Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 10:12 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
That's just me but yeah in general many men, in terms of kids, like to have it the easy way. Even when it's not threatening cases, just for talking back or simply disobeying, they like to smack instead of talking.
No...that sounds like my mother. My father never laid a hand on me. And guess who I respect more and am closer to as an adult, as was more of an active parent in my life? My father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Yes, you're right. Reasoning with a toddler is always effective... Actually, I know quite a few people who "reason" with their very young children - and those kids are some of the most unruly, disrespectful, out-of-control brats you'll find anywhere.

It's usually parents who went to college - often it's actually teachers - and they think they're far too smart to spank their kids. They feel they've evolved far beyond such an archaic and outmoded form of discipline.

So while they're sitting around pontificating about what awesome parents they are, their kids are off destroying stuff.
Really? Than what explains my 2 well-behaved respectful kids who were never hit, smacked, spanked? (whatever you want to call it). Even our 2 year old responds just fine to time-outs when he acts up. But if you smack a kid that age, all that teaches him is to handle problems with physical force. My kids are taught that the only instance that hitting is ever OK is in self defense. Period.

On the flip side of your argument that parents who went to college generally don't hit their kids, you're right. People who are more interlligent tend to be more intelligent as parents. People who are too dumb to use other effective ways of discipline tend to resort to physical force. The same way most intelligent adults can talk about the disagreements with each other, but get a bunch of dummies together, and there's more likely to be a fist fight than talking or debating disagreements.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:22 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,812,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
No...that sounds like my mother. My father never laid a hand on me. And guess who I respect more and am closer to as an adult, as was more of an active parent in my life? My father.
Yes there are exceptional cases and it's a good thing he didn't imply ''useless fear strategy'' because at some point as you're older you just don't care.. instead of fear, it's more of challenging and you're like ''Alright, I dare you'' only to find out that nothing happens.. LOL (if it would have happened, there you can always fight back in that case). I guess implying fear does opposites to some people. Some will comply and back down while others will just get even more irritated.

But it's cool seeing there are civilized, mature adults not those getting upset easily wanting to take things the easy way.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
The same way most intelligent adults can talk about the disagreements with each other, but get a bunch of dummies together, and there's more likely to be a fist fight than talking or debating disagreements.
This reminds me of stupid guys fighting over who call their momma bad names and insults. That's not even life-threatening cases but only for respecting their so called honor. There were other options such as reporting that incidence but they chose not to and Mr. Jerk1 decided to go against Mr. Jerk2.. the ending result is two douches fighting like kids.

I would fight for self-defense. For example.. if someone tries to choke me, starts beating me and won't stop, or is about to molest my brother then those are good reasons but fighting over someone saying mean words.. please.... only amateurs do that.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:30 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Really? Than what explains my 2 well-behaved respectful kids who were never hit, smacked, spanked? (whatever you want to call it). Even our 2 year old responds just fine to time-outs when he acts up. But if you smack a kid that age, all that teaches him is to handle problems with physical force. My kids are taught that the only instance that hitting is ever OK is in self defense. Period.
Ahhh... So you're the extremely successful parent of extremely young kids.

How about you explain to me how my 3 adult children - all of whom were spanked when needed - ended up being such incredibly bright, successful and well adjusted adults?

Old 01-28-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
On the flip side of your argument that parents who went to college generally don't hit their kids, you're right. People who are more interlligent tend to be more intelligent as parents. People who are too dumb to use other effective ways of discipline tend to resort to physical force. The same way most intelligent adults can talk about the disagreements with each other, but get a bunch of dummies together, and there's more likely to be a fist fight than talking or debating disagreements.
I have a terminal degree - as well as the prerequisite degrees.

Where are you in your education?

Old 01-28-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Ahhh... So you're the extremely successful parent of extremely young kids.

How about you explain to me how my 3 adult children - all of whom were spanked when needed - ended up being such incredibly bright, successful and well adjusted adults?
No, I have a grade-school age child too. Nothing but great reviews on his behavior from his teachers. Meanwhile, there are some kids he goes to school with that are disrespectful little brats that I know are spanked by their parents.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
No, I have a grade-school age child too. Nothing but great reviews on his behavior from his teachers. Meanwhile, there are some kids he goes to school with that are disrespectful little brats that I know are spanked by their parents.
You failed to answer the second half of the post.

You also failed to say what your degree of education is.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Its not really your business, but I have a bachelor's degree.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:

This is funny. He is suppose to answer your question but you won't answer his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting