Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 10:18 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,955 times

Advertisements

I am just wondering if its me and my old age (50) or if other parents are feeling the same way? I mean, I have no problem with some of the current pop music (I happen to be a big fan of the Black Eyed Peas and some others as well), but when some of the very popular "pop" stations are playing music which actually addresses sex (Blame it on the Alcohol, Birthday Sex, I Kissed a girl and I liked it, etc.), and things like taking drugs being acceptable and commiting suicide it really makes me cringe. We have 2 adult sons, but also a 10 y/o DD who loves this pop music. Yeah, we could turn the station when something crude comes on and I usually do, but she can still listen to it in friend's homes and out in pubic where it is often playing. I also think it could open up some doors for some good discussions between us, but at this age they tend to find what their peers believe and do more acceptable than what their parents and other adults believe and do. It makes all this stuff so acceptable in our society to the most impressionable segment of our population. Does this crudeness and bother anyone else here?

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 02:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
I don't let my kids listen to pop music, they can play rock, metal, or country.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:08 AM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
I think parents have been appalled by the younger generation's music ever since the dawn of rock 'n roll.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:28 AM

148 posts, read 585,096 times
I'm with malamute. I'm ok with most old-school punk and metal, but really don't like most of the pop out now and will not be playing it around my child. I know I can't decide what he'll listen to as he gets older, but I think what kids are exposed to at home makes a bigger difference than most people realize - I saw big changes in my nephews from when their dad was around listening to mostly country, and after he left and their mom listened to mostly pop, hip hop, and r&b - they gravitated more to what they heard at home and in the car. I also like a lot of the stuff I listened to as a kid, and tend to dislike the genres my parents were pretty vocal about not liking, and would not allow in the car.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:31 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
What makes me mad is when my kids tell me to turn my music down. Sometimes they sound just like their grandfather.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
do I have the only 7 year olds who love ther music of Rosemary Clooney, the Mills brothers, Nat King Cole and Perry Como, Johnny Mathis? This is what we listen to at home and what we use to pep up our step for housework. Seems to work and they love it. Especially when they here Rosemary sing "Sisters".

Old 12-20-2009, 08:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioAdoptMom3 View Post
I am just wondering if its me and my old age (50)....but when some of the very popular "pop" stations are playing music which actually addresses sex (Blame it on the Alcohol, Birthday Sex, I Kissed a girl and I liked it, etc.), and things like taking drugs being acceptable and commiting suicide it really makes me cringe.
Being 50, music about sex, drugs, and suicide shouldn't be new to you. That's what rock-n-roll was all about when you were growing up.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine Carraway View Post
I saw big changes in my nephews from when their dad was around listening to mostly country, and after he left and their mom listened to mostly pop, hip hop, and r&b - they gravitated more to what they heard at home and in the car.
I doubt the music had anything to do with the changes.

A father leaving is a huge emotional impact on children.

It's no uncommon for kids lose their way after their parents divorce.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:00 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
do I have the only 7 year olds who love ther music of Rosemary Clooney, the Mills brothers, Nat King Cole and Perry Como, Johnny Mathis? This is what we listen to at home and what we use to pep up our step for housework. Seems to work and they love it. Especially when they here Rosemary sing "Sisters".

Nope.

My DD was going to school in K listening to Etta James, and Cab Calloway; as well as Ozzy, Patsy Cline, and the Blues Brothers.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:11 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Being 50, music about sex, drugs, and suicide shouldn't be new to you. That's what rock-n-roll was all about when you were growing up.
While that may be true, it wasn't so obvious as it is now. Its so blatent! There is actually as song where a girl talks about how nervous she is as her boyfriend hands her the loaded gun and she prepares to pull the trigger. There is another one where the boyfriend of the girl says she is pregnant because of the alcohol they drank that night. Then a song where they sing about masturbating on the dance floor. I mean, this leaves nothing to the imagination at all. And to tell you the truth, I honestly don't remember the Captain and Tennielle, Sonny and Cher, Abba, KC and the Sunshine Band, The Partridge Family, etc. singing about things like that.

And to those of you whose six and seven year olds like the older music, I think that's GREAT! I just hope it continues once their peer group begins to be more important to them. That is when it becomes tough (it usually starts between 4th and 6th grade).

Nancy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting