Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2007, 12:31 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times

Advertisements

I love my daughter, she is everything to me...but I am enjoying a night off.

She is at a friends house, someone she has known since she was in kindergarten, even better the Mother is a nurse so I know she is safe...

AND I can enjoy a nice, quiet evening alone. My daughter makes fun of my music, has the cheek to tell me its too loud, she can't hear the TV or the video game...

How do you guys feel about your kids being on sleep overs, I am pretty careful but I still allow it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 01:21 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I love my daughter, she is everything to me...but I am enjoying a night off.

She is at a friends house, someone she has known since she was in kindergarten, even better the Mother is a nurse so I know she is safe...

AND I can enjoy a nice, quiet evening alone. My daughter makes fun of my music, has the cheek to tell me its too loud, she can't hear the TV or the video game...

How do you guys feel about your kids being on sleep overs, I am pretty careful but I still allow it.
The situation you described with your daughter is the best...she's having fun, in a safe place with a person you trust...the absolute best. It makes it easy for you to enjoy the break with out guilt. I love when they do that...and it's even better when I can ship both off together, although that's a very rare occurence.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:57 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
I always went to sleepover when i was a kid and loved em. I think it makes them more independent and helps them alot. Peace and quiet, man o man o man o man i cannot wait for some of that You want my 1 and 3yr old for the nite ?

Old 05-30-2007, 12:24 PM

My daughter had one friend who had two sisters as well, when my daughter invited the one that was her age they all came...I had four kids that time...her parents never felt the need to reciprocate and I never asked them over again.

I don't care if children come and make a mess, make tent, take all the cushions off the couch...but I expect them to clean up afterwards...

I normally order pizza from the local delivery place and have waffles and pancakes for the morning but I set it up so that my daughter is the hostess and I stay out of their way most of the time.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:07 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I always went to sleepover when i was a kid and loved em. I think it makes them more independent and helps them alot. Peace and quiet, man o man o man o man i cannot wait for some of that You want my 1 and 3yr old for the nite ?
I'll take yours if you take mine...LOL

Old 05-30-2007, 02:46 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Only if they come with an off switch

Old 06-03-2007, 03:23 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,937 times
My son (12) had a sleepover at our house friday night to kind of celebrate the end of the school year (this is the last week of school). What fun - pizza, soda, video games, and a water balloon fight outside the next morning . His twin sister went to a birthday sleepover last night (and came home at noon today).

Sleepovers can be a lot of fun when it's the right mix of kids .

Old 06-03-2007, 05:01 PM

My daughter has a friend over tonight and in the morning I am taking them to the pool...

They are pretty good at occupying themselves so its not much trouble.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:54 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Default a word of caution...

I always thought they were great. My one word of caution would be to make sure that the parents share your personal standards and guidelines before you let your child spend the night at someone else's house. My own son, age 16, died while spending the night at a friend's house, along with the boy who he was staying with and one other boy. They died in a freak car accident going out to shoot fireworks after midnight. Let me try to be clear about this: I do NOT blame the other boy's parents for what happened. I don't think they made an unreasonable decision but they did allow the boys to go out in the car after midnight. Again, while I don't blame them for it, I still can't help but think that it wouldn't have happened on our "watch" so to speak because my husband was so strict about curfews etc.

So that is my word of caution-again, just make sure that you and the other parents are on the same page, so to speak, with what you will allow and what you won't.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I always thought they were great. My one word of caution would be to make sure that the parents share your personal standards and guidelines before you let your child spend the night at someone else's house. My own son, age 16, died while spending the night at a friend's house, along with the boy who he was staying with and one other boy. They died in a freak car accident going out to shoot fireworks after midnight. Let me try to be clear about this: I do NOT blame the other boy's parents for what happened. I don't think they made an unreasonable decision but they did allow the boys to go out in the car after midnight. Again, while I don't blame them for it, I still can't help but think that it wouldn't have happened on our "watch" so to speak because my husband was so strict about curfews etc.

So that is my word of caution-again, just make sure that you and the other parents are on the same page, so to speak, with what you will allow and what you won't.
KayKay, I am SO sorry to hear you lost your son.

For me all the rules change once she is old enough or her friends are old enough to drive...she is only 10 now.

Thanks for the advice, I know that time is coming but I am not looking forward to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting