U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 10:00 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,411,901 times

Advertisements

I think this story is horrid. Yep, the parents were a bit cavalier...but they were having their dinner 100 ft. away, no? Pls correct me if I am wrong.

The sad thing here is that child predators go after pretty kids. I'm sorry for telling you, that don't understand this, but it is true. The creep that took her probably saw her having fun with her parents and made her his mark. I doubt anything the parents would have done, other than hold her 24/7 would have saved her.

I still think she is alive. She is very pretty and would be hard to part with for this kind of evil person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 12:27 PM

6 posts, read 12,433 times
Here in Portugal we are not used to this kind of situations. Portugal is a quite safe country where teens and people in general (perhaps with some kind of caution in the capital and in big centres) can go for walks and feel free. There is no tradition of this kind of crimes. Portugal is really a place where we can live peacefully. Despite this, parents are very careful about their children and it's not very common to leave them alone to go out for dinner. It's considered negligence. I live on the northern coast of Portugal, more precisely in a beautiful town named Povoa de Varzim and i can tell you that local families and groups of foreign visitors feel at ease in here. We don't fear anything but this doesn't of course mean that we don't take any care, especially with children. In the Algarve there's a very large British community and I believe this resort belongs to British people. As a joke we often comment here in Portugal that the Algarve region is not Portuguese since English is the most spoken language. Anyway Portugal is like many other European countries probably used by bad intentioned people - there are no borders. This is the EU with all its advantages and disadvantages.
As far as Maddie's case is concerned, the Portuguese and the British Police are almost 100% sure she was killed in her bedroom. All the papers tell about contradictory statements and dogs have detected signs of dead person. We are waiting for the results from the Birmingham Lab. The police know more than they say and this was really, really a very strange case.
If anything sad comes up, we all will feel very sorry. Everybody has been praying for this little girl. Feelings are changing towards the family. Let's wait and then we'll judge.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:11 PM

16,487 posts, read 20,342,651 times
Wow Lidia, that is something. I know many facts lead to the fact that she may indeed be dead. It is sooooo sad. There is no reason that little girl should have gone through this. Her parents are highly educated physicians. Even 100 feet away is 100 feet away. There were 3 children 4 and under in that room, way too young to be left alone.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:53 AM

955 posts, read 3,258,934 times
have you seen the latest update?

Missing girl’s parents to be suspects - Europe - MSNBC.com

Old 09-07-2007, 01:17 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,196,335 times
That is shocking !!!!!! Is it even true ? I mean if the parents have nothing to do with this, they may be really and truly devastated .. Losing a child first, and then getting blamed for being involved in her death!! OMG ! I really want to see what turns out of this. I hope it isnt true though.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:35 PM

673 posts, read 2,876,941 times
This case gets crazier by the minute. I just hate to think that she is dead but the signs dont look good for her to be alive. What a shame.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:02 PM

Remember I told you there were many "silences" and the Portuguese police in cooperation with the British were very good?
At this moment Kate and Gerry have been considered "arguidos" which is being translated by "oficial suspects".
From the beginning the police were puzzled by the different statements of maddie's parents and friends. An English neighbour (but not friend) stated that when the little girl disappeared and the confusion was installed she offered herself to call the police but Kate answered it had already been called. Actually the police was called after that. For God sake! 4 hours later!!!
On the Portuguese news we have been told lately that by the time police arrived, Gerry was already making some phone calls to British Press! More, yesterday Gerry admitted that Kate gave sleeping pills(or injections) to the kids so that they fell asleep faster. Would you do this? Is this normal?
Yesterday during the inquiry when she was asked the reason why her clothes showed smell of dead person, she pointed as reason that as she works as a doctor she had contacted with dead people in Britain. They asked her if she used to take the teddy bear with her to the hospital as well.
Don't forget this family is very very well related in Britain and now they are (again) working on the Media to spread the idea that Portugal and the Portuguese Police are being ridiculous. Whay has the Vatican taken out from its site Maddie's case? Did you know that?
They are treating Portugal as a third world country but it won't work. The British Justice Minister has just declared that Portugal is doing what should be done. And it seems that they are "forgetting" the fact that the evidence against them was revealed by a British Forensic Centre.
Police are convinced Maddie died of negligence, accidentally and her body was hidden by her parents. Let's wait!
I just would like to tell you that the condition of "arguido" is often required by people as it allows them to refuse answering to questions they would be forced to as "witnesses". Actually it gives people more rights in terms of inquiries.
At first we all thought that going to Rome, to Fátima, to the Church everyday, appearing on the Media, etc, without tears was a cultural behaviour. The Portuguese are different! Everybody commented "How strong they are! We wouldn't be able of so much!"
Unfortunately Maddie won't appear alive! We prayed so much...

Old 09-08-2007, 12:49 PM

658 posts, read 2,186,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusySocialWorker View Post
well they said that they rented a car for 1 day before they were supposed to leave even though that was un-necessary because they had the police and other ppl chufering them around and they found blood in the trunk of the car also the dogs detected the scent of a corpse on the mom and maddelines favorite stuffed toy and when the mom went to check on her she ran back into the restaurant screaming they took her after all the evidence shown i dont doubt for 1 second that little girl was killed by the mom

Old 09-08-2007, 01:57 PM

Well, another question.
Would you leave the two twins alone (in the crime scene) and go back to the restaurant shouting "They took her!"? Everybody thought this was very strange. After having her baby "kidnapped" she left the 2 babies in the flat and went back to the restaurant. The most natural reaction would be to hold them!
It's not nice to blame people but we really feel cheated. Every family, every mother or father here was praying for the little girl to appear. You know, there were campaigns, prayers, all type of support from the Portuguese. Local people helped them to search for maddie. Religion and faith were involved. We all feel betrayed especially all the parents whose children have been abducted without having had the support and media cover the Mccann had.

Last edited by Lidia; 09-08-2007 at 02:07 PM..

Old 09-08-2007, 05:29 PM

25,383 posts, read 24,162,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
I think this story is horrid. Yep, the parents were a bit cavalier...but they were having their dinner 100 ft. away, no? Pls correct me if I am wrong.

The sad thing here is that child predators go after pretty kids. I'm sorry for telling you, that don't understand this, but it is true. The creep that took her probably saw her having fun with her parents and made her his mark. I doubt anything the parents would have done, other than hold her 24/7 would have saved her.

I still think she is alive. She is very pretty and would be hard to part with for this kind of evil person.
Actually, predators more often prey on children who seem to have some sort of insecurity. A child who walks home from school with her head down, a child who doesn't seem to have many friends, etc. is less likely to stand up for herself or be sure of saying "no" if a stranger offers her a ride, etc. She is also more likely to seek attention despite warning/danger signals. Not every victimized child fits this description, but it is more often this type of child than an outgoing, secure, confident child. A confident child is far more likely to kick you in the shins and scream as loudly as possible.

Back to the story, it's awful and sad...I told myself not to open the thread but I did anyway, gaaaaaaaaaaaaah. I wish this on no parent, ever and obviously any child who is forced to go through something like this, well...there must be a very special hell for people who abduct/harm children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or