Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 01:03 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,874,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Ah ok, so they have to take those tests after all. So they will get marks. I don't know any Portuguese parents who homeschool their kids. Maybe there are some in remote dying villages in the hinterland...

But I would not do that anyway I guess, I don't think I would be a good teacher, what if I screwed up and ruined the future of my kids? Nor would I want my kids to see me as a teacher. I would want them to consider me a loving parent and nothing but that.
Don't sell yourself short. You are teaching them every day even if it is not academic school subjects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 01:08 PM

25,915 posts, read 24,591,835 times
That is the very point. Everyday wisdoms and lessons are different from academic content. I don't want to tell my kids that they have to learn this and that formula by heart, that they have to read this or that book etc.

I like the role of the evil teacher outsourced to strangers

I just did a little research. In 2007 there were 4 children from 3 families being homeschooled in all of Portugal

In Germany, where I come from, it is forbidden, parents can go to jail if they withhold their kids from regular schools.

Last edited by Neuling; 01-19-2010 at 01:24 PM..

Old 01-19-2010, 03:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,046,636 times
No, I don't. We do preschool, then public school. We don't push second languages, or "your baby can read". I don't even know the different types of preschool curriculum that are out there. Just teach my kid his letters and numbers and how to write his name. "gifted" is gifted - God given, IMO, not something that can be taught. I think being well-rounded is important. We put them in sports, but only if they want to be in them. I'm trying to expose them to different things now to narrow it down to what they really like later. I like to travel with them to expose them to stuff outside our town. I just want well rounded, well behaved kids.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:58 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,676,449 times
Quote:
Do you feed your children to that industry, too?
Nope.

The best minds in the world didn't need what is going on these days. Einstein to Gates weren't forcefed from the time they were in diapers. Or worse, the womb.

It has already been proven that the Baby Einstein program is ineffective. No reading program in the world is able to teach understanding to babies.

Organized sports for pre-school and lower el kids do damage to growing bones and joints. Climbing trees, running, making up games and rules, etc. by kids is better education than anything manufactured by adults.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:37 PM

664 posts, read 1,941,335 times
Quote:
Like with so many products today I think the market is created by the very industry itself, not by the people as such. The trick is the creation of the illusion of the necessity.
Well I think you answered your own question.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:52 AM

16,978 posts, read 16,206,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Nope.

The best minds in the world didn't need what is going on these days. Einstein to Gates weren't forcefed from the time they were in diapers. Or worse, the womb.

It has already been proven that the Baby Einstein program is ineffective. No reading program in the world is able to teach understanding to babies.

Organized sports for pre-school and lower el kids do damage to growing bones and joints. Climbing trees, running, making up games and rules, etc. by kids is better education than anything manufactured by adults.
I've never heard that about organized sports and young kids. I've had my kids in pre soccer classes at the rec center and they've dabbled in other sports, although they haven't been on any real "teams," yet - so nothing competitive.

I can see how repetitive movements - like doing the same kicks/head movements/arm swings over and over could be hard on growing bones and joints, though. Although I think that would be more of a problem with Wii (which my kids also play) than in something like preschooler soccer camp where the kids mostly just run around any way.

But I agree, nothing beats a decent climbing tree and a good game of tag..

Old 01-20-2010, 12:18 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,874,338 times
I don't know about that either but I have read that kids who are in the same sport year-round (think travel teams/2 or 3 seasons of the same sport plus off-season coaching so they don't get stale) can have repetitive motion injuries. The example I read was young kids injuring their rotator cuff because they are pitching year-round between extended seasons and private coaching.

I know people who do cross-fit and I have been looking at it and attempting some of the workouts. It really showed me how unfit we can become as adults when we leave behind the whole-body "exercise" we do as kids and focus too much on certain things. The active play that kids do climbing trees, swinging on the monkey bars, doing cartwheels, walking on their hands, etc... is great for building balanced whole-body strength.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 840 times
I think you all have good and interesting points. I do not think that that it is a problem at all however, to take you kids to programs like FasTracKids, nor do I cynically think that the need for programs like that was created as just a way to make money. It has been proven by an independant study from Welsley College even that FasTracKids changes a childs brain (creates more synapses) and therefore it is a fact that those children are better off because of that. Not to mention it is not like these programs are chinese water torture these kids have fun and make friends and have social experiences in these classes. There are hands on experiments, creative encouragement, and peer interaction. It's not like anyone is saying that these programs are all your kids need. You still need to be the parent and if you can give them great trips and travel experiences, well that's great too. So much goes into your childs development and why should any of it be looked at negatively. I think most of us want the same thing. We want our kids and the next generation to not just get by or be as good as us, but to be happy and as good they personaly can be for the greater good and improvment of their lives and the world as a whole. As far as raising your kids the old fashioned way I think that is great as long as you really do it and put the time in, and not just use that catch phrase as an exuse and put your kids in front of a tv or video game all the time, and then say they are spending time with you at home. Every parent has a responsibility to their child to truely do their best for them. There is no test to prove that we have but inside we can know and can feel the truth. If anyone is interested you can look up the Wellsley College study on their website. Best wishes to all parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting