U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:08 PM

516 posts, read 1,711,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I am probably ridiculously old-fashioned in this area, but I named all of my kids traditional names. None of my kids ever have to answer the questions, "How do you pronounce that?" or "How do you spell that?" except from the occasional person who thinks that surely every child's name nowadays is spelled with silent letters and extra vowels. The kids' names all have multiple nickname variations, and our son has a typical set of initials he can use if he wants.

I'm with you on that! Remember, you're not just naming your baby.... you're naming a person who will be called that name forever! The funky spellings make life hard for kids and, ultimately, when they become adults. Picture the name on a resume. Sounds silly, but it's important.... later on! Also, beware the initials. Make sure you're not spelling something that will look terrible on a monogram. I know of someone's whose intials are A.P.E. Yikes! Also, stay away from vowels for girl's middle names.... (ex. Rachel Anne Smith can turn into R.A.T. if she marries Mr. Thomas!) I know, I overthink lots of things! Sorry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 05:49 AM

4 posts, read 6,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
This just proves once again that you can search the internet and find anything you want!!!

This link supports the claim Teagan is a British Girl's name

Teagan name meaning | Irish baby girl name

Also, one of my favorate music groups is "Tegan and Sarah"
though it is spelled differently, TeAgan is still non the less ALSO a girls name.

Tegan and Sara on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads They pay me to put their site up
[SIZE=2]Interesting the web site you provided also has Teagan(Tee-Gun) listed as a boys name. Go to boys name T. I love how people try to pass this name off as English when the English can not even pronounce this name. Itís too strong for their soft spoken language. My mother has a friend from England who had lived here for over 30 yrs and he couldnít pronounce his name. He kept calling him Teg-in his son who came to visit was worse. So how can a name that they canít even pronounce be thereís ? Tegwin pronounced Teg-win or Teg-in(soft E) is Welsh means beautiful or doe. Teagan is Gaelic (Timothy) and means handsome, poet or bard. Derived from Teague and Tadhg. Irish Names For Children, Peg Coghlan,Irish American Book Company 1998. I still had one of my books from 10 yrs ago. Oh yes and in 2008 Teagan ranked in at 362 for boys names.
[/SIZE]

Old 02-08-2009, 08:57 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,971,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata99 View Post
Oh yes and in 2008 Teagan ranked in at 362 for boys names.
Not sure where you got the 2008 data already since it's not out on the SSA website yet, but for 2007 Teagan ranked 677 for boys and 408 for girls.

Popular baby names
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or