U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:23 AM

533 posts, read 1,035,910 times
I havent read the replies yet so I apologize if this wasa already brought up (mom of 3 trying to post without interruption ha!)

have you looked into the possibility of reflux? Your infants symptoms sounds very familiar to my youngest (now 7 months old). We did the elimination diet (keep in mind it takes 2-3 weeks before your system is clear if it is a milk allergy) with no results and after a lot of research figured out he was dealing with reflux. After a few weeks of trying to find the right fir, our son is now on Prevacid and it has helped TREMENDOUSLY!!! Our lil guy went from screaming and gassy and in pain after every meal to the happiest lil baby on the block.

I wish you luck and while I know its hard right now, hang in there. I promise, no matter what is causing your baby pain, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Hugs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 12:59 PM

183 posts, read 132,905 times
I hope youve gotten a dent in it here Casi, all of these things sound realy good to try. And they range from little things like lifting their legs and pressing into their bellys to buying different food for yourself, meds and possibly cereal. Let me know if any of these works for you. When you come up here, if you need a hand do not hesistate to call me. I would gladly help. And if you would rather stay with a friend than with your gparents my house is open to you, I do have spare room for you. Just let me know. I hope that you were able to find something to works for DK. Give him and extra hug and kiss for me and tell him Im thinking bout him.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:00 PM

183 posts, read 132,905 times
and thank you guys, all of you for your wonderful feedback. You have no idea how helpful it is to get other parents advice.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:33 PM

521 posts, read 1,389,277 times
Two thoughts, other than what has already been mentioned. Swaddle, swaddle, swaddle...it was a life saver with our daugther. Often calmed her instantly. Buy the Swaddle Me blankets from Babies R Us, they are very easy.

Also, check into the "Happiest Baby on the Block" series...there's a book, video and DVD...but definitely find the CD which has "soothing sounds". They are a bit crazy and scary sounding, sort of like a vacuum cleaner or heavy machinery...but it also worked wonders on our daughter. My son, on the other hand, was not helped by this at all, but still worth a shot.

And most importantly, make sure that your friend knows that things will get better. Newborns can be so hard but it does get better!

Old 01-23-2010, 08:53 PM

574 posts, read 1,244,237 times
prop baby up to sleep on left side, back aggravates acid reflux/gas; right side is the worst. I know it goes against the "new" advice, but tummy sleeping is good. If it's cold, a blanket sleeper will keep baby warm and protected against smothering - no blankets in crib, only a sheet on mattress.

Car rides. Sometimes just putting baby in the car with engine running, don't even go anyway. (NO, not alone, sit and knit). Sing/hum to baby.

Mom, grandma, and GREAT grandma.[/quote]

I totally agree! We had two babies in the tummy sleeping era and one after back to sleep. There was colic, but it wasn't as common in the tummy sleeping era and reflux was unheard of. Most babies do not sleep well or for very long flat on their backs and if they have gas, its much worse. Being on the back is absolutely the most painful position for anyone with gas pains. If the new mom is afraid to do tummy sleep, she could go ahead and try laying the baby on the left side, or have the baby sleep propped up in the carseat or swing. We also had good results from burping our baby before feedings as well as during and afterwards.

Nancy

Old 01-23-2010, 09:02 PM

5,301 posts, read 11,489,853 times
Mylicon helped somewhat. He did have issues with gas as well. My spouse would do the "monkey on a branch" hold with him, and drape him over his forearm putting slight pressure on his tummy. Son really liked that and it seemed to help him feel better.
I have not tried this but - I have a friend who has used a mild steep of fennel and swears it worked for her. Although I would check my pediatrician before doing this.
My son could not use the avent bottles. I breastfed, and I noticed him being crabbier and gassier after I would eat chocolate. (a whole bar) a little piece here and there did not seem to matter.
They say it only lasts 3 mos, that is complete bs - my son screamed for 3 hours a night til he was about 10 month old. He also had problems when starting solid foods, w/being constipated. And he could not handle rice cereal, he had to go to oatmeal, less constipated.
So in general it seems like GI is a big issue with these colicky little ones....?

Old 01-23-2010, 09:24 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,456,557 times
he needs to get on zantac or something similar asap, colic is very painful for the baby and if left untreated, can lead to esophagitis, projectile vomiting, poor appetite and more and can affect the parent/child bond as well, related to the constant crying, upheaval.
my 5yr old had it and was put on zantac with significant relief. he stayed on it for about a year. to this day, he is very easy to vomit and his gag reflex is super sensitive....

Old 01-24-2010, 05:13 AM

521 posts, read 1,389,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
he needs to get on zantac or something similar asap, colic is very painful for the baby and if left untreated, can lead to esophagitis, projectile vomiting, poor appetite and more and can affect the parent/child bond as well, related to the constant crying, upheaval.
my 5yr old had it and was put on zantac with significant relief. he stayed on it for about a year. to this day, he is very easy to vomit and his gag reflex is super sensitive....
Just to clarify, colic has nothing to do necessarily with any digestive problems. It's a general condition to describe an "unhappy" (probably not the right word) baby with no other diagnosed medical condition. The true definition of colic is a baby who cries for 3 hours per day for 3 consecutive weeks with no explanation (I may be off a bit on the parameters but I think that is it).

It sounds like what you are describing is reflux.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:06 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,456,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
Just to clarify, colic has nothing to do necessarily with any digestive problems. It's a general condition to describe an "unhappy" (probably not the right word) baby with no other diagnosed medical condition. The true definition of colic is a baby who cries for 3 hours per day for 3 consecutive weeks with no explanation (I may be off a bit on the parameters but I think that is it).

It sounds like what you are describing is reflux.
my son was diagnosed with colic. nothing helped. the crying from pain went on and on. he did not vomit much, but the crying and discontent and obvious discomfort, came EVERY DAY AT DINNER TIME.

we walked him up and down the street, held him across on forearm on his belly, rocked him, talked to him, gave him mylicon, natural herbal gas relief meds from vitamin store, all to no avail.

my very keen pediatrician recommended we then try zantac as what he saw was colic related to gi upset, issues. yes, colic is a vague dx, but this ped is very keen. many cases of 'colic' per se, are successfully treated when all else fails, with an acid reflux medication like zantac!!!

so, we put him on zantac with a huge success. we were able to enjoy our newborn and most importantly, HE DID NOT SUFFER HORRIBLY ANYMORE...

is that not the goal? to relieve the pain?

I am not trying to say that Zantac is the cure-all for 'colic', but in some cases it is 'THE CURE'. And our ped was keen enough to know this and to recommend this and it WORKED.

worth a try? I'd say yes!!

just as a side, my son has a sensitive gag reflex to this day, so perhaps in his case, his 'colic' was due to a GI issue....what if the OP's situation is also related to a GI issue??-which many a colic btw, IS CAUSED FROM.

If I recall correctly, the GI tract of newborns is still in the final stages of development....so makes sense that 'colic' would be a result. And hence why it mysteriously 'goes away' before or at 1yr, perhaps that extra 1yr was enough for the GI to completely mature....

good luck OP.=]

Old 01-24-2010, 11:24 AM

533 posts, read 1,035,910 times
Quote:
my very keen pediatrician recommended we then try zantac as what he saw was colic related to gi upset, issues. yes, colic is a vague dx, but this ped is very keen. many cases of 'colic' per se, are successfully treated when all else fails, with an acid reflux medication like zantac!!!
and therefore it was not colic, but reflux. There is a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting