U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 06:04 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,411,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Actually, predators more often prey on children who seem to have some sort of insecurity. A child who walks home from school with her head down, a child who doesn't seem to have many friends, etc. is less likely to stand up for herself or be sure of saying "no" if a stranger offers her a ride, etc. She is also more likely to seek attention despite warning/danger signals. Not every victimized child fits this description, but it is more often this type of child than an outgoing, secure, confident child. A confident child is far more likely to kick you in the shins and scream as loudly as possible.

Back to the story, it's awful and sad...I told myself not to open the thread but I did anyway, gaaaaaaaaaaaaah. I wish this on no parent, ever and obviously any child who is forced to go through something like this, well...there must be a very special hell for people who abduct/harm children.
That's interesting about the "insecure" child who would be a target. You are probably right about this, as a predator will go after an available target.

I did some work at a child abuse agency and heard over and over how they target "attractive" kids. These creeps have preferences. I know it's sick. I don't like to dwell on it.

Looks like her parents were involved now, not a stranger....but maybe this will turn out to be media hype.

I don't know which is worse. Uggghhhh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 06:11 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,136,339 times
My first thoughts about this were what kind of parent would leave a 4 year old alone with two 2 year olds in a hotel room in a foreign country? Portugal is well know for it's appeal to child molesters. I am hoping the parents did not do this but lately, there seems to be an epidemic of parents killing their children. What a beautiful little girl Maddie is.
In defense of Portugal, one could also say the USA is also soft on child preditors. We seem to have too many activist judges turning a blind eye to them lately. We need to globally put a stop to this.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:26 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,411,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
My first thoughts about this were what kind of parent would leave a 4 year old alone with two 2 year olds in a hotel room in a foreign country? Portugal is well know for it's appeal to child molesters. I am hoping the parents did not do this but lately, there seems to be an epidemic of parents killing their children. What a beautiful little girl Maddie is.
In defense of Portugal, one could also say the USA is also soft on child preditors. We seem to have too many activist judges turning a blind eye to them lately. We need to globally put a stop to this.
Yes, leaving them alone in a hotel room was odd behavior, for sure. Doesn't mean they killed her, but it is a red flag.

I guess you've heard the theory is that the Mom gave them injections of sleeping medication (she and husband are physicians) and it killed Maddie...they rationalized it (somehow!) then hid her body, then Mom ran into the restaurant screaming that her child had been abducted....but, here is the wierd part....she ran into the restaurant while leaving the small twins still in the room that she said Maddie was abducted from! I just don't know what to make of this. Very tragic. If they did this, I don't know how they continue living with the knowledge.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:44 AM

660 posts, read 2,418,174 times
I think any parent, or rational adult for that matter, would not leave those two babies alone for a second if she thought her older daughter had been abducted. The first thing I would do would be to grab my kids, make sure they were ok, then, and only then, go for help. That is just human nature.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:51 PM

144 posts, read 749,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetegnc View Post
I have a 2 and 4 year old...

how does one survive if they were gone?

LOTS and LOTS of counseling....I can't bear the thought

Ok..would you leave your children locked in a hotel room in a strange country while you and you dh went out to dine? That's where the problem lies...these parents are yahoos at best. Who in their right mind leaves children alone like that? I doubt they will make that mistake twice. I just pray they dont' find out that the parents were involved...I read some where about them drugging the kids so they'd sleep the whole they were gone, dont' know if it's true or not

Old 09-10-2007, 02:55 PM

6 posts, read 12,431 times
Default Watch the video from Sky News

Although all this involves really influential people, do please watch this video from the British Sky News. Sky News Video - Police 'Found Full DNA Match' In McCanns' Car (http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,91210-1283507,.html - broken link)

There is a 100% match with Maddie's DNA. Let's wait! By the way, do you know who their lawyer is? No doubt available for everyone...
In the meanwhile the counter information and campaign goes on

Old 09-10-2007, 11:21 PM

2,203 posts, read 8,224,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
My first thought, too. I mean I remember when my kids were little. How in the world could you leave your kids alone at that age, foreign country or not!? What if one of them wakes up, for whatever reason, and mommy and daddy aren't there? They'll be scared, for sure. Two-year-olds and four-year-olds are used to having mommy and daddy come when they call. What's the first thing the little one is going to do? Go looking for mom or dad, of course. I really cannot imagine leaving such young children alone for any reason. . . . Maybe if one of the siblings was 12 or something, but even then . . . When we traveled, even when the kids were older, we always dined together and did things as a family (it's called a family vacation. Just very strange, for sure. It does make you question the parent's competence at the very least.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:09 AM

2 posts, read 4,672 times
I only recently became deeply interested in this story, when I first heard a child was kidnapped from the rented apartment while sleeping with her sibblings of less than three years of age and lets not forget this girl at the time was only three herself. Knowing the parents are both doctors and the hotel offers babysitting to their clients my first thought was the parents are invovled...............

I do not understand why anyone would consider Portugal a country full of child molesters. This is a world wide problem and if you would like to point a finger at some one point the your fingers at these careless parents, yesterday I heard Gerry (father) state they have done nothing wrong and never neglected their children, I would like to know what he considers neglect.

My main reason I have posted a reply was I was recently told the parents had a medical chemical used for washing surfaces soiled with blood, did anyone else hear or read this? Also I have been told they have not answered as to why they had the liquid with them on vacation....

member from Portugal

Old 09-11-2007, 12:38 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,136,339 times
If they were giving the kids shots to make them sleepy, how would the police explain the blood? I wonder if Gretchin did not hit on something important. Maybe the little girl banged her head and went out looking for the parents and was grabbed outside the hotel. I think there was such a small amount of blood in the room, but maybe a small bump or cut would cause the child to go seeking mom and dad.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:44 PM

6 posts, read 12,431 times
I do not agree that Portugal is known as a country of child molestors. Usually foreign people are involved. Most of them are not Portuguese but unfortunately predators exist everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or