Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 07:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
so I am supposed to have a boring sex life, not allowed to have privacy, because my kids who should know better and have been told to leave things alone won't listen? I'm sorry but on this one I disagree.
Yes as far as teenage kids go, that's how it is. No kid likes to picture a parent doing it. All kids like to believe their mom and dad had sex only because that's what it took to create them.

Well -- parents tend to be the same way toward their kids.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:14 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
Quote:
and now my 16 year old thinks I am a ****. I'm devestated. what do I do now?
I keep chuckling every time I think about this; I hope we're talking about "Single X" stuff. I know you're embarrassed and the kids may be relaying the information to other kids at school who will in turn relay the information to other parents, but this isn't the end of the world and you don't owe your kids any apologies. That is not your children's business and I think you should bear that in mind any time this is addressed. This is also NOT an excuse for your 16 year old to get away with disrespect.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
OP has taken a risk sending compromising photos on the phone. Daughter knows what goes on between her parents but does not need to see overt displays of intimacy. IMO, OP had set a bad example on internet/web safety, and daughter has shown a blatant disregard for property and privacy. I think the relationship can be mended if BOTH parties apologize to each other on each of their infractions and move on.
That's probably true -- because cell phones can be easily misplaced or lost, or the kids can easily look through them.

And kids do the same thing, they send sexual pictures of themselves to lovers and their parents sometimes find them. Many actresses are now finding out the hard way that former lovers and spouses will sell their naked and sex pictures.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:22 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,396,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
The cell phones have a mechanism to discern the difference? Boy, talk about your Smart Technology!
Obviously this is something that needs to be addressed in conversation.

I'm guessing none of you folks drink in front of your underage children. After all, what kind of role model would you be?

I knew my parents were having sex as a teen. Did that mean I had it in my head it was acceptable for me to start screwing...No. My parents communicated with me. Same goes for smoking, drugs & drinking. Peers were doing it, but because of conversations with my parents, it was a non-issue for me.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:22 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,076,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Seriously, Missy, is that cell phone employer-issued? If so, you have a much bigger problem on your hands than your kids thinking poorly of you.
No it's not. Hubby is an electritian so he works alone alot of the time.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I keep chuckling every time I think about this; I hope we're talking about "Single X" stuff. I know you're embarrassed and the kids may be relaying the information to other kids at school who will in turn relay the information to other parents, but this isn't the end of the world and you don't owe your kids any apologies. That is not your children's business and I think you should bear that in mind any time this is addressed. This is also NOT an excuse for your 16 year old to get away with disrespect.
Thank you Jim I agree. when I posted this stuff last night it was very new and I was still very upset. I'm ok now and I am sure my kids will be too. One day we will all be shyly laughing about this whole crazy thing.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:25 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,701 times
Quote:
No it's not. Hubby is an electritian so he works alone alot of the time.
That's a relief! If an employer gave him the phone, then they can legally monitor his text messages.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's probably true -- because cell phones can be easily misplaced or lost, or the kids can easily look through them.

And kids do the same thing, they send sexual pictures of themselves to lovers and their parents sometimes find them. Many actresses are now finding out the hard way that former lovers and spouses will sell their naked and sex pictures.
That's the thing that makes me so dang mad... my husband always has his phone on him... unless he's asleep. The only way they would have found any of that stuff is if the intentionally took the phone and actually looked through the whole thing.We are not talking 4 ot 5 year old who dont know better, we are talking a 14 and almost 16 year old who knew what they were doing.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:28 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,204,863 times
It's funny how people here are trying to "parent" missy. Seriously, I'm sure she is aware of the inherent risks of sending pics via cell phone. That is NOT the issue of the post, and I'm sure she doesn't need to be lectured on it by strangers. I can't believe people here are advising her to APOLOGIZE to her daughters when they were clearly in the wrong!

missy, I hope you don't apologize. Turn this into a lesson for your girls, who definitely should not be snooping around on your phone.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
That's the thing that makes me so dang mad... my husband always has his phone on him... unless he's asleep. The only way they would have found any of that stuff is if the intentionally took the phone and actually looked through the whole thing.We are not talking 4 ot 5 year old who dont know better, we are talking a 14 and almost 16 year old who knew what they were doing.
I think that's how you need to address it. Don't make the pictures an issue, the issue is that they had no right to snoop around that phone, and let them know you're angry they did. This shouldn't be about what you did - right or wrong, the issue should be that they knew better. Don't go on the defensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting