U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 07:12 PM

374 posts, read 692,962 times

Advertisements

My opinion is kids today have fewer hobbies than we did years ago.

How often do you see kids, build things out of wood or build electronic kits(heck Radio Shack barely has any now).
Mostly everything is a prearranged activity or talking to friends via computer.
As the kids get older there are not a lot of hobbies to fall back on and then the nonsense begins.
IMHO kids did dumb things years ago but their interests always kept them somewhat on a straight path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 07:26 PM

8,190 posts, read 10,803,835 times
As a general rule, modern parenting pretty much advocates treating your child as if he/she is the Second Coming of the Messiah, and therefore children grow up thinking they are the Second Coming of the Messiah, and that they don't have to do what any adult tells them (teachers, in particular). They get the same trophy whether they sit on the bench all season or are the star player, so where's the incentive to push oneself to succeed? You should hear some tales from college professors, about the kids who think they deserve an "A" just for writing their name down, and if they don't get what they want, their parents call up the professors to yell at them because "How dare anyone not treat my child like the Second Coming I know her to be?!?!?"

Old 01-04-2010, 07:39 PM

5,748 posts, read 7,321,265 times
I don't know anybody who treats their child the way you have described. All the parents in my circle are very aware of their children's foibles, along with their own.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:49 PM

509 posts, read 1,031,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachouse View Post
My opinion is kids today have fewer hobbies than we did years ago.

How often do you see kids, build things out of wood or build electronic kits(heck Radio Shack barely has any now).
Mostly everything is a prearranged activity or talking to friends via computer.
As the kids get older there are not a lot of hobbies to fall back on and then the nonsense begins.
IMHO kids did dumb things years ago but their interests always kept them somewhat on a straight path.
From my perspective, kids (teens/pre-teens) don't care about productive activities or hobbies anymore. Around here where I live, it's all about when the next drinking party is going to be, or getting high on anything from weed to glass to cough syrup. Unless they're on some sort of substance, nothing is fun. You've got kids selling drugs, stealing, shooting people. Using words in elementary school that would have earned me a full bar of soap straight in my mouth. Kids aren't asked to excell, to go above and beyond, they are asked only to get by.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:52 PM

917 posts, read 1,771,406 times
My friends and I are all in our mid 20s, work or are in grad school, and have never been in trouble.

Now I know people my age who are out of control, but they are the minority (at least in my circle of acquaintances). Some people just can't parent, but that hasn't changed. My dad tells stories of when he was 10 and they'd steal beer and get drunk. When I was ten, I was volunteering as a teacher's helper in Sunday school. I'd say he was far more out of control than I ever was.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:46 PM

3,643 posts, read 4,038,053 times
These types of parents are well known in the education field as "Helicopter Parents" b/c they hover over their kids and respond to every complaint the kids produce as an affront to the child..aka young adult.

Yes, we know not all parents are like this but many are.

I worked for a local non profit at one time and recd a call from a local private school principal about her son; she was upset with me and spoke down to me in a shrill, demeaning manner, as I had apparently not been returning her son's calls. He was a Jr in a local college, had gotten in trouble with the police and needed to knock out community service so as to look good before going to court by yrs end, this was Christmastime. The problem was, he hadn't been trying to reach me. I think she believed him over me. Typical heli parent, trying to "fix" her kid's problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
As a general rule, modern parenting pretty much advocates treating your child as if he/she is the Second Coming of the Messiah, and therefore children grow up thinking they are the Second Coming of the Messiah, and that they don't have to do what any adult tells them (teachers, in particular). They get the same trophy whether they sit on the bench all season or are the star player, so where's the incentive to push oneself to succeed? You should hear some tales from college professors, about the kids who think they deserve an "A" just for writing their name down, and if they don't get what they want, their parents call up the professors to yell at them because "How dare anyone not treat my child like the Second Coming I know her to be?!?!?"

Old 01-04-2010, 11:24 PM

5,581 posts, read 8,288,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
What is this? Have you been watching "Jersey Shore" and want to come here to discuss it?
Or maybe he's been watching the Disney Channel... yikes!

Old 01-04-2010, 11:34 PM

5,581 posts, read 8,288,663 times
It seems that when kids are of the sort that the OP is talking about, the parents in those cases are usually extreme in one way or the other: either the helicopter sort, or the totally tuned-out uninvolved and clueless sort. It's a balancing act, this parenting thing. It's a constant pushing and pulling not just by the kids while they are learning appropriate behaviors and such, but by the parents as we figure out how to love and protect them while still giving them room to learn about life on their own and learn to face reality.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:38 PM

50,260 posts, read 47,579,412 times
lack of respect for the positive male figure in the house, or absence thereof.
the disrespect starts with wife on husband disrespect- then it degenerates to the kids.
mom is the teacher, not what she says- but what she does.
the baby ducks follow mama.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:28 AM

10,148 posts, read 11,544,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
From my perspective, kids (teens/pre-teens) don't care about productive activities or hobbies anymore. Around here where I live, it's all about when the next drinking party is going to be, or getting high on anything from weed to glass to cough syrup. Unless they're on some sort of substance, nothing is fun. You've got kids selling drugs, stealing, shooting people. Using words in elementary school that would have earned me a full bar of soap straight in my mouth. Kids aren't asked to excell, to go above and beyond, they are asked only to get by.
ALL the kids you know are like this? Seriously?

I know a few kids like that but my sons steer themselves away from those kids. I am the parent of 2 teen boys and my sons and their friends are pretty normal kids (ages 13, almost 16). While I know there are kids like that out there, are ALL teens really like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting