U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2010, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
1,418 posts, read 1,979,891 times
Reputation: 421

Advertisements

hi = my daughter has finally reached the age where pants do not automatically fit her if they are a size 7, which is what she is in everything but jeans. I am finding that none of her jeans fit in the waist, though they do in the length so I can't go up. She wears Gap, Mini Boden, RL, Lands End and Gymboree, and none of them will button. The "plus" sizes at the Gap fall off her. There must be a middle ground, either a brand that runs short so I can size her up to an 8 or a brand that is more generously cut (as far as jeans go). Any suggestions?

Last edited by arielmina; 01-07-2010 at 08:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:25 AM
 
3,425 posts, read 6,412,885 times
Reputation: 1862
I will be watching this thread. Mine (age 7) has really short legs and I have to put her in 6 or 6x and either hem them or cuff them A LOT.

I tried plus sizes (a 4 plus from Lands End) but the waist is waaaaaay too big and now they are too short.

You may just need to go up to an 8 and hem or cuff.

The "low waist" styling these days is not helping...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:28 AM
 
2,465 posts, read 3,083,252 times
Reputation: 1242
J.C. Penny and Old Navy has jeans with the adjustable waist band. They have a length of elastic in the waist with botton holes and there is bottons on either side of the front panel that the elastic buttons to. Wal-mart and Target also carry adjustable waists. You can go a size up, but still adjust them to a smaller size to fit both length and waist. They can also wear them longer if they do not outgrow the length before they outgrow the waist.

If you do not want to buy adjustable waist jeans. Then look into jeans like Silver Lakes, Wranglers and Levis. With these jeans you usually buy jeans according to waist and inseam. So you can buy jeans that are 22" X 28" or 24" X 28" or whatever your daughter's waist and inseam measurements are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:42 AM
 
3,425 posts, read 6,412,885 times
Reputation: 1862
I did not know the Levis did the waistxlength sizing for little kids. I'm going to go check that out.

As far as adjustable waists go, the plus sizes are so much larger I had at least 6-7 buttonholes of adjustable waist elastic out on each side. It was just too much.

My happy medium has been the size 6s cuffed or hemmed but I am going to go see about the levis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:53 AM
 
10,141 posts, read 11,536,385 times
Reputation: 9234
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
J.C. Penny and Old Navy has jeans with the adjustable waist band. They have a length of elastic in the waist with botton holes and there is bottons on either side of the front panel that the elastic buttons to. Wal-mart and Target also carry adjustable waists. You can go a size up, but still adjust them to a smaller size to fit both length and waist. They can also wear them longer if they do not outgrow the length before they outgrow the waist.

If you do not want to buy adjustable waist jeans. Then look into jeans like Silver Lakes, Wranglers and Levis. With these jeans you usually buy jeans according to waist and inseam. So you can buy jeans that are 22" X 28" or 24" X 28" or whatever your daughter's waist and inseam measurements are.
Do they make the waist/inseam sizing for kids?

My son is 10 years old and he needs a 16 for the waist/butt but they are MUCH to long for him. When I switch to husky sizes I have the opposite problem. The 12 husky is way to big on him (so big it's ridiculous). He really needs a 14 that runs just a little wider in the waist/butt. There is a really big difference between regular and husky and kids that are just a little thick on the bottom don't really fit well into the husky sizes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
1,418 posts, read 1,979,891 times
Reputation: 421
boy I felt so bad for my daughter trying on every pair of jeans in her dresser this morning....she's too young to have to deal with this (of course i do it every day!). Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to have to take her to the stores to try on, something she hates doing, so I will try the Old Navy and will look into Levis etc. Thanks all.

ETA did a quick search on the internet and it looks like Levi's only come in age sizing for kids. not by waist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 09:16 AM
 
4,784 posts, read 8,018,685 times
Reputation: 3115
You could try The Children's Place, that is where I buy my 6 year old's best fitting pants. I just did a quick check online, and right away found a pair of girl's jeans with an adjustable waist. Maybe they have other styles, too. In the boy's pants the adjustable waist has an elastic drawstring/cord, which might work even better for you if they do it for girls, too.

big girl - jeans - | Children's Clothing | Kids Clothes | The Children's Place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 09:17 AM
 
2,465 posts, read 3,083,252 times
Reputation: 1242
I got to checking out the Levis and they seem to no longer carry jeans by waist and length at least not for the littler kids anyways. I know they used to because I had to buy them along with the Silver Lakes and Wranglers for my oldest daughter as she had the opposite problem. She had to slender of a waist and to long of legs. So if I bought her jeans that fit in length they were way to big around. If I bought them to fit her waist they were to short.

My next oldest is now reaching a point in her growing were we are reaching the same delima. She can wear a size 12 in the waist but the length is to short, the 14s are to big around but fit her better in the length, but even they are starting to not quite be long enough. What she needs is a juniors size 0 but everything we can find in that size sits way to low on her hips and both she and I do not care for that. She doesn't like the feel of the lower waist and I don't like the look.

But Levis has several different cuts so you might find something that fits in both length and waist for your kids. The website Zappos has a bit of a size guide as to what the waist and lengths are for the Levis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
1,418 posts, read 1,979,891 times
Reputation: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
You could try The Children's Place, that is where I buy my 6 year old's best fitting pants. I just did a quick check online, and right away found a pair of girl's jeans with an adjustable waist. Maybe they have other styles, too. In the boy's pants the adjustable waist has an elastic drawstring/cord, which might work even better for you if they do it for girls, too.

big girl - jeans - | Children's Clothing | Kids Clothes | The Children's Place
thanks I always forget about Childrens Place, unfortunately the nearest store is about an hour away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 AM
 
749 posts, read 1,092,933 times
Reputation: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Do they make the waist/inseam sizing for kids?

My son is 10 years old and he needs a 16 for the waist/butt but they are MUCH to long for him. When I switch to husky sizes I have the opposite problem. The 12 husky is way to big on him (so big it's ridiculous). He really needs a 14 that runs just a little wider in the waist/butt. There is a really big difference between regular and husky and kids that are just a little thick on the bottom don't really fit well into the husky sizes.

Exactly the same problem here. It's very frustrating to spend 2 hours trying on every size pants to find the ones that will fit ok. Even the same brand in a different style does not fit the same. Our DS is getting very close to his growth spurt and hopefully then we can buy according to waist X height, right now the shortest I've seen is 28" length, which is too long.

I swear for both my DD and DS the 10-12 year old range was the hardest to find clothes that fit them well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top