privileges come responsibilities.

4. Give me the "Who/What's" then I will let you know.
(My kids must fill in who, what, when, where, why, and how" before I will answer their questions of, "Mom, can I go, buy, see, do....etc".
)
yeah that usually works around here but my 15 yr old daughter tells a story longer than the Illiad just to ask if her friend can spend the night

my big problem now is the fact that
for some reason my teenagers can't remember when they were 7
so they think that I baby my 7 yr old

as in
"why doesn't kevin have to fold his clothes or do the dishes?"

I say
"For the same reason he doesn't get to go off for the whole weekend on a camping trip with his friends"
They just don't get it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or