U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 01:05 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,057,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor_McCheese View Post
My son started when he kept getting bullied by this kid named Johnny. The knocked him off his bike, beat him up in front of this girl he really liked and then beat him up on halloween. Finally I had the maintenance guy teach him a few moves and now he finally earned their respect.
Awesome post! Your kid also paints a mean fence and sands da floor like nobody's business! Wax on, wax off. Thanks for the laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 04:14 PM

5 posts, read 5,414 times
I know the question was posted years ago, but I thought I would still contribute thoughts.

My daughter just started tae kwon do, 4-year-old. She LOVES it!! She jumps and laughs all the way to the car and passes out on the ride home. She is a reserved little girl and for some reason when she enters that classroom something changes. That itty bitty girl becomes a LION. When she first started she would gently do the moves ( I mean seriously she was supposed to punch and she would put her finger on the person) and now she punches/kicks and yells w/ strength and determination.

To answer your question, it depends on the child and if they like it or not. We tried dance and swim lessons and the girl hated both. She would cry when she had to go to class. She loves this. I am a mom of 3 and my best advise is give it a shot. You will know if it is the right time or if you need to wait a while. Don't think too much about it. It should be fun. If not move on, wait a while or try a different sport or class or whatever the baby loves.

My answer: give it a try.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:12 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,418,148 times
I'd try at 4. But if he doesn't like it, don't rule it out.

My son's father wanted him in Karate but I was against it at first, thinking it would make him more aggressive and prone to fight. But it has not at all, and his Sensei is very specific about how and when they are allowed to use Karate.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:33 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
Personally for social confidence I would first try team sports or scouts.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:56 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,342,289 times
My daughter started at 4. I made her go 3x a week till she earned her black belt at 11. She keeps up with it and can defend herself if she has to. Its a great confidence booster.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,671 times
So would anyone recommend martial arts for a semi aggressive kid. My daughter seems to get angry sometimes and then want to hit. Wondering if martial arts would be good to teach her discipline and respect.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:21 AM

706 posts, read 1,476,503 times
Kim - yes, the instructors can address aggressive issues. When to use karate and when to not, respect, etc. Select the program carefully.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:52 AM

346 posts, read 427,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetegnc View Post
I have a 4 year old boy that already is shy, scared of other kids making fun of him, etc. etc. I'm not one of those parents who want to spend the next 12 years shuttling my children everywhere, BUT...

I thought martial arts would be REALLY good for him. I think it would be awesome to learn self-discipline, appreciate exercise, and most of all - develop self-confidence.

But, what age do is it best to start them? I saw one place has classes for as young as 3. Is it worth it at 4? Any experienced parents with this?

Thanks!
We tried one Karate school when my son was 4, and they seemed too intense for both my son and for me. While I wanted him to benefit from all the things you listed, ultimately if he wasn't having fun, he wouldn't want to continue.

Then he tried a new place at 8 years old, a TaeKwonDo school. Their approach used much more humor and incorporated some fun into the whole process. It was a great match and my son is now 12 (almost 13) and soon he will be testing for his 2nd degree black belt.

I believe there are different forms and different types of martial arts, some will be more competitive than others. In fact, our TKDO school does not participate in competitions, but I know that others do. I suppose you should do a little research and find one that fits your goals and works well with your son's personality.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:53 AM

346 posts, read 427,825 times
Default To Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimgdmn View Post
So would anyone recommend martial arts for a semi aggressive kid. My daughter seems to get angry sometimes and then want to hit. Wondering if martial arts would be good to teach her discipline and respect.
Where we go, the instructor or Master has a keen eye for identifying the kids' weaknesses and strengths and helps them work towards balance.

My son doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body, so he gets pushed a little more, his confidence boosted a bit more.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:12 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,490,118 times
I took Karate for many years when I was younger and only stopped when I started playing high school sports, I simply didn't have the time. I think it can benefit any person to take a martial art, but the key is picking the correct school and teacher.

Some schools and teachers are good for developing competitive martial artists. Others are good for teaching discipline. Others are good for teaching self confidence. Still others are good for exercise and fun. It goes on and on.

I think the best thing a parent can do when contemplating martial arts classes is look into several different schools, take the time to go watch some classes and carefully interview the instructors. Be sure to be upfront about what you are hoping to accomplish. A good instructor/school will be very upfront about what their abilities and focus are and most should offer a free class or two to experience what goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or