Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 02:15 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times

Advertisements

I get it that the father acted out of a desire to protect his daughter, or out of anger at what the daughter was doing with this kid.

It's not so long ago that I had two teenage sons myself. Nevertheless, it appears this father was thinking short term when he should have been thinking long term. What do you suppose this little escapade might have done to his relationship with his daughter, and his ability to communicate with her about responsible behavior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
We'll have to agree to disagree. A dad (who did not relish being charged with destruction of property etc) could have easily retrieved his daughter from the backseat (no dragging) told her to wait in the car and had a "discussion" with said BF and made it clear (in any number of verbal ways) that that was unacceptable behavior and he would NOT be continuing to see his daughter. He certainly could have made that clear without leaving the kid and the car out on the ice in the middle of the night.

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quite frankley I see this as the parents' fault.

Who allows their 14 yr. old daughter to "car date" alone and be out past 10pm anyway? Reaction by the father was extreme and unacceptable.

Clue: The best way not to find your 14 yr. old daughter in the backseat of a boys car at 1am is to not give them freedoms they are too young to handle responsibly.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but there would be a lot less pregnant teenagers if parents kept their daughters home or went out with them to provide transperation. Remember "chaperones"? Parenting requires full time participation.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:16 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
I guess you ladies have forgotten that dads protect their daughters...No matter how much you think we shouldn't..

Sorry but that's the way most of us are...

Old 01-21-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Who allows their 14 yr. old daughter to "car date" alone and be out past 10pm anyway? Reaction by the father was extreme and unacceptable.

Clue: The best way not to find your 14 yr. old daughter in the backseat of a boys car at 1am is to not give them freedoms they are too young to handle responsibly.
Exactly.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I guess you ladies have forgotten that dads protect their daughters...No matter how much you think we shouldn't..
Nice thought but just how would this dad have continued to "protect" his daughter if he ended up in jail. It is one thing to protect it is another to break the law.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:22 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,813,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Nice thought but just how would this dad have continued to "protect" his daughter if he ended up in jail. It is one thing to protect it is another to break the law.
Exactly, what then? Daughter is for life affected by a stupid action made by reckless father who couldn't even discuss like a mature grown-up? Later on, daughter has issue in terms of relationships and trust....

Old 01-21-2010, 02:25 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Well I'm glad to know that you think your 14 year old daughter is not worth going to jail over, I'm also sure she'll be glad to hear that from you!

Old 01-21-2010, 02:29 PM

It's great that dads have an instint to protect their daughters. Just as it's great that moms tend to nurture their sons....BUT just as there is a time when you can't always be a "mommy" - especially in front of their peers, there is a time when dads need to override the "kill" instinct and address the situation in a more constructive manner. You can be protective without stooping to this type of behavior....threatening to do it is one thing but actually doing it is quite another thing all together.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Well I'm glad to know that you think your 14 year old daughter is not worth going to jail over, I'm also sure she'll be glad to hear that from you!
I personally just think I'm a better parent whilst I'm NOT behind bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting