U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:47 PM

56 posts, read 285,453 times

Advertisements

I think it all depends on how responsible and independent you are. I moved out at 18 before I graduated high school. Luckily I moved in with 2 people who were accomadating to my situation of still being in school and I didnt have to pay rent although I did clean, do dishes, helped out with what I could etc. to help out. I had a job at $10 an hour and paid for all my own things though. Now Im 19 and go to college and work at the same job for $11 an hour. I still have one other roomate and share more responsibilities. I buy most of the groceries, pay the heat & cable bills amongst my own personal buys. I still have plenty extra each month to buy other things that I 'want' compared to what I 'need'. Ive never asked either of my parents for money since I moved out. They didnt want me to go but supported me in my decision. When something with my car comes up I take care of it and sometimes that means going a week with little food or not enough money to hangout with people and do things but oh well, thats life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 06:34 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,286,531 times
As an 18-year-old, I also feel the almost owerwhelming need for independece and freedom, but I also know that it comes with a high price.
Since my father left us when me and my brothers were very young, the only one my mother has had to talk to has been me. So I know all about paying bills, how the budget can really crash for months to come becasue of unexpected accidents etc (leaving you not being able to do other things than just the basics of living) and how expensive everything actually is.
It's not like you can just throw away that piece of bread simply becasue it doesn't taste as fresh as it did when newly bought. If you do this on a regular basis, you'll end up desperately looking through the garbage, trying to find those pieces of bread.

Life is expensive and difficult, and eventhough I long for freedom and a place on my own, and eventhough I am mature and responsable, I will cherish the time I have left living with my family, because I know I will miss it/them when I no longer don't.

As said before: living with your parents is only a very short period in life - make sure you cherish it.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:39 PM

7,788 posts, read 10,446,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
as an 18 year old, i feel your need for independence. but trust me you aren't ready to be out on your own. i'd love to be out of my parent's house, but with rent for 1 bedrooms in decent areas starting at $1000 in the DC area and my take home pay of $1050-$1250 a month i have no business threatening to move out. sure, i could stay at one of my friend's houses but they are in very undesirable areas and i don't who they really be runnin wit off the clock. and cost of maintaing a car and health and auto insurance will scare you into staying at home if the rent dosen't. If you go away to college for 1 year you will wish u had the convience of being home. and lisa is right about getting at least a 2-yr degree. i'm trying to find another job now and like 70% of firms won't even call me back b/c i don't have any degree and i live in a stellar job market. this will probably change when i finish my 2-yr degree. so i think u should live it up and do everything while ur parents are paying the tab.
I'm with this guy....Anything I could add would only pale next to what one of your own peers has written! (And who says kids aren't wise sages...?)

Old 06-19-2007, 01:42 PM

122 posts, read 347,785 times
babycakes18-

You are legally an adult, now. You have every legal right to move away from your parents at age 18, just as they have every legal right to kick you out of the house and not provide for you.

If you really want out of the house, you can go.

Now, whether you should? Heck, I dunno. Other posters seem to be chiming in on that one, so I'll leave them to it...

Old 06-19-2007, 01:51 PM

550 posts, read 2,541,393 times
I wish I could live with my parents and have them drag me from one place to another that I find boring. I would cherish every moment. But, I have 3 boys of my own and a husband to take care of. (Husbands are boys too!) I now have the joy of making my 15 year old come on our outings. We are going on a 2 week camping trip in 2 weeks and he doesn't want to go. I told him "you are coming and make sure you don't have fun or smile once!!" Trust that your parents know what they are doing and some day you will look back and wish life could be so easy again.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:55 PM

4,007 posts, read 9,887,667 times
You are 18. You are welcome to say and do whatever you want. Just be prepared for some serious consequences for your words and actions.

Dawn

Old 06-19-2007, 02:29 PM

143 posts, read 530,930 times
Communications have you tried talking to you parents. just maybe they might understand where you are coming from.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:50 PM

4,486 posts, read 14,922,691 times
I was in your situation once and I moved out on my own (and a couple thousand miles away) so it can be done. BUT I learned very quickly that it wasn't all fun and games. Sure it was fun for the first couple weeks but then I started to realize that "Hey, I need to pay for rent, insurance, food, entertainment, cell phone, clothing, and numerous other bills PLUS the cost of college". I had a credit card and it was a huge mistake, I spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on stupid stuff (alcohol, partying, fancy clothes, new gadgets) and my parents finally had to bail me out. They said they told me so and I admitted that they probably knew what they were talking about when they said making it on your own is harder than it seems.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:04 PM

1,833 posts, read 5,753,338 times
Parent house - parents rules

Your house - your rules .... oh and your electric bill, water bill, food bill, cable bill, phone bill, internet bill, cell bill, housing bill, insurance bill, tax bill, gas bill, laundry bill, clothing bill, auto maintenance bill, car payment, and a few others.

Welcome to the real world ...

Old 06-19-2007, 11:10 PM

122 posts, read 347,785 times
Of, course, if you read this thread: How to motivate a 19-year-old?! Half the people on there are saying to kick the kid out.

Maybe it would be wise to question how long you can get that free ride, anyway... But, you know you're parents better than we do.

Last edited by CandyApple; 06-19-2007 at 11:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or