Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 08:57 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,896,694 times

Advertisements

Today, my daughter, 12 and I went into Abercombie Kids, just so I could an idea of what size jeans to buy her for Christmas. Anyways, she came out of the fitting room, and I noticed a male clerk looking at her for quite some time. I gave him a "look" and then he whispered something about "the prettiest girl he's ever seen."

What should I think of this? Yes, my daughter has always been told she has a gorgeous face/eyes but a male Abercrombie guy..probably 18 years old telling my daughter, a complete stranger to him that she's pretty is just kind of weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 09:00 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,332,366 times
She's a pretty girl....I personally would be careful about posting pictures of your children on the internet though....just a thought.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:01 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,018,060 times
If you are worried about someone ogling your daughter, do you think posting pictures of her on the internet is the best idea?

Old 12-19-2009, 09:05 PM

I removed the pics. Yeah, a few minutes later I realize doing that wasn't too smart of me..

Old 12-19-2009, 09:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,018,060 times
18 is probably a bit old to be staring at a 12 year old. Maybe she looks older than she is. In any case, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it unless she hangs out at Abercrombie all the time.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:08 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,633,957 times
Not the nicest thing to say about your daughter......

Maybe she looks older than 12. If she is pretty boys are going to start to look, it is something you'll have to deal with. Giving him the look was the perfect approach, and if had said that to me, I would have told him that is frankly creepy behavior for a sales clerk and ask him if he'd like to lose his job.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
18 is probably a bit old to be staring at a 12 year old. Maybe she looks older than she is. In any case, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it unless she hangs out at Abercrombie all the time.
OK. Thank you. And no, she's one of those girls who doesn't care if it's from Target or Abercrombie, but I figured I'd get her pair of jeans from there for Christmas, even if I do dislike that store.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:24 PM

2,638 posts, read 5,996,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Not the nicest thing to say about your daughter......

Maybe she looks older than 12. If she is pretty boys are going to start to look, it is something you'll have to deal with. Giving him the look was the perfect approach, and if had said that to me, I would have told him that is frankly creepy behavior for a sales clerk and ask him if he'd like to lose his job.
While somewhat creepy, don't you think your proposed solution is a bit rash? Costing the guy his job because of his eyes - which may not have had lecherous intentions behind them?

I agree that saying something to him might be in order...something along the lines of, "yes, she's quite pretty. She's also 12. Don't get yourself caught up." Just enough to put some terror in the guy, then go on about your business.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:28 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,801,950 times
Lots of 12 year old girls look 16. If she does and she is pretty then I wouldn't be so nasty to the clerk. He's just doing what young men do. He has no way of knowing her age. It's not a crime to look at a pretty girl no matter how old she is. I think you are over reacting.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:30 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,754,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Today, my daughter, 12 and I went into Abercombie Kids, just so I could an idea of what size jeans to buy her for Christmas. Anyways, she came out of the fitting room, and I noticed a male clerk looking at her for quite some time. I gave him a "look" and then he whispered something about "the prettiest girl he's ever seen."

What should I think of this? Yes, my daughter has always been told she has a gorgeous face/eyes but a male Abercrombie guy..probably 18 years old telling my daughter, a complete stranger to him that she's pretty is just kind of weird.
How do you know how old the clerk truly is? It appears that the clerk could be as young as 12, according to this link!:http://www.dwd.state.wi.us/dwd/publi..._4906_pweb.pdf

"The state requires every employer who hires a minor ages 12 through 17, or who permits a minor to work at any “gainful occupation,” to ensure that the employer has a valid work permit, issued by the state, for that minor."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting