U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Breast feeding, my doctor told me my child would not get sick as often. Is this true for you?
I breast feed. 59 60.82%
My child is rarely sick. 53 54.64%
My child gets sick often. 2 2.06%
I bottle fed. 18 18.56%
My child is rarely sick. 16 16.49%
My child gets sick often. 3 3.09%
I bottle and breast fed. 18 18.56%
My child is rarely sick. 15 15.46%
My child is often sick. 2 2.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:59 PM

548 posts, read 2,394,607 times

Advertisements

A bit off topic, but you know who did something similar to me was the woman running a Bradley Birthing class. I knew I wanted to deliver w/o pain meds and heard that 95% of women who use Bradley don't use pain meds. So I signed up. I could not believe my ears. She told us...get this...that women who pass on the epidural love their babies more than those who get an epidural b/c anyone who loves their baby would not pass the meds on to their baby. And it only got worse from there. I walked out thinking yeh, no wonder 95% of people who use them don't get epidurals. They are shamed and guilted into doing it without!! I never went back. Never had a birthing class other than that one.

For the record, I did not use any pain meds with either of my deliveries. But I did NOT like the guilt tactics used in the Bradley class. And I totally support whatever decision my friends have made with whether or not to use pain meds.

We should stop shaming each other. Provide the factual information out there, and then let each woman make his/her own decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 07:26 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,959,678 times
irishmom - I'm still wondering if you are an IBCLC? Or what kind?

Old 06-04-2007, 07:39 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,959,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Other than your own kids have you ever been in a delivery?
No, I have not. I am on several parenting message boards and have read a lot of birth stories, and I talk to people about their breastfeeding experience a lot. But I have not attended other births.

I am glad to hear that you do things this way where you live. I would like to see it done that way in more places. That's all.

By the way, I go to LLL, but I have never approached a bottle feeding mom and said anything to her whatsoever about not breastfeeding. Other LLL mom I know don't do that either. I know that LLL has that reputation, but I have not found it to be accurate. Now, I do talk to plenty of people about BF on the internet, but I think that's totally different because they are choosing to be part of the conversation!

Old 06-04-2007, 08:16 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,631,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
A bit off topic, but you know who did something similar to me was the woman running a Bradley Birthing class. I knew I wanted to deliver w/o pain meds and heard that 95% of women who use Bradley don't use pain meds. So I signed up. I could not believe my ears. She told us...get this...that women who pass on the epidural love their babies more than those who get an epidural b/c anyone who loves their baby would not pass the meds on to their baby. And it only got worse from there. I walked out thinking yeh, no wonder 95% of people who use them don't get epidurals. They are shamed and guilted into doing it without!! I never went back. Never had a birthing class other than that one.

For the record, I did not use any pain meds with either of my deliveries. But I did NOT like the guilt tactics used in the Bradley class. And I totally support whatever decision my friends have made with whether or not to use pain meds.

We should stop shaming each other. Provide the factual information out there, and then let each woman make his/her own decision.

Yikes, what an intro to birthing classes!!! I think shaming people into doing something is just wrong! I have had both birth experiences, one natural birth and one with an epidural. I certianly don't love one child over the other. I think alot of women use the 'I do it this way, and its better then your way' to one up each other. It starts getting silly.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:59 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,846,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
Yikes, what an intro to birthing classes!!! I think shaming people into doing something is just wrong! I have had both birth experiences, one natural birth and one with an epidural. I certianly don't love one child over the other. I think alot of women use the 'I do it this way, and its better then your way' to one up each other. It starts getting silly.
Just for curiosity sake, which one was with epidural and which wasn't? I did the same thing I had on with an epidural and one with out. Not by choice either time. The first I totally wanted drugs, from about 8 weeks pregant...LOL Then when it was time to deliver the epidural was placed wrong (it took hours for the anesthesia resident to figure that out) and instead of taking it out and doing it again my OB said I didn't need it (this was of course right about when it was time to push and it had been turned up so high and I was still in pain) and turned it off, this after hours of labor pain and then pushed him out with out anything. Pushing against the pain was the first relief I had gotten in 12 hours! Well after that I decided that it wasn't so bad so I wasn't going to have one the next time but they made me because I was at increased risk of needing an emergency c-section...well I didn't need the c-section but had the epidural anyway. After doing it both ways at least I feel better about telling labor patients what to expect and if I think they can do it without. Life is weird sometimes.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:30 PM

743 posts, read 2,039,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
The bag is very useful to those moms who have chosen to formula feed. As I have already stated upthread, I don't believe in forcing new mothers to bf or making them feel guilty because they dont, and if they are already decided on formula feeding, the bag is a nice thing.
Not even one of those new moms is forced to take the sample bag, though.
I'm not talking about forcing anything. My question is why are moms who have chosen to bf (chose being the key word, here) given free formula by health professionals?

If you're bf, what's the point?

If you're not bf, then go to the store to buy formula, just lilke any other food.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:56 PM

I just saw some mention of bf bags....I haven't experienced that in hospitals here (and I live outside Wash, DC in Northern Virginia....a fairly large metro area)

I, in fact (being the bf nazi that I am) did throw out my formula on the way out of the hospital. As a mom who wanted to bf, I didn't need that "temptation".

Personally, I was tired of all the "medicalization" of childbirth and bf and such that even though I had my first child in a hospital (w/ an epidural that I didn't want, but ended up getting...long story), for my other two births I used a certified nurse midwife - I wanted to surround myself w/ like-minded medical professionals, where I didn't feel like I had to defend my parenting choices.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:05 AM

Just to add some levity to this discussion

My husband is a licensed clinical social worker, and worked, at one time, with poor, inner-city minority teens at an Independent Living Program in Wash, DC. Can you imagine this white, suburban "30 something" guy talking to black inner-city teen girls about breastfeeding? .....hysterical....but, he did.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:47 AM

1,354 posts, read 5,631,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Just for curiosity sake, which one was with epidural and which wasn't? I did the same thing I had on with an epidural and one with out. Not by choice either time. The first I totally wanted drugs, from about 8 weeks pregant...LOL Then when it was time to deliver the epidural was placed wrong (it took hours for the anesthesia resident to figure that out) and instead of taking it out and doing it again my OB said I didn't need it (this was of course right about when it was time to push and it had been turned up so high and I was still in pain) and turned it off, this after hours of labor pain and then pushed him out with out anything. Pushing against the pain was the first relief I had gotten in 12 hours! Well after that I decided that it wasn't so bad so I wasn't going to have one the next time but they made me because I was at increased risk of needing an emergency c-section...well I didn't need the c-section but had the epidural anyway. After doing it both ways at least I feel better about telling labor patients what to expect and if I think they can do it without. Life is weird sometimes.
My first child was natural and my 2nd was with an epidural. To make a long story short, we are in a rural area and at the time I had my first child, our area was 'in-betweeen' anesthesiologists. LOL Crazy but true. I could have had a procedure that the nurse described as a partial epidurial, but the person who did that was not able to get to the hospital in time. I have no idea what they meant by that. So the birth was natural. At that point I had been in labor for 3 days, so it was game time, no waiting around. The 2nd birth I was in a real hosptial (seriously, lol) in a large city, and I choose the epidural. I had alot of complications with both pregnancies and the epidural did help mentally more then anything else. I was in so much pain after the birth of my first child and the following complications, that I was a wreck just thinking about the possiblity of going through that again. I am one that would choose the epidural again.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:19 PM

550 posts, read 2,543,027 times
I had an epidural with my first two kids. My third came so fast there was no time. Did you find with the epidural that your lower back would have a pinching pain in it? Mine did for at least a year after. That part I could have done without but I can't imagine not having it for my 24 hour labor with my first and with my second who was born face up rather than face down. OUCH!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or