Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 11:35 AM

504 posts, read 1,763,979 times

Advertisements

Many hands make light work.
This is not a restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 02:06 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,379 times
Default Chiming in late...

This thread is hilarious!

I've only skimmed the thread, so far, but it seems like all of you are handling your kids great! Humor (and pithy sayings) are great disciplinary tools.

My dd is wayyyy too serious, so simple sayings and humor don't get me anywhere usually. (Sometimes, it seems like I've lost my sense of humor because of it. )

However, I have one mantra that doesn't seem to offend: Actions have consequences! The consequences can be good, or they can be bad. It's up to you! (Definitely not funny, but now that she's a teen, she's seeing the truth of this in the real world.)

Old 06-03-2007, 08:12 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,787,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Yeah, I can say I have been guilty of that one too

I also tell them if I don't get you, God will! And I don't say that to be mean, but SOO many times, one of my kids have done something to me...run by and smack me (just playing around of course) or whatever it may be, then they turn around and fall, or run into the wall or something to get them back

Gotta love it!
I use this scenerio with my kids alot, too. I tell them that there are angels all around us just to take care of little things, like when one of them thinks they get away with doing something bad and then gets hurt completely out of nowhere, I like to say, see the angel was watching and pushed you down. Funny how that works, huh?

I used to tell them to not come and get me unless they were bleeding or the house was on fire. Well it seemed that they could bleed over the tinyest incidents so now they have to be bleeding form the head and about to lose consciencnous (bad spelling sorry, I'll look it up later).

Old 06-21-2011, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,061 times
when my sisters or I would say I WISH....... and whatever it may be we got this from our mother
'wish in one hand.. poo(not that nice word) in the other which on gets fuller faster... "
also heard if we wanted to do something one of our friends were doing (such as going skating) and she would say no.. if we said oh this person gets to do everything...my mom would say ' if so and so jumped off the bridge would u?' well yea i did anyways just to prove a point.. LOL i love my mom she has been there for everything in my life good and bad. there were alot of things she would say to us that i use on both my 16 yr old and 14 yr old. life may go by faster then we want but our memories will last forever.. thank u for listening ...

Old 06-21-2011, 08:16 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
If my kids are starting trouble and then go running to me for sympathy I tell them "If you go looking for trouble, you will probably find it."

If they ask why I let one of their brothers do something I always tell them it's "because I like him better."

Old 06-22-2011, 07:15 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times
I've got a million of them, but I have to let them come to me. I used 2 this morning though.

DD asked when she could have something that I would have to buy for her. My response: As soon as you get a job.

A bit later DD scraped her elbow on a door jamb. Any time she gets hurt, our way of checking the seriousness of the injury is to say "I guess we will have to chop her arm off since it is completely useless now." We say it in a completely exasperated tone. Then we go over to her and one of us holds her down while the other pretends to chop off her arm. If she says "No. Don't chop it off, then I switch over to "Fine. I guess I will have to chew it off. This will take more time though." She always starts giggling. If she doesn't giggle, then we take a closer look at the injury.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:36 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Lately it's

"Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing. " Abraham Lincoln

and

"A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation." Mark Twain (only I change man to girl for my dd who has decided that posting four letter words on facebook is acceptable because "That's what people think of me anyway".)

Old 06-22-2011, 10:16 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
I used to tell my kids to be careful cause if they cut themselves(carving etc) I was going to stitch them up myself........if they asked me where I am going ..I'd say crazy.....more than once I've used the old well used.......If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:26 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
my all time favorite, my son would tell me once and a while with his smart mouth,
Papa, "get a life"........

my (Papa) response : I have one, it just isn't the one I want------

Old 06-25-2011, 09:02 AM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times
After the "I want XYZ", the response is "People in Hell want ice water, but that doesn't mean they're gonna get it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting