U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:46 AM

2,267 posts, read 170,738 times
Default What is wrong with teenagers today??

http://www.local6.com/news/13371384/detail.html (broken link)

This is just one in the many recent stories of teenagers who are doing dispicable things...in the story above, teen runs over 5 ducks...

http://www.local6.com/news/13362859/detail.html (broken link)

This story is about teens at Disney spitting on guests, the police were called in and the teens struggled with the police. Having spent alot of time at Disney I can tell you I have been fortunate to never have seen this happen.

It seems that almost weekly we have some story were a teen has beaten up a homeless person, not that long ago in this area two teens killed a homeless person for "the fun of it"...

Then we have the teens that prefer to torment animals (future Jeffrey Dahmers maybe). They had a picture of a small cat, not a year old yet with an arrow from a cross bow through it, the brave little kitty was ok and once the arrow was removed they saw it had not hit any major organs...

What is going on? Its like they are all collectively out of their minds.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10834294/
Three charged in murder of homeless person (different case then the one here)

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.d...72/1006/NEWS06
Teens beat homeless person in Lakeland

There are too many articles to list here...
We have one boy in the neighborhood who is a budding problem, known to the police, arrested before he is 16 for a juvenile defense, according to the police when they have a problem with him, they can't find his parents...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 11:04 AM

634 posts, read 1,672,808 times
It's scary isn't it. I think it's a lot of things. But I think it goes back to parenting and the lack of discipline allowed in the schools. I remember growing up you didn't dare disrespect your teacher or your parents. Now, it seems commonplace. And the reason is the teens know that they can't be held accountable for it. That there are laws in place preventing spanking in schools or discipline from the teachers. It's truly sad.

Every now and then I will see a teen with manners and on one hand it makes me smile thinking they were brought up to respect others and on the other hand it makes me sad that I notice, that is an exception instead of the rule.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:04 AM

13,039 posts, read 14,644,198 times
We have lots of similar stories in the UK and the rest of Europe , sadly it seems to be the way the world is going. I think it does come down to discipline from an early age ( I don't mean the strap or anything like that obviously !. My father inculcated in me a deep sense of respect for other people and gave me very definite boundaries. I was taught to be polite to all ,including my contemporaries and to this day I can't stand bad language and swearing. I think families are not the close units they once were, and in countries where the family ties are still strong I find the kids far more respectful ( rural parts of France and Italy for example where kids will sit every night at the table with parents and sometimes grand-parents). I also think that kids have been taught to respect the wrong kind of role models through the media's constant worship of ill behaved celebrities with the IQ of earthworms and think that being rude and nasty is cool and so great. Also a lot of parents are now as badly behaved and as unpleasant as their children. Nobody ever says no to their kids, it seems to be seen as a form of child abuse nowadays. We are getting more and more desensitized to violence , swearing and other forms of anti social behaviour. In Britain drink is a HUGE problem and causes so many social ills, anti social attitudes, violence and vandalism.
It makes me really sad to see kids age 12 who are dead drunk in the streets, vomiting . I think most kids now know more about sex by the age of 15 then a lot of adults do. They are so blase about everything, how can they possibly look forward to anything in life. We also live in an age of instant gratification where we think that to deny yourself anything is a bad thing and we have come as westerners to get everything we want and right now even if it means other people suffers.
We need to reinstate some discipline in the raising of children and some deep respect for other human beings and empathy towards people and animal suffering. If we don't goodness knows what the next 50 years will bring....
Good topic Lisa by the way and very topical here in the UK. The daily papers are full of stories to send shivers down your spine !

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 05-23-2007 at 12:14 PM..

Old 05-23-2007, 11:58 AM

6,887 posts, read 10,398,121 times
Comes down to a number of things im afraid.

Back when i was younger, if i spat i got spanked. These days they get talked to or the playstation gets taken away.
If i hurt an animal i was spanked. These days they get talked to or the playstation gets taken away.
If it hit someone first, i was spanked. These days they get talked to or the playstation gets taken away.

Does anyone see the pattern ?

I turned out fine, i respect all living things and enjoy life. Kids these days arent happy it sees unless theyre doing something wrong.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:18 PM

1,093 posts, read 2,690,083 times
I think that BrianH is onto something.
Not only are parents looked down upon if they swat their children's behinds....
but these kids are growing up during a much different time than their parents. Violence is more common and closer to home... its just everywhere. Sometimes, no matter what you try and teach your kids, and how much good values you try and instill... they still do whatever they want. It's heartbreaking.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:23 PM

5,701 posts, read 16,985,291 times
Todays actions are based in yesterdays teachings from parents. For many reason families are not as involved today as they did back 30 or 40 years ago. This is a direct reflection of what is going on at HOME for many.

Is sad but is the reality of our actions....many parents just did not took charge and control of their kids...

Old 05-23-2007, 06:57 PM

14,401 posts, read 15,227,564 times
My SIL in Mass allows her 18 yr old to do coke in the house- she says at least she then knows he isnt out selling it.......

Something wrong right there-

Old 05-23-2007, 10:06 PM

5,064 posts, read 9,869,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
My SIL in Mass allows her 18 yr old to do coke in the house- she says at least she then knows he isnt out selling it.......

Something wrong right there-
Whaaaaaat?!! My kids know better than to come home from a party even drunk, because they know it's unacceptable! (However, we do have the agreement that if they have drank too much or have no way to get home because their designated driver drank too much, I'll pick them up with no questions asked). When you don't set a standard for behavior in your own home, then don't be surprised when all kinds of behavior is the result! Wow.

The media has a lot to do with this culture (actually, the lack of culture!). I would let my kids watch almost anything, but then we'd talk about it later and put it into the proper perspective. I thank God every day that they turned out so well! *phew*

Old 05-23-2007, 10:11 PM

2,267 posts, read 170,738 times
You have got to be kidding...

I have already told my daughter that there will be no drugs period...if I catch her doing something against the law, I will call the police myself...

DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200

The best thing that can happen to a minor is to be carted off to jail, if you want to play with the big guys then you can pay with them as well...

Maybe they get their head together before they turn 18 and ruin their life with a criminal record that stays with them...

I have a neice who has problems, her parents should have turned her in long ago...

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way but my daughter good or bad is all down to me, I have been the only one responsible for raising her, if she becomes a menace to society, thats MY fault...I am going to do everything I can to make sure she is a contributing member of society and if that means juvi then so be it...

Old 05-23-2007, 10:27 PM

5,064 posts, read 9,869,956 times
Lisa, you and I are of like minds. I've always told my kids that if they do something wrong and get thrown in jail that they shouldn't bother calling me. Now if they happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and get swept along in something, that's a little different, but if it's clear that they were willfully breaking the law, forget it!

Parents these days don't seem to extrapolate out from one behavior to another. For instance, if there are no consequences, the 12-year-old who is taking money from your wallet will be the 17-year-old who "borrows" your car without asking! That's not such a difficult concept, is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting