U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Breast feeding, my doctor told me my child would not get sick as often. Is this true for you?
I breast feed. 59 60.82%
My child is rarely sick. 53 54.64%
My child gets sick often. 2 2.06%
I bottle fed. 18 18.56%
My child is rarely sick. 16 16.49%
My child gets sick often. 3 3.09%
I bottle and breast fed. 18 18.56%
My child is rarely sick. 15 15.46%
My child is often sick. 2 2.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 05:07 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,852,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
I breast fed my first for two months, then bottle fed. She was sick all the time.

I breast fed my second for 12 months, she never took a bottle. She was rarely sick, but hungry all the time!
My friend who breastfed all three of hers until 12-14 months is dealing with severe allergies and asthma...so it can go either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I want OB nurses and staff to be educated enough about BF that they can all help new moms with BF instead of having to call in the LC who only works certain days and certain hours and can't help you right away. I want them to NOT give babies formula or bottles or pacifiers unless specifically directed to do so by the parents (I have heard MANY BF moms complain that the nurses gave their baby formula in the hospital nursery against their explicit instructions, usually b/c mom was sleeping and they didn't want to wake her) and to explain to these parents if they are intending to BF that doing so could be detrimental to getting BF off to a good start. I want OB nurses to routinely allow baby to BF at birth before they go through all of the procedure of getting footprints and putting goop in their eyes and give the bath and whatever else they do after the birth.
Other than your own kids have you ever been in a delivery? The first thing we do is put the baby on the mom while drying and stimulating it to breathe, then we put the baby on the breast if the mother allows us to. We then allow the baby to stay there until the placenta is delivered and we have the mom cleaned up. THEN the baby goes to the warmer (in the same room) to get the vital treatments and assessments and identification procedures we do there (no we generally do not call it goop or whatever). The baby is then allowed to stay with the mom for two hours unless it has problems maintaining it's temperature before going to the nursery and getting a full assessment and bath.

As for the rest, the entire staff including the techs are trained to help mom with breastfeeding and no one gives a breastfeeding baby a pacifier or bottle with the consent of the mother with the exception to a baby who's blood glucose is low and needs to have some formula or glucose water fed to bring that blood glucose up, this is really the only exception not a sleeping mom. This is the procedure at all the hospitals I've worked at (5) and delivered my own children at (2 others), so I would have to think they are the norm and not the exception.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:28 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,155,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelabu View Post
Lower income people who get WIC are especially succeptible. You can get free formula and food, but where's the breastfeeding incentive? Do they give out free pumps?...I'm sure a fraction of the cost of months of formula.

As for the guilt, would you make a mom feel guilty about not giving her baby a medication that is proven safe and has dozens of benefits before she ever tried it? I bet yes, becuase somehow we started thinking that big business knows better than our own bodies.
To the first point, yes. WIC, at least in Maine, does give out free breast pumps. In addition, each breastfeeding woman receives a food package similar to the one she had while pregnant, except for a few changes (I think bfing moms get extra iron- peanut butter or beans, and carrots?) All of the WIC clinics that I work with (all of 4..) are very pro-bf. Not only because of the health benefit, but because it saves the program money as well.

To the second point, no. I'm not one to put my values on someone else, and I really don't think it's my right to "correct" someone else's parenting style/choices, unless the child is being abused, neglected, or in danger of being so. If a parent had a dilemma over a medical condition and using a medicine she didn't want to use, I would suggest that we investigate other options that might also work for her, and weigh them against the one in question, and then decide what to do. That is what I would like to see done with educating new moms- they should be given the information and pros and cons of their options (from unbiased sources- not LLL or Carnation!), given the names and information about available support groups and agencies, and then allowed to choose what is best for themselves and their child.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
That is my point, Leche League nazis tend to make women feel guilty or inferior if they choose not to breast feed, and I refuse to participate in that game. I had enough run ins with people like that when my kids were infants and I will never forget how angry I was at the time. Therefore my decision is to encourage breastfeeding in new moms and to support what ever CHOICE they make in how to feed THEIR babies. That's all I'm trying to say here.
This is much of what I was trying to say as well.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
This is much of what I was trying to say as well.
Thank you for being the voice of reason....whew I was thinking no one was getting it at all.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:00 PM

256 posts, read 382,851 times
As far as medications go, almost all of the medications that are contraindicated while BF have an alternative that either does not go across the "breast barrier" or concentrate at low enough percentage that the baby can BF. It is my opinion that we should be looking for meds that are safe during BF rather than simply rejecting BF for FF if the mother has a condition requiring ongoing medication.

And in terms of simply offering my "opinion," My positions are based in the scientific literature just as much as ADVentive's are. I simply haven't cited them because ADVentive has cited most of them already.

An awful lot of the education medical and nursing professionals receive about breastfeeding is either abbreviated or inaccurate - even the lactation consultants I've had the experience of working with give inaccurate information. And the medical and nursing professionals who don't know any better pass it along. Not just opinion - experience.

Cheerio!
turtlemom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*
~*~ Parkinson's Law for Medical Research:
Successful research attracts the bigger grant which makes further research impossible. ~*~
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*

Old 06-04-2007, 06:13 PM

160 posts, read 526,454 times
Get it, just don't agree. Obviously there are regional difference, just because you met someone who was overzealous doesn't give you the right to label others as LLL nazis. Of course there are extremists in every subject in the world, but its unfair to genralize. The first meeting I went to, I didn't feel pressured to do anything. I was still pregnant and just exploring all of my options...and I know others that left another LLL group because a leader was too beligerant to the ones that already were bfing!
Irishmom and deerislesmile ...Your hospitals and prenatal care providers may do a great job at educating, but it's not like that everywhere. From what I've heard Maine is pretty progressive in most things aren't they? South Florida C-section rates are astronomical and women who come from cultures where breastfeeding is the norm are sometimes made to feel the doctor knows better and not to follow their own instincts. Of course this is purely anecdotal info. I wish I could paste some of the birth stories from a yahoo group I'm a part of where babies have been given formula, pacifiers and are routinely taken away from the mother for everything you mentionin south Florida. Even outside of this group, most other people I know didn't even question why their babies were taken away, because they think that's just the way it is. I'm making these long posts, because I wish you would understand that you may have run into some very rude behavior by a mom who happens to breastfeed, but that doesn't mean every one of us who makes that choice is like that. Some of us are not fortunate to live in places where our choices were taken seriously by practitioners, so you have to fight for it. (But as you said things that are alternatives here are standard where you are.)
D, I think you're saying the same thing when you mentioned getting info from unbiased sources. It's just that Carnation has more money to market so they win out in the hospital right now and I wish there would be something to counteract that now, until the tides change and women are allowed to make a decisioio with complete unbiased info.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Get it, just don't agree. Obviously there are regional difference, just because you met someone who was overzealous doesn't give you the right to label others as LLL nazis. Of course there are extremists in every subject in the world, but its unfair to genralize.
I'm referring to the ones I have met as nazis, and I have met many not just one. I would love to meet one that isn't overzealous and demeaning toward a person who doesn't breastfeed. But unfortunately that isn't the norm from the women I've met. I also do agree that breastfeeding is preferred, but again it's still a CHOICE that is all I'm saying.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:50 PM

985 posts, read 2,553,436 times
When I was in nursing school, we had a woman from the leche league come to talk to us about breast feeding. She was going to bring her baby so that we could see breast feeding first hand. Well the baby was almost 3 years old. I could not get the breatfeeding scene out of my head. It was a shocker to me, I was only 19 at the time. I think that is why I bottled fed my very 2 healthy kids. Who are now almost grown, very healthy, very smart and happy kids. Did I go wrong somewhere???

Old 06-04-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I'm making these long posts, because I wish you would understand that you may have run into some very rude behavior by a mom who happens to breastfeed, but that doesn't mean every one of us who makes that choice is like that. Some of us are not fortunate to live in places where our choices were taken seriously by practitioners, so you have to fight for it.
I completely understand that not all women who breastfeed are that way. I don't want anyone here to think that I don't support and educate my clients that choose to breastfeed, or that I would ever discourage any of them from breastfeeding if that was what they wanted to do. In fact, I provide a great amount of support for bfing moms. It just happens that I do it for my ffing moms, too.

What benefit do the hospitals get for giving out the bags- does anyone know? I am curious as to why they continue to give it out, if they know that it's not the best thing to do. Or perhaps why they give it automatically to everyone, instead of asking if the mother would like one? I don't think there is financial gain, so I'm curious as to why they do it. ADVentive, could you find me some studies as to why the hospitals give the bags out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or