Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 03:44 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,897,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
As several posts above state - only as many pairs of shoes as needed. I grew up with only one pair of shoes at all times and when I did track, I just bought track appropriate sneakers I then used all the time. I just don't understand parents that buy a pair for every occasion for young men these days (I am focused upon boys, because I understand girls are expected to have more fashionable footwear; I will not address that in this post - it's a whole other can of worms I don't wish to open up here).

If your son is playing basketball - make his primary shoes appropriate to play basketball in. I don't see that as an issue, but apparently a lot of others do as I have family and friends who buy brand new specialized footwear for nearly every occasion for each of their children. When my son played basketball this year (he's in elementary school), each of his team mates and opponents throughout the season had what appeared to be brand new nike basketball shoes they put on each game. It seemed kind of bizarre considering the 60-100.00 paid for each pair and how the boys were going to get at most 1 season out of them. It's a waste of money and teaches the type of materialism that I just don't follow myself and thus cannot condone for my own kids.
It's not a materialistic thing, it's a safety/health thing. Playing competitive basketball (meaning more than just shooting hoops in the driveway) in running shoes just isn't good for your feet or ankles. With the amount of cutting, short sprints, jumping, etc. in basketball, serious injuries could occur without the proper support of a basketball shoe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 07:30 PM

400 posts, read 789,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We are not poor, not rich, not hurting but in any event I never have more than 2 pairs of shoes for each kid going at one time. We start off the school year with new shoes and we don't even bother with "church" shoes anymore . But I know some people have 3 or 4 pairs of shoes going at one time. We usually get new ones every 3-4 months or if they wear out. Usually at this age (7) they outgrow them before they wear out.

And how much will you spend for kids shoes? My first kid I bought strideright thinking I just had to have the very best but soon realized what a rip off they were considering how fast kids grow and I would not buy 2nd hand shoes for my kids.
So now I have about a $30-$35 range. Am I in line with most other families?
Well my son is only 10 months old, but he has one pair of shoes (trying to get him used to them for when he walks) that mach everything. They were $13 or $15 at Target and I just thought it was too much! Over the summer, we will be getting him a cheaper pair of flip-flop/sandals.

My niece is about to be 6. I like getting her shoes from H&M ($9-$14, generally). She has too many shoes, in my opinion.
I think that a girl should have 5-6 pairs of shoes (casual sneakers, gym sneakers, flats, boots, and sandals and/or flip flops). Of course, this is per year, not per season.
I think for a boy, 3-4: casual sneakers, gym sneakers, flip-flops, and boots for cold weather.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:14 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,352,538 times
Gosh, I don't even know. Zappos makes buying shoes just too easy.

I purchased a children's Brannock Device for both myself and my sister so we could order shoes for our kids online without having to take them somewhere to be measured.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,305 times
I'm only thirteen but I have 5 sneakers, one pair of nice coach sneakers, one pair of hightops, one pair if boots, one pair of slip on shoes, one pair of flip flops, and one pair of sandals. It may sound like a lot to a lot of people, but I've gotten these over the last 3 years and I bought most of them with my own money. I've never gotten an allowance, I save my own money from birthdays and Christmases and buy most of my own things. My parents bought me the coach shoes as my Christmas present because I asked for them, and they were on sale for $60. I've been 5'4" for the last two or so years so I'm either done or almost done growing, I'm a women's 6 1/2. I don't see anything wrong with how many shoes I have because I saved my own money to buy almost all of them, an as I said the coach shoes were my Christmas gift. Two of my sneakers are Guess shoes, but I bought those on separate occasions and they were both on sale $35.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting