U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-22-2007, 04:37 AM

4,167 posts, read 6,730,084 times
Default 8 year olds

Hi there
I have a 8th year old boy. When he was younger he was much more independent. Now however, he is so clingy, wants to be in the room with us always, wants to go everywhere with me, repeats things to me over and over esp when it is a request of his. I.e ; every other night I lie on his spare bed for about 10 mins ; last night within 5 mins he repeated it three times that it was his turn for me to lie in his room. He has a younger brother by 17 months.
I dont know what to do. He loves to be around us when we have people over even if they have children. I am finding it suffocating and know it just cannot be good for him also. When he is playing baseball he is yelling at the other players and talking to the coaches as if he is an adult.

any advice. He really is a good kid, gentle, caring. But he seems to be craving attention no matter if it is good or not. Yesterday he walks into my office, stops, burps, and waits for me to correct him. Do I ignore the behaviour, or what.

Thanks
dorothy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 07:25 AM

1,372 posts, read 3,548,989 times
Default boys to men

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Hi there
I have a 8th year old boy. When he was younger he was much more independent. Now however, he is so clingy, wants to be in the room with us always, wants to go everywhere with me, repeats things to me over and over esp when it is a request of his. I.e ; every other night I lie on his spare bed for about 10 mins ; last night within 5 mins he repeated it three times that it was his turn for me to lie in his room. He has a younger brother by 17 months.
I dont know what to do. He loves to be around us when we have people over even if they have children. I am finding it suffocating and know it just cannot be good for him also. When he is playing baseball he is yelling at the other players and talking to the coaches as if he is an adult.

any advice. He really is a good kid, gentle, caring. But he seems to be craving attention no matter if it is good or not. Yesterday he walks into my office, stops, burps, and waits for me to correct him. Do I ignore the behaviour, or what.

Thanks
dorothy
My son will be 8 on June 5th

He does it too
thats why I had that post on too sick for school

I honestly think it is his last ditch effort to be the baby he once was before he has to break free to the "big" boy he now is

alot of religions think that 8 yrs old is the "age of accountability"
where they are finally accountable for their actions

This can be a rough transition for such a small child
I guess we need to bear with it because once its gone we "lose" our little boys
for the men they will later become

All I can say is relish the undying love he is soooo willing to offer at this time. I know I am
I hope this helps

Old 05-22-2007, 08:48 AM

3,684 posts, read 8,081,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
My son will be 8 on June 5th
All I can say is relish the undying love he is soooo willing to offer at this time. I know I am
I second this!

My oldest (who just turned 11) was also like that at 8. He also did the same thing with the school. I just didn't think it was normal and couldn't figure out what to do about it. So I took him to a pychologist. A wonderful man that probably helped me to see what I needed to do more than he helped my son. Although just talking to someone else made my son see that his anxiety about being away from me was just that, and taught him a few methods to calm himself and get through it. I am of the opinion if you don't know what you are doing, admit it and get help. Since this is my first child and they don't come with intructions...I decided I fit the "don't know what I'm doing" category...LOL

Anyway a lot of those issues are gone and now I'm complaining that he is too independent and I don't get to spend enough time with him...because he'd rather be with his friends or doing his own thing. But not to worry the 5 year old is still up my butt.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:46 AM

7,378 posts, read 8,054,925 times
you know as a Mom you have moments where it just hits you how fast they're growing....I just had one.

when my now 14 year old was 9 she ran in a cross country meet in another town. She took a tumble during the race and tore her windpants. It was a cold, raw November day and we ran to Wal-Mart to buy a new pair so she'd be warm for the drive home. Because they were "boys", and not pink, she didn't wear them again, and I set them aside for her little brother, then 4. Today, I took them out of the dryer, and put them with her little brother's clothes. He wore them to school yesterday. They fit perfectly. Today, at 14, she left for a state student council convention at Maine Maritime Academy, and he, at 8 (almost 9), has minor league ball practice. Where does the time go??

So, along the lines of this thread....my 8 year old is also doing this. But tonight when he does, my perspective will be different.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
you know as a Mom you have moments where it just hits you how fast they're growing....I just had one.

when my now 14 year old was 9 she ran in a cross country meet in another town. She took a tumble during the race and tore her windpants. It was a cold, raw November day and we ran to Wal-Mart to buy a new pair so she'd be warm for the drive home. Because they were "boys", and not pink, she didn't wear them again, and I set them aside for her little brother, then 4. Today, I took them out of the dryer, and put them with her little brother's clothes. He wore them to school yesterday. They fit perfectly. Today, at 14, she left for a state student council convention at Maine Maritime Academy, and he, at 8 (almost 9), has minor league ball practice. Where does the time go??

So, along the lines of this thread....my 8 year old is also doing this. But tonight when he does, my perspective will be different.
I know what you mean

my 8 yr old is my baby I have a 20 yr old and 2 teenagers
he is in all aspects
my last ditch effort to smell "THAT SMELL" of a child
just to have him be the only one in the house that will come up to you and ask wholeheartedly
"mom how was your day?"
and actually listen to your answer
and so many times he has asked me to sit and watch Pokemon with him but I was too busy

but tonight
Pokemon it is

Old 05-22-2007, 11:58 AM

7,378 posts, read 8,054,925 times
ohhhh....now I'm mushy all over again......

Old 05-22-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
ohhhh....now I'm mushy all over again......
yeah me too just took me 20 minutes to stop crying especially after the fact that my husband and I bought him his first Big Boy 20" bike last night for his birthday

now there is no turning back
the wheels are in motion for something I dread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting