Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 05:14 PM

57 posts, read 115,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I can understand your friend not wanting to hurt her child. There are some that would never be a good influence in a child's life and might do more harm than good.

At the time, it was just easier for her to say he was dead rather than explain that he left. She was probably afraid that the child would want to look him up someday.

I have a friend who was told her father was dead, however, her mom told her the truth just before she (the mom) died of cancer. My friend was then married, had 2 children of her own and could understand her mother's choices better as an adult then. Her mother did tell her that her dad left one night and never wanted to be found or contacted. (She never heard from him either).

Sometimes, in a family, too much is said. Because your friend made that decision, she made it knowing all the facts. It sounds like the child may have been spared some arguments and I personally feel knowning that the father left could have some effect on the child's self esteem.

She told me she wished her mom had done the same thing. She said it was always hard to shake that unwanted feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 05:41 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,809,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
What do I think?
I think it it none of your business how she raises her kids.... and none of ours.
Well then, CD may as well shut down the entire forum.

Jeez, she only asked our opinions, not what to do about it. Feel free to leave.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:47 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,236,142 times
Smile Probably why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsetmama View Post
She told me she wished her mom had done the same thing. She said it was always hard to shake that unwanted feeling.
The above most likely factored into her decision. IMO, it's his loss, her gain. Forget about it, lots of single moms raise kids today.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I know several families that have kept secrets like this. The "kids" are now way over 50.
who knows how many people know he is alive? friends, classmates, acquaintances... Maybe they won't find out, but maybe they will.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:35 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Well then, CD may as well shut down the entire forum.

Jeez, she only asked our opinions, not what to do about it. Feel free to leave.

I guess I have trouble with a "friend" who when confided in goes and blabs the story all over the 'net.

Personal story... then that is different.

And yes, she asked our opinion and I gave mine. You can also feel free to leave....

Old 12-29-2009, 07:48 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,809,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I guess I have trouble with a "friend" who when confided in goes and blabs the story all over the 'net.

Personal story... then that is different.

And yes, she asked our opinion and I gave mine. You can also feel free to leave....
You're the one complaining, why should I leave?

She certainly didn't id her friend now, did she? I'm sure if I met the friend, I wouldn't know it was her the OP posted about. Would you?

Old 12-29-2009, 10:25 PM

57 posts, read 115,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
You're the one complaining, why should I leave?

She certainly didn't id her friend now, did she? I'm sure if I met the friend, I wouldn't know it was her the OP posted about. Would you?

Thank you. That's why I posted it here. No one knows me or my friend. I can't talk to any friends. Not even ones that she does not know because she is a friend. I was just put in a difficult position and wanted to vent. Now her secret is my secret. I'll keep it for her because she is a good friend. I may not like it, but I know why she did it.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:52 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,354 times
Quote:
Why do you think that? Is it because you think they'll find out? That's what I'm worried about.
Quote:
I think at some point she should tell her son herself. I think when a parent does something out of love, adult children will understand. Now if she would have done it because she hated the guy's guts then it would be another story. This boy is a lucky guy because he has a mom that loves him so much.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:08 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,084,252 times
The kids will eventually find out. They always do. The anger and hurt over being lied to by their mother will almost surely outweigh the pain they would have experienced from having an absentee father IMO.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:45 PM

917 posts, read 2,947,065 times
My best friend's dad also wanted nothing to do with her. To make matters worse, he acknowledged all his other kids (he has 4 or 5 by at least 3 different women). It kills her that her dad wants nothing to do with her. Fortunately, her dad's sister is a wonderful woman and she has tried to include my friend in as much as the family as possible. Her dad will not show up at a family gathering if he knows she'll be there.

In many many ways, I can see how her life would be better if she thought he was dead. If it weren't for her dad's sister being a wonderful aunt, I don't think she would have missed out on a thing. The sting of rejection by a parent is terrible, especially if they find out he's built another family and stuck with them.

I wouldn't lie to my kids, but I can totally understand the mom's point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting