U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 11:38 PM

6,569 posts, read 11,634,890 times

Advertisements

Yeah this is an interesting thread. First of all, I didn't know there was that much racism in Canada especially toward the natives, especially since they owned the land first.

I'm Asian American of Chinese (Taiwanese variety) descent but have always felt very Americanized and almost all of my friends are white. I've never thought about race until college, since I went to a school that actively promoted "diversity" and "multiculturalism" and had a lot of identity/racial politics and debates. I was kinda FORCED to think about racial issues which even now I don't like that it happened. It's rather it be the way back in high school and before, where yeah I looked different but I'm just American. I'm proud of my Chinese heritage, no more or less than people are proud of their British, Italian, or French heritage. I'm not ashamed of my race, but I'm not especially proud of it either....its just my ancestry, and that's that. I'm not comfortable with people wearing their race on their sleeve, especially many Hispanics, African Americans, and recent immigrants from miscillanous countries.

I've never experienced racism or felt discriminated against and neither has anyone in my extended family, and we lived in non-traditinoal immigrant places like Idaho and Louisiana and loved it. Here, Maryland wasn't that multicultural until the past 5 years so when I was growing up there were few minorities and I naturally assimilated. So I can't really identify with the newcomers, many of them transplants from New Jersey or California. People who speak less Chinese than me tell me I act white but I don't care. I'm not afraid to admit that I don't know how to play ping pong, that I found out what DDR was from a white Jewish roommate, or that...gasp....my favorite genre of music is country. Hillary Duff is "White music"? Well I love Toby Keith and Faith Hill and Rascal Flatts and won't hide it.

Yes, I do live up to "Asian values". I think family values are important, I believe in being a moral person, in hard work, faith, etc. But these are also heartland values and southern values too that are so often espoused by the Republican Party. So the way I live my life....is it because I'm Asian, or because our family did have roots in Middle America?

I try my best to forget all the racial debates. I do admit the recent years have caused me to have some prejudices but I'm resisting it. I took 4 years after 9-11, but I now have a number of Iranian American friends for example. There was this one girl, I never knew she was of Iranian descent until I had known her for 2 years but she's still the same person. Sometimes when I see immigrants working at McDonalds I assume they're illegals and don't speak English. I wish immigrants would assimilate more, like those people who demand bilingual schooling in Spanish or the Muslims who still wear burkas. But for the most part when I meet someone I just see a person.

Our society shouldn't put such a big emphasis on race and people shouldn't purposely resist assimilating into American culture. Yes, mainstream America should welcome minorities and immigrants and treat them as equals, but at the same time immigrants must also want to be accepted into American society rather than segregate themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 12:07 AM

550 posts, read 2,542,533 times
Very well put. My husband works in a place where they have workers helping them. Here it is east Indian and in Edmonton it was Spanish. It frustrates him so much that they would talk in their language when around him so he would spend all day with them not knowing a thing they were saying. Then they get all mad at him when he doesn't want to represent them in grievance meetings.
They have secluded themselves by not assimilating to the English language. It is a loose loose situation for my husband because he surly can't say anything against their language or how they shouldn't use it at work.

I completely agree with you that immigrants need to learn to get along with the locals. After all we didn't make them choose our country to live.

So now everyone in Canada has to learn Cree or another Native language....GO! LOL JK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or