U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Breast feeding, my doctor told me my child would not get sick as often. Is this true for you?
I breast feed. 59 60.82%
My child is rarely sick. 53 54.64%
My child gets sick often. 2 2.06%
I bottle fed. 18 18.56%
My child is rarely sick. 16 16.49%
My child gets sick often. 3 3.09%
I bottle and breast fed. 18 18.56%
My child is rarely sick. 15 15.46%
My child is often sick. 2 2.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 06:42 PM

2,060 posts, read 4,919,875 times

Advertisements

Both my kids were breastfed for a few weeks then went to bottles.

The first was in daycare from 5 months and was sick a lot. The second hasn't been in daycare at all and has only been sick once. Both of them have medical issues but nothing that would be helped/caused by breast or bottle feeding.

My mother breastfed all of us and we've all got all kinds of allergies that neither of my kids have. I just don't think you can generalise something that has so many outside factors down to one or the other cause.

Given the choice I would have picked breastfeeding for both of them but it wasn't to be. However, health reasons were not up there on my list of reasons to breastfeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 11:16 AM

6,123 posts, read 5,165,721 times
I wasn't breastfed. Neither was my husband. We are in our 50's and mothers of our generation didn't breastfeed. DH and I had no health problems other than mumps, measles, and chicken pox, which all kids got in the 60's. I did not breastfeed either of my daughters. It's not that I couldn't - I didn't feel comfortable with it, and I didn't like the bullying attitudes of all my friends, relatives, the La Leche League, etc., that I HAD to do it. My daughters are both healthy, had minimal childhood illnesses, and have no allergies. To each his own.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:07 PM

15,850 posts, read 8,829,372 times
I have no idea whether or not extended breastfeeding is the reason for my children's good health. Knock on wood, I can't remember the last time I had a kid home from school for illness. They are all remarkably resistant to the creeping crud. No allergies either. (As an aside, neither my husband nor I get sick often, so maybe it's just genetics.)

Old 04-03-2012, 08:21 PM

25,393 posts, read 29,768,973 times
I clicked submit before I realized I could make more than one choice.

I breastfed and my children weren't sick much. With dd#2 I was ordered to breast feed. When she was born, the pediatrician looked at her and told me "You WILL, EXCLUSIVELY, breast feed for six months". Her doctor never explained himself other than to say he was concerned about developing allergies. He just had a feeling about her and I wasn't arguing with him. She was pretty healthy in spite of being on a delayed immunization schedule (they immunized me first then her).

She does have allergies but no food allergies. Just animals and pollen. She did have a hyper reaction the the herpes simplex I virus and developed herpetic whitloe at 9 months. I don't want to know what might have happened if I hadn't followed her doctor's advice.

Both of my kids were in day care from 10 and 9 weeks, repectively. Neither was sick much. Neither gets sick much now.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:22 PM

25,393 posts, read 29,768,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I have no idea whether or not extended breastfeeding is the reason for my children's good health. Knock on wood, I can't remember the last time I had a kid home from school for illness. They are all remarkably resistant to the creeping crud. No allergies either. (As an aside, neither my husband nor I get sick often, so maybe it's just genetics.)

What is the "creeping crud"?

Old 04-07-2012, 03:48 PM

15,850 posts, read 8,829,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
What is the "creeping crud"?
Creeping crud is a catch-all term for the kind of contagious illnesses that plague school-age children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or