Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2009, 01:30 AM

83 posts, read 343,502 times

Advertisements

My father watched my 3 kids for me and had my three year old son on his shoulders, my 6 year old wanted up and jumped up at my dad so my father must have had a brain lapse and let go of my sons legs. I was not there but my 10 year old and father described the situation, my son fell and must have turned slightly because he hit Concrete on the side of his face and head near the temple. There was definitely a sound when he hit the ground and I was told he barely cried, but his mood definitley changed, and he suddenly became tired. Although he did not sleep or loose consciousness I decided to take him to the ER. The doctor stated that his vitals were fine and it did not appear that he his concrete from 6 feet high.
But since that IS what happened, he ordered a CT scan. Results showed no bleeding or fracture. I couldn't sleep all night, and doctor advised me to wake him every 2 hours. It is the second night now and I am still afraid to sleep, his cranium seems hard and uneven when compared to the other side. My son says his head hurts, I am just afraid that he wont wake up, or something is wrong. I don't know how he could be totally fine from a fall like that. Doctor said he should be in the clear after 24 hours if he is acting normal. He did act fine today, but I just cant help but feel like something is wrong. Parts of his head are red, part is black and blue, and another part feels like a large hard bump. One thing I wanted to point out was that the ER doctor never felt around his head for any bumps or anything?

Just wanted to know if anyone has ever died more than 24 hours after a head injury?
or if this has ever happened to anyone else? as I looked it up on goo gle but only one other result appeared.
Has anyone ever dropped their baby or toddler onto their head?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 01:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
I'd keep observing, but you had him checked with a CT scan which should pick up any injuries to the brain so I think everything is okay. Kids fall but if there isn't bleeding into the brain, it's just a bad bump.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:16 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
gosh I know your dad must feel terrible. I hope your baby has no permanent damage.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:34 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Ouch!

Kids are tremendously resilient. I dropped my baby brother on his head on our cement patio when I was a kid. Not on purpose mind you! I still remember how upset my mom was about that.

My own daughter fell some distance when she was 2, and walking with me and my mom, and I can still hear the hollow sounding "thunk" made when her head hit the sidewalk. She developed a lump the size of an egg in the middle of her forehead that turned all sorts of colors over the next 2 days. In a way I'm glad I was ignorant of what could have gone wrong, back then I figured that when she stopped crying and started acting normal everything was OK. Now I know how things can happen without us knowing about it. But you had a CT scan, if nothing showed up on that then I can't imagine there is anything to worry about. But you will...you are a mom!

Old 12-20-2009, 03:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellypink View Post
Has anyone ever dropped their baby or toddler onto their head?
Whne my son was 3 or 4 years old, he was hanging upside down on a jungle gym and fell onto a basement concrete floor at a church preschool.

The top of his head literally slammed into concrete from falling from hanging upside down. Just imagine the neck!

The preschool didn't take him to the hospital, and they didn't tell my babysitter about it when she picked him up.

I found out about it days later when another parent asked me how he was. She heard about it from her son.

Long story, short: my son didn't see a doctor until three days after the fall and he was perfectly fine.

The preschool installed gym matts under the jungle gym a week later.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:40 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
You did the right thing taking him to the ER. People have died later on after a hit on the head. But because you took him to the doc and they never found anything he should be ok. Keep checking on him though.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:15 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,375 times
I'm sure that you have your answer already.

But with injuries like this, you would be most concerned with what are called closed head injuries. Since they did a CT scan, that would detect most occurances of bleeding or swelling from inside the scull. Which is where the most concern is. Fractures are easy to detect through x-ray and CT scans. the knots and bumps you feel are on the outside of the skull and not of too much concern. Little bumps can form big, hard goose eggs in the tissues that cover the skull.

My brother had a closed head injury 20 years ago. They know alot more now about how to diagnose and treat these types of injuries.

Another great thing about toddlers/preschoolers... is they bounce. Their bodies are designed to make extraordinary recoveries.... especially from bumps on the head.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:18 AM

1 posts, read 21,435 times
My daughter fell from my truck when I opened the door, she has a horrible tendency to unbuckle herself from the carseat. Well when I opened the door she feel hit head first onto the road and began screaming and crying I didnt notice anything unusual after shes been acting normal, and as usual...but today I noticed scabbing in the area of the fall should I take her to the ER maybe its something worse than a minior head bump?

Old 03-28-2016, 02:00 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Mom 2016 View Post
My daughter fell from my truck when I opened the door, she has a horrible tendency to unbuckle herself from the carseat. Well when I opened the door she feel hit head first onto the road and began screaming and crying I didnt notice anything unusual after shes been acting normal, and as usual...but today I noticed scabbing in the area of the fall should I take her to the ER maybe its something worse than a minior head bump?
How long ago did she fall? Concussion would be the normal concern but usually there would be signs of that soon after the injury. My daughter used to fall and hit her head often because she had a tiny body and a big head, and our pediatrician said as long as she didn't lose consciousness and didn't vomit, she most likely did not have a concussion.

It might have been good to take your daughter to the ER right after the fall, but if it's been several days and the only problem she has had is a small amount of scabbing, that probably wouldn't merit an ER trip. You can call your pediatrician in the morning and ask if your daughter should be seen, if you're still worried.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:18 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,532 times
Maybe schedule a follow-up with your pediatrician. That is common after a trip to the ER. It will give you some peace of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting