U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 07:14 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,938,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
You would allow your 14 year old daughter to go out on dates with a boy who drives? Wow. My daughter wasn't interested in dating at 14, but at 15 she was allowed to have her friend over, go to her friend's house, or be taken to a movie, then picked up by me or her friend's parent.

She's 16 now and is allowed to be in a car with only two of her friends who drive. They are both 18, trustworthy and just friends (no relationship).

As far as the girl being EQUALLY to blame; no. She was not behind the wheel. Had she been 16 and the boy 18 I would still say no. The boy, being older, and her date should have taken responsibility for her as the younger, and his date.

Granted, the father should not have put the boy in danger, but the boy was solely responsible for the events.
Again, my daughter now is in 9th grade, a 16 year old would be in 10th grade-ONE YEAR difference-big deal. I would be more concerned about a 16 year old going out with an 18 year old personally.

How in the heck does him being behind the wheel have ANYTHING to do with blame? Unless she was tied up and forced at gunpoint into the car, she shares the "blame" equally as she was a willing participant. I think some of the posters here are in for a HUGE shock when their "darling" daughters come home and tell you they are pregnant. Go hang out at the high school and see just how "innocent" these girls are. . Don't be so sure there is no "relationship" with your DD and these 18 year olds--often parents with rigid rules find themselves grandparents very early on as their children have to lie to them so they can have a social life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 07:48 AM

749 posts, read 1,095,641 times
My parents were very strict when it came to dating also. I remember laughing out loud at my mother when I was about 20 or so, because we were talking about whether or not she had been a good parent. She thought she had done her job well because I didn't get pregnant before I was 18. I just laughed at her and said that it had not been her good parenting but merely luck.

I think there was a similar comment made by one of the posters in this thread earlier and it gave me the same reaction.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:01 PM

8,334 posts, read 10,549,201 times
ALOT of teens think with their genitals & thats sad.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,003 times
[quote=John1960;12536433]WEST BLOOMFIELD, Mich., Jan. 20 (UPI) -- Michigan police said an angry father allegedly drove a car belonging to his daughter's boyfriend onto an icy lake with the teenager still inside.

Police said Scott David Sullivan, 43, of West Bloomfield, arrived at a beach near Pleasant Lake at about 1:30 a.m. Tuesday and found his 14-year-old daughter and her 16-year-old boyfriend in the back seat of the boy's parked 2010 Dodge Charger, WDIV-TV, Detroit, reported Wednesday.

The girl was a freshman 14 years old and the boy was not her boyfriend And he was almost 18 years old a senior at they were in the same music class at School. He persued her and manipulated her. He did lured her out of her home. He did try to take advantage of a younger girl. Instead of pursing girls in his own age and grade level. Knowing that a 14 old girl is nieve. The STORY IS INCORRECT AND SHAME on the police and the people keep making up stories. The ice on the lake was frozen solid. When the car rolled out on the lake it was running and sitting on the lake. The engine was already hot from running in the parking lot and the tow truck didn't show up until an hour later which made the ice melt and made the front end of the car sink into the ice. The tow truck couldn't pull it out so they left it there for the next morning. The car was then frozen into the lake and they used another method to pull the car out. As for the dad he did the right thing and yes as for the parents of the boy they felt their son did nothing wrong. As for the young girl it was very hard for her because society, school and the media look at her as lessor person. It was a hard lesson for her to learn.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 1,003 times
TO JOHN1960,

You need to get the facts straight. The girl was 14 a 100 pound freshman and the boy was about to turn eighteen a 200 pound senior football player. They were in the same music class together. They were not boyfriend and girlfriend. That boy was preying on her. That 200 lb senior football player should of been pursuing girls his age and grade level. He pursued this girl because he knew he could take advantage of a 14 year old who is nieve. The age maturity of a 14 year old girl and an 18 year old girl is much different. What a creep!!!!
When the father found his daughter missing he was afraid for her. It was a cold night and fresh snow had fallen. The area is very wooded it has an upnorth feeling to it with no street lights, or sidewalks. He followed the tire tracks down to the parklot where there is a lake. He found a car running and pulled his daughter out of the back seat. He told the boy that she is only 14 years old what did he think he was doing? And yes the father did the right thing protecting his daughter. As for the parents of that boy they felt there son did nothing wrong.

SHAME on JOHN1960 for not getting your facts straight.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:10 PM

22,249 posts, read 13,070,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by news2011 View Post
TO JOHN1960,

SHAME on JOHN1960 for not getting your facts straight.
FYI all John1960 did was put up the link. The story was written by someone at UPI.com. The story is nearly two years old.

(UPI stands for United Press International. It's a very old press syndicate.)

Old 11-17-2011, 07:31 PM

5,515 posts, read 3,329,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
The father of the girl left with her. They boy had plenty of time to exit the car and walk off the ice same as the father of the girl did. He CHOOSE to stay in the car as he CHOOSE to take a 14 year old girl into the back seat.
Did you not see the part where one of the tires sunk into the ice when he tried to drive back off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
ANY situation where a dad finds his 14-year old daughter in the back seat of a car with a spoiled 16-year old brat has a VERY high potential for jail time.
Who says the kid is spoiled?
When I was 18 I got to drive my mom's dodge durango, does that mean I was spoiled? No, it mean that was the car I had access to drive.

And girls are just as aggressive as guys, my brother's last girl friend was a ****, she was out with all these other guys, sneaking out, etc and when her mom found all this out she was with my brother at the time and her mom blamed my brother, when one of the girls friends was sneaking her out to a neighboring town to hook up with this guys who were 20, and she was "dating" a 19 year old who she worked with at a taco bell, she was 16.

Girls are aggressive these days, its not always the boys going after girls so hardcore.

And just because your daughter is making a choice to be sexually active doesn't mean you drive another persons car out onto ice with a MINOR in the vehicle, for the damage in the picture to occur. Nor do you go to jail over it.

He can be pissed all he wants but to endanger a child (did you see the car? and read one of the tires went through the ice?) and damage property is taking it way to far.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:37 AM

8 posts, read 10,317 times
So what's the news story? Big deal. No one got hurt. That's what fathers do and young boys know what happens when they are caught in the back seat with little Becky Sue. More fathers should do that and society must stop babying teenagers. If it was my son he would have dunked twice. Once by the girls dad then me.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:41 AM

8 posts, read 10,317 times
Statements like that are why fathers have too drive the little punks on the lake. Plus common sense tells ya the guy knew what he was doing. He was just scaring him and it worked.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:43 AM

5,515 posts, read 3,329,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith50t View Post
So what's the news story? Big deal. No one got hurt. That's what fathers do and young boys know what happens when they are caught in the back seat with little Becky Sue. More fathers should do that and society must stop babying teenagers. If it was my son he would have dunked twice. Once by the girls dad then me.
Yeah drive a heavy vehicle out onto an icy lake with a MINOR inside of it.
Very logical...

The father didn't know how thick the ice was, he didn't know WHAT was going to happen if he did that, the ice could have broken and the boy could have been killed. Whether or not the boy was ok, he still put that boys life in danger.

And preying my ass, the daughter is as much to blame, she left her house, if she didn't have some interest or curiosity that needed to be satisfied then she wouldn't have left with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting