U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-09-2007, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Ohio, but moving to El Paso, TX August/September
431 posts, read 1,522,713 times
Reputation: 278

Advertisements

I have fraternal 3 year old boys. People also always ask me if they are identical. One has blue eyes, the other brown.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-10-2007, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Maple Valley, WA
980 posts, read 2,956,096 times
Reputation: 416
This is a cool thread...you all have beautiful kids!

We've been trying for six months now - I'm beginning to get a little discouraged.

Just wanted to contribute because I would LOVE to have a set of twins. What a joy that would be!! Twins run on my dad's side of the family, but I've read that the twin gene runs on the mother's side - anyone here experience the opposite? Gimme a little hope!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2007, 04:16 PM
 
Location: CA for 11 more days-then back home to KY
24 posts, read 64,914 times
Reputation: 33
Another twin mom here. We have 5 yr. old boy/girl twins. Never a dull moment in the house and we wouldn't have it any other way. However, we are DONE.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2007, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Ohio, but moving to El Paso, TX August/September
431 posts, read 1,522,713 times
Reputation: 278
Quote:
Twins run on my dad's side of the family, but I've read that the twin gene runs on the mother's side
Yes, and you'd be the mother. It's the genetic predisposition to ovulate more than one egg at a time (if it's fraternals). If the twins were fraternal, you may have inherited that gene which would make it more likely. Even though your father obviously can't ovulate, he could pass down the genetic predisposition to ovulate to you since you get part of your genetic makeup from him too.

If the twins in his family are identical, then that is still up for debate if that is a genetic trait or not. The biggest problem is that the sample sizes are so small, that there have not been any statistically significant studies on what causes identical twinning and if there is a genetic link (and if there is, is it based off of the mother's genes or the father's).

** ETA.. I should mention, I assumed you were female (Mrs. Engle). However, if you are Mr. Sengle, then the twins in your dad's side will not affect your chances of twins since you don't ovulate, it's the wife's genetics that are the key.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2007, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Maple Valley, WA
980 posts, read 2,956,096 times
Reputation: 416
emjbulls - yes, I am Mrs. Engle! Thank you for clarifying the genetics
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2007, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
145 posts, read 466,243 times
Reputation: 177
I am a fraternal twin, boy/girl combo. As babies our mother was often asked if we were identical. As an adult, married mother I too have been asked if my brother and I are identical... riiight! But it was terrific growing up with a twin. Some of the questions asked are really far out like,"Do you feel the others pain?" - nope. As toddlers we had our own language because we were always together and developed our own shorthand. When we would get together, even as adults, people would remark that we spoke so fast and it was hard for them to follow. My brother recently passed and I have to remind myself that he's gone. Now it feels like I'm one side of a scale and the other side is empty. I feel that if you're lucky your twin is your dearest and best friend. Mine was.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 05:42 AM
 
20,793 posts, read 52,363,417 times
Reputation: 10471
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebOver View Post
I am a fraternal twin, boy/girl combo. As babies our mother was often asked if we were identical. As an adult, married mother I too have been asked if my brother and I are identical... riiight! But it was terrific growing up with a twin. Some of the questions asked are really far out like,"Do you feel the others pain?" - nope. As toddlers we had our own language because we were always together and developed our own shorthand. When we would get together, even as adults, people would remark that we spoke so fast and it was hard for them to follow. My brother recently passed and I have to remind myself that he's gone. Now it feels like I'm one side of a scale and the other side is empty. I feel that if you're lucky your twin is your dearest and best friend. Mine was.

Did you and your brother go to college? If so, did you go to the same one, different ones? Was that hard? Our twins are amazingly close and even being apart for a couple days is hard on them--granted they are only 12 now but it is something I have been wondering about and is in the back of my mind.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
145 posts, read 466,243 times
Reputation: 177
Are your twins boy/girl? We had polar opposite career strengths. I work as a designer in product development and he was very successful in banking. After high school he went right into the Navy for four years and I dabbled in Jr. College and bartended. When he came out of the Navy he was my roommate for two years, then we each moved to attend our respective colleges. We kept in touch with lots of phone calls and trips home for the holidays were epic and eagerly anticipated. I think that as we grew into different stages kid, teen, adult, we grew to where we were fine on our own but cherrished any time together. Teen years are difficult because one twin is a harsh critic of the others love interests.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2007, 11:49 AM
 
20,793 posts, read 52,363,417 times
Reputation: 10471
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebOver View Post
Are your twins boy/girl? We had polar opposite career strengths. I work as a designer in product development and he was very successful in banking. After high school he went right into the Navy for four years and I dabbled in Jr. College and bartended. When he came out of the Navy he was my roommate for two years, then we each moved to attend our respective colleges. We kept in touch with lots of phone calls and trips home for the holidays were epic and eagerly anticipated. I think that as we grew into different stages kid, teen, adult, we grew to where we were fine on our own but cherrished any time together. Teen years are difficult because one twin is a harsh critic of the others love interests.

Yes, they are b/g. I HOPE that DD has a hard time dating because her brothers put the word out that if they mess with their sister, they mess with them . I am not too worried about the boys yet because they don't have much interest in girls yet but there have been plenty of boys sniffing around my DD.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top