Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 06:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioAdoptMom3 View Post
While that may be true, it wasn't so obvious as it is now. Its so blatent!
But we still knew what the songs were about. We talked about the messages and meaning with our friends. It was like breaking a code.

Quote:
And to those of you whose six and seven year olds like the older music, I think that's GREAT! I just hope it continues once their peer group begins to be more important to them. That is when it becomes tough (it usually starts between 4th and 6th grade).
My kids always liked rock-n-roll and classical music. I even had one violin playing football player!

They're much older---in high school and college.

They never had an problems with peer pressure when it came to their taste in music. None whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 06:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
While that may be true, it wasn't so obvious as it is now. Its so blatent! There is actually as song where a girl talks about how nervous she is as her boyfriend hands her the loaded gun and she prepares to pull the trigger. There is another one where the boyfriend of the girl says she is pregnant because of the alcohol they drank that night. Then a song where they sing about masturbating on the dance floor. I mean, this leaves nothing to the imagination at all. And to tell you the truth, I honestly don't remember the Captain and Tennielle, Sonny and Cher, Abba, KC and the Sunshine Band, The Partridge Family, etc. singing about things like that.

And to those of you whose six and seven year olds like the older music, I think that's GREAT! I just hope it continues once their peer group begins to be more important to them. That is when it becomes tough (it usually starts between 4th and 6th grade).

Nancy
It is a lot more blatant now in much of the pop music but a lot of kids like rock and metal and country and that kind of music isn't as blatant. Some of the more pop kind of rock music might be pretty bad but normal rock isn't.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:12 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
my generation spent hours trying to figure the words to "Louie Louie" and there were sheets being passed around school -WAY before computers- with suggested words. Does anybody really know the exact words? and it was like cracking a code.
I'm glad my grown kids were into music as a performance art-orchestra-marching band and I wasn't aware of anything overtly "nasty" coming in the home. It was certainly never heard by the entire family.
Now with my 7 year olds I hope to foster a true love of classics and try to keep the pop crap out of our family. wish me luck.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:33 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
do I have the only 7 year olds who love ther music of Rosemary Clooney, the Mills brothers, Nat King Cole and Perry Como, Johnny Mathis? This is what we listen to at home and what we use to pep up our step for housework. Seems to work and they love it. Especially when they here Rosemary sing "Sisters".
I have an almost 30-year old who has loved Big Band music and especially Glenn Miller since before he was old enough for school. He tastes are very electic, likes classic rock and country. The point being if it is good music, it is good music regardless of the genre, and if it is crap, it will be so in every genre.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:13 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,315,294 times
I don't really care for rap (too repetitive), country (to twany) or pop (artists usually have a bout three notes they can hit and they have a coach that gives them the words and dance...no real talent on their own usually)...and 80's music (I never liked much about the 80's)...but when it comes down to my kids, it is about the messge the individual singer is sending. If its country and some woman is singing about bashing in her ex's truck with a baseball bat, a rap artist singing about his ho's, a pop artist singing about wishing they were invisible in someone's room while they are dressing (that ones on kids bop), or a rock artist singing some hatred on authority then I have to put my foot down. I make sure the kids get a dose of every era, I actually like to pick up those cheap and cheesy 3 cd sets of various eras. Then of course I like to offer international music and any mousic where is an artist has real talent from being able to sing a wide range of notes to those talented in playing some instrument.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I think parents have been appalled by the younger generation's music ever since the dawn of rock 'n roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Being 50, music about sex, drugs, and suicide shouldn't be new to you. That's what rock-n-roll was all about when you were growing up.
Exactly--at 50 you would have been well versed in the "hippy" music of the 70's and moved right into the 80's. It's no different.

Quote:
While that may be true, it wasn't so obvious as it is now. Its so blatent! There is actually as song where a girl talks about how nervous she is as her boyfriend hands her the loaded gun and she prepares to pull the trigger. There is another one where the boyfriend of the girl says she is pregnant because of the alcohol they drank that night. Then a song where they sing about masturbating on the dance floor. I mean, this leaves nothing to the imagination at all. And to tell you the truth, I honestly don't remember the Captain and Tennielle, Sonny and Cher, Abba, KC and the Sunshine Band, The Partridge Family, etc. singing about things like that.

Nancy
Maybe you were just naive about the lyrics?? You know, Puff the Magic Dragon really was about a dragon, right??? Remember all the controversy about Elvis and his pelvic grinds?? Go back and read the lyrics to all of these songs and I would bet they have new meanings for you. No, not all of them were bad but plenty of them were, just like now, not all of them are bad but plenty of them are.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

Exactly--at 50 you would have been well versed in the "hippy" music of the 70's and moved right into the 80's. It's no different.

Maybe you were just naive about the lyrics?? You know, Puff the Magic Dragon really was about a dragon, right??? Remember all the controversy about Elvis and his pelvic grinds?? Go back and read the lyrics to all of these songs and I would bet they have new meanings for you. No, not all of them were bad but plenty of them were, just like now, not all of them are bad but plenty of them are.
That's the point -- the lyrics weren't so obvious, they were far more subtle, far more open to interpretation. Puff the Magic Dragon was a song about a little boy and a dragon, and it could be twisted to mean drugs but drugs, suicide, oral sex, lesbian sex was never actually mentioned in the lyrics. Same with Elvis, he shook his hips but never sang about fornication, suicide, drugs.

Now suicide is openly promoted -- as are many things, there is nothing left to any imagination, no teens trying to break some code - wondering if they really were on the right track or not.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:08 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
I grew up listening to the Top 40 with Casey Kasem with my parents. Looking back now, I'm surprised my strict parents did that. But we also listened to a wide variety of music - classical, jazz, etc.

I now have a 16 year old. I agree that many kids are influenced by what their parents listen to and it's good to expose them to all kinds of music. But lets face it - you can't control what they listen to every minute. Kids share their music, listen to each other ipods etc. And to add another element to it that some with younger children might not be aware - a lot of music has versions that are different, more explicit than what is played on the radio.

My theory is, if you have raised your kids with the values that you believe, then what music they listen to is not going to make them a different person. If you make a huge deal about not listening to certain types of music, then they will probably gravitate towards it just to tick you off. Now I'm speaking about teens really. Yes, there is a LOT of stuff out there I would not want a young child exposed to or hearing.

I'll be the first to admit I listen to some pretty harsh stuff myself in the rock/metal department. I do find pop music to be worse than some of what I listen to, only because it appeals to a very young audience along with an older audience, so the subject matter isn't always appropriate. Just my opinion of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting