U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:12 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,210,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I think parents are the ones who screw these kids up initially. To me, they must have contributed to their teenagers behavior is SOME way (neglect, abuse, absentee parent).
I agree 100%.

Abuse (physical and drugs, whatever) are handed down....the sins of the fathers.....I unfortunately have direct proof and ended it.

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 09:40 AM

690 posts, read 2,357,000 times
I think today, a lot of parents want to be their children's buddies and not their parents. Many kids don't have any respect, or what I like to call "healthy fear", for/of their parents anymore.

Trying to raise a 12 year old girl these days is difficult. I'm trying to keep her as young and innocent as I can, while the kids around her that are her age are already wearing makeup, carrying cell phones, kissing boys/girls in the halls at school.....ugh. My heart goes out to ALL parents today - we are raising our children in a much different world than the one we were raised in, IMO.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:00 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,982,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJones View Post
I think today, a lot of parents want to be their children's buddies and not their parents. Many kids don't have any respect, or what I like to call "healthy fear", for/of their parents anymore.

Trying to raise a 12 year old girl these days is difficult. I'm trying to keep her as young and innocent as I can, while the kids around her that are her age are already wearing makeup, carrying cell phones, kissing boys/girls in the halls at school.....ugh. My heart goes out to ALL parents today - we are raising our children in a much different world than the one we were raised in, IMO.
GREAT POST!!!! I have 3 girls. It's so scary. It IS very hard to keep them innocent! They see so much and hear so much, and they are developing so much faster, too! We all just have to keep on them.
I love that saying - "healthy fear"- a lot of parents thing that is damaging. I don't. That "healthy fear" kept me from doing a lot of bad stuff when I was younger! I'm so glad I had a healthy fear of my father. I could have been in a different place now! And NOT a good one. That healthy fear kept me from drinking at parties, driving with people I knew I shouldn't be with, sneaking out at night, and many other things. Yes, I did get into trouble here and there and was far from perfect, but I could have done a lot more, and a lot worse than I did.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,835 times
Some teenagers are like this because this is all that you focus on! You keep telling us that we're bad and we're reckless and immature so we figure we might as well live up to these expectations. The only things in the news about teenagers are horror stories about something that a few teenagers did. Have you ever considered that there are many more teenagers out there that are quite mature, open-minded (more so than all of you anyways) and articulate? Of course, those teens don't get articles written about them because they are merely good people and, therefor, uninteresting to everyone reading the newspaper it seems. By the way, I was never spanked at all and I have made the decision to go against what you expect me to be. I simply have very accepting parents that fully trust that the decisions I make for myself are the right ones for me. I don't know many other parents that completely trust their children but also know how to discipline them when necessary (which is almost never). But hey, maybe I'll just go snort some coke and drown some kittens, then I'll be famous and in the paper!

Old 12-15-2007, 12:29 PM

1,895 posts, read 4,045,219 times
What's wrong with TEENAGERS today - good grief, woman, what's wrong with their parents?!?!?
Teenagers ape what they see!
One of my daughter's friends has a "mother" (and I use the term loosely), whose public Myspace page is adorned with a picture of her wearing a CONDOM NECKLACE....................and talking about her happiness living a "single" life......

You don't even have to be on her friends' list to see it - ANYONE who looks at her profile can see the picture.

I cannot imagine how humiliated her daughter must be!

Old 12-16-2007, 12:21 PM

919 posts, read 2,860,909 times
I wish I could rep you again Sundance..yup that is sooo true!!!

Right on Dream!!! I agree 100 precent!

Children learn from their parents!!!

Old 12-16-2007, 11:33 PM

11,406 posts, read 16,030,520 times
You know, teenagers today aren't that bad on the whole. The squeeky wheel gets the grease and the squeekiest wheels are the punks who steal stuff from the mall, race their cars, skip school, etc. I knew VERY few people like that in high school or in volunteering with inner city kids. All teenagers aren't as bad as the news seems to make them out to be. And don't even get me started on the movie Thirteen....

Obviously it's the absentee parents or the parents with absolutely no discipline that produce bad kids on a higher rate. But I know plenty of kids with horrible parents that turned out fine. And vice versa. Everyone's looking to place blame but by the time you're a teenager, there is no one to blame but the teen himself in most cases. Sure, you might have a mom with a condom necklace on Myspace. That doesn't make it OK to shoplift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or