Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:59 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,639,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscrapercrazy View Post
I couldn't have said it any better. If I ever behaved that way as kid I would get a proper spanking, I don't think I got a trauma because of that.

Nowadays parents are afraid of their kids, that's why the little bastards are the bosses. You raise your hand on that kid, hit him hard and you'll see if he doesn't start to behave accordingly.
Todays kids are out of control because they no longer make dads like my dad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 12:24 PM

382 posts, read 758,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Todays kids are out of control because they no longer make dads like my dad.
True, for myself I'd replace dad by mum. But it's very true.

Today's parents are terrified of giving the little brats some discipline.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:24 PM

160 posts, read 321,175 times
Quote:
True, for myself I'd replace dad by mum. But it's very true.

Today's parents are terrified of giving the little brats some discipline.
Do you all realize this child is THREE YEARS OLD??? He isn't a 7 or 10 or 12 year old child saying "Damn it, I'm not going to school, go to hell|!!"
He isn't saying "Give me a friggen beer or I'm gonna kick your ass!"

He is a little tiny THREE year old!! Have any of you SEEN a three year old? Talked to a THREE year old??
If you smack around a three year old for BEING a three year old, a child that is LEARNING about boundaries and manners and how to be a good little boy or girl then, I think, YOU should be the one getting punished!!

I just can't believe what I am reading!! This is disgusting!

Old 01-19-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Let me tell you something my grandma used to say " a child that misbehaves in public is allowed to misbehave at home " . Put that hand to that behind and I guarantee you will see a different child altogether . I believe in spanking and have spanked both my two boys . They are now 23 and 25 and were never ever brought home by the police , been in jail , involved in mischief or drugs or any nonsense . Why ? because they knew disipline and that I would not tolerate any of it . Yes children are different as night and day . What works for some does not work for others . But I do believe that if displine applied the proper way goes a long way and now is the time to get that 3 yr old in hand before he is 13 and hitting you and knocking you to the ground and by that time you have lost control . Good luck .
you are a lucky woman if your children have NEVER done drugs or been involved in any nonsense. Could it be Never involved that you KNOW of? No child of any age tell their mommy and daddy EVERYTHNG especially if they know they are going to get a beating for it!!
How old were they when you started spanking? When your infant starting eating solid food and spit some up did he get a smack for making a mess? What about when they were learning to walk and fell down and cried? When they were a year and couldn't get the block to fit into the right hole of their toy, did you hit them because they were having their first temper tantrum??

Old 01-19-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorrieMA View Post
Do you all realize this child is THREE YEARS OLD??? He isn't a 7 or 10 or 12 year old child saying "Damn it, I'm not going to school, go to hell|!!"

He is a little tiny THREE year old!! Have any of you SEEN a three year old? Talked to a THREE year old??
If you smack around a three year old for BEING a three year old, a child that is LEARNING about boundaries and manners and how to be a good little boy or girl then, I think, YOU should be the one getting punished!!

Yes I have a nephew who is exactly this age. Give them a spanking and them come to me saying he didn't start showing some manners to his parents.

Once you smack them, they know who is in charge.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Yes I have a nephew who is exactly this age. Give them a spanking and them come to me saying he didn't start showing some manners to his parents.

Once you smack them, they know who is in charge.
This is very sad!! Very sad! THere have been studies done on children that have been "smacked" you should READ some of them. OR just go to the book store and READ all of the books on CHILD ABUSE!!

That's not SHOWING them manners! That's teaching them that if you want your way when you are an ADULT, and you can't get it SMACK someone smaller then you!!

Old 01-19-2010, 03:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
This is very sad!! Very sad! THere have been studies done on children that have been "smacked" you should READ some of them. OR just go to the book store and READ all of the books on CHILD ABUSE!!

That's not SHOWING them manners! That's teaching them that if you want your way when you are an ADULT, and you can't get it SMACK someone smaller then you!!
ya, I can't say I'm 100% against spanking. But if the only way you can get a kid to mind is by hitting them, you've got problems. What happens when they get bigger than you? (you in general, not YOU) How can you teach a kid not to hit by hitting them?

Old 01-19-2010, 03:52 PM

Really what's the drama? Back then everyone was spanked, that was the way parents used to handle it, even with 3 year olds, and I don't see people in their 30s, 40s, 50s hitting anyone.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:06 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,899,950 times
Quote:
Really what's the drama? Back then everyone was spanked, that was the way parents used to handle it, even with 3 year olds, and I don't see people in their 30s, 40s, 50s hitting anyone.

I had no idea you had all of those hidden cameras trained on our households!!!

Seriously, no one knows whether or not I spank my children unless they ask and I give a truthful answer. I don't go around spouting my discipline methods to any yahoo I happen to run into at the grocery store or whatever.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:10 PM

271 posts, read 785,037 times
Quote:

I agree with you. I can't believe how many people are acting like smacking your child is the answer. I got spankings when I was little and I only got them when I would do something dangerous. (like once when I ran out in the middle of the street without holding hands) But I was terrified of my dad because of it. I want my child to be disciplined but I don't want her to be frightened of me because I can cause her physical pain! Not to mention, not all kids respond to spankings in the way the adult wants them to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting