Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 01:27 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by memoriesbre View Post
I worked in daycares, and let me tell you... I wouldn't want my kids left there all day. Why not search for private childcare??? You can find private care in your area if you search on the internet and in the local classified papers in your town!
In the past we've done it both ways. One person working alone has no oversight. You have to put a lot of faith in that one person to do a good job. In my experience that's the major 'con' of a private care provider.

Otherwise if you can find someone you like and the cost isn't exceedingly prohibitive.....I'd say it's a better way to go.

We had our 2 oldest children in a daycare once that was extremely cool though. They really learned a lot. The big push there was the educational aspect. The downside was all the illness from the other kids. It was crazy how often they got sick.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
In the past we've done it both ways. One person working alone has no oversight. You have to put a lot of faith in that one person to do a good job. In my experience that's the major 'con' of a private care provider.

Otherwise if you can find someone you like and the cost isn't exceedingly prohibitive.....I'd say it's a better way to go.

We had our 2 oldest children in a daycare once that was extremely cool though. They really learned a lot. The big push there was the educational aspect. The downside was all the illness from the other kids. It was crazy how often they got sick.
very true. that part sucked. I wonder if the OP will be back to read the responses.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:18 PM

937 posts, read 2,889,271 times
Default I have read most responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
very true. that part sucked. I wonder if the OP will be back to read the responses.
I agree with some, disagree with others. I believe that a child should be home with a parent. Period. If you can't stay home and need to work and you can't afford a personal nanny, then trusting someone with your child in their own home is not a bad thing. You must make sure you can visit at ANY TIME WITHOUT HAVING TO CALL FIRST. Excellent references, all child clearances, clean background, etc. You should have trust in people. Not everyone is a bad person. Daycare centers can fool you also. I remember being there when parents came to check out the school. You will never see what goes on when you aren't there, period. It's up to the parent to have trust in whom they choose to leave their child with. References are important and they should call each and every one they get. When you are working in a daycare and have the child crying in your arms and begging you not to leave like mommy did in the morning, it breaks your heart.

Kids should not have to be pressured to know how to hold a pencil as one poster stated here. Kids should be kids. They will have enough time in their lives to be structured. Let them enjoy their childhood!

Have faith in who you pick for your childcare provider. If you want to leave your child in a daycare center all day long, that's your choice. All I can say is it's not all peaches and cream. When children see other children doing wrong, they too will copy that behaivor eventually. Then you get a parent coming to the daycare and blaming the owner/teachers for this behavior. If they don't want their children doing this, the best place for that child is home with his/her parent during the day!

Old 01-26-2010, 02:29 PM

I also see a debate going on about staying home with the children. It's not like when I grew up where most of the mom's where home with us. It was the best, but now it seems parents don't want to stay home, but have that career instead. Why do you think this country is such a mess? What happened to the values we once had? Maybe if we would go backwards and be home for our kids, as I was when my kids were little, things would change for the better.

Nobody has trust anymore in anything. You have posters on here always having to say something negative about everything. Use your heads, parents! Meet with a childcare provider at their home. Get to know them before you use them. If you think having your child in a daycare with alot of people there is the safest way your child won't get abused, think again! Nuff said.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:51 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
I agree with some, disagree with others. 1) I believe that a child should be home with a parent. Period. If you can't stay home and need to work and you can't afford a personal nanny, then trusting someone with your child in their own home is not a bad thing. You must make sure you can visit at ANY TIME WITHOUT HAVING TO CALL FIRST. Excellent references, all child clearances, clean background, etc. 2) You should have trust in people. Not everyone is a bad person. Daycare centers can fool you also. I remember being there when parents came to check out the school.3) You will never see what goes on when you aren't there, period. It's up to the parent to have trust in whom they choose to leave their child with. References are important and they should call each and every one they get. When you are working in a daycare and have the child crying in your arms and begging you not to leave like mommy did in the morning, it breaks your heart.

Kids should not have to be pressured to know how to hold a pencil as one poster stated here. Kids should be kids. They will have enough time in their lives to be structured. Let them enjoy their childhood!

Have faith in who you pick for your childcare provider. If you want to leave your child in a daycare center all day long, that's your choice. All I can say is 4) it's not all peaches and cream. When children see other children doing wrong, they too will copy that behaivor eventually. Then you get a parent coming to the daycare and blaming the owner/teachers for this behavior. If they don't want their children doing this, the best place for that child is home with his/her parent during the day!
1) you contradicted yourself
2) trusting another person with your child is the hardest trusting a person ever has to do. You don't sound like you have kids of your own.
3) same for a nanny
4) no one said it is.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:04 PM

Default No time for you

Quote:
1) you contradicted yourself
2) trusting another person with your child is the hardest trusting a person ever has to do. You don't sound like you have kids of your own.
3) same for a nanny
4) no one said it is.
First off, you don't know me. I do have my own children, and good kids, at that.
You must be such an untrusting person and the type that just likes to start trouble anywhere you can.
As far as peaches and cream, go and see how some parents act. They act like they are in lala land and don't have a clue as to what goes on in a daycare, and possibly right under their own noses in their own homes.
Maybe you need to wake up here a bit and stop insinuating things when you don't have a clue who I am as well as other people on here.
Done with you.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:08 PM

RKB, you state that you are a "super mom". Do you think you be trusted with another person's child because you are a super mom? What makes a mom super? You truly believe that you are a good person, as well as I do. I understand that you have an opinion as well as I and many other posters do.
You are also very judgemental and seem untrusting. Why?

Old 01-26-2010, 03:23 PM

Default Oh, you really are something btw

Quote:
oh I get it. You are a babysitter looking for work and just don't understand why someone would choose a daycare center over you. There are a lot of reasons. Accountability is one. In a building full of people, I'm pretty sure a teacher won't be beating or molesting my kids. A one on one situation, who knows what you do all day?
I am a preschool teacher who worked in a daycare. Never saw children molested in any of the schools.

Where do you live? Is this what goes on where your kids go to school? That's terrible. Oh, btw, anybody that would molest a child is sick.
Make sure your children stay home and don't go to a friend's house because you just don't know what goes on over there. Right? I have heard stories of kids going to a friend's house and being molested by their own friends.

Oh, and to your question, why would someone chose a daycare over me? Because I am a nice person, a good person. Don't go judging me if you don't know me, ok?

Old 01-26-2010, 03:35 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
Quote:
I worked in daycares, and let me tell you... I wouldn't want my kids left there all day. Why not search for private childcare??? You can find private care in your area if you search on the internet and in the local classified papers in your town!
I was in a situation in Texas (right outside a military base) where it was not so clear cut for a gizillion reasons. Not going to go into detail. Regardless, I searched high & low, looked at every knook & cranny, WATCHED the kids, WATCHED how the workers even looked at the kids. I was a lunatic about it. My son, who was 7 months at the time, absolutely adored his morning caregiver at the daycare. She was a grandma of 24 grandchildren. He would go to her at 7am, lay his head on her shoulder, and wave goodbye to me. Not a tear (from him). Not so comfortable w/ his afternoon caregivers but not uncomfortable enough to change. I used my gut with that one.

That being said, he picked up every darn sickness within the first 4 months. In the ER several times. Very, very sick. RSV, rotovirus, flu, coughs, you name it.

I, and the word "I" needs to be stressed, underlined, bold print whatever b/c it is just that "I"...was able to quit my job in order to become a SAHM. That being said, like another poster mentioned, doesn't mean I didn't have time & money invested in the profession. I am still paying off my Masters in Ed (almost 10 years later) b/c I got invested in my job prior to children. And still keep my license current so if the need be, I can and will go out & provide for my children.

Why not private? No guarantee it is better. Most of the time it can be, but for many, that comes w/ a price or time frame they cannot fit. My brother's nanny is $25 an hour. She has watched my children at times and she is amazing. My 2yr old loves her & always asks about her. Sorry, I don't have $200 a day to pay the nanny.

Search the internet? And that does what? A pervert is a pervert is a pervert. They are everywhere and the ones who want to get away with it...do...and they are slick about it.

Who are any of us to judge?

I've been on both sides. See crappy SAHMs, see horrible working parents, see burnt out SAHMs, see burnt out parents.

Why do this and why do that and on and on.

You know what, just like our children, us moms are all different too. And only by the grace of god am I able to do what I do & for MY family, it is what works. May not work for the Jones' down the street...doesn't mean they don't love their children any less, take care of them any more or whatever.

There are some moms who are on a limited budget, in a restricted area without a SOUL to help them. And they are praying that what they decide is ok even if it is larger daycare off the street. Some just don't have the choice. I've never walked in those shoes so I'll be damned if I sit and wag my finger at them....bless them and their children for they have a battle that is far harder than most of us (from the posts I've read on this one) can imagine

Old 01-26-2010, 03:47 PM

Default well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I was in a situation in Texas (right outside a military base) where it was not so clear cut for a gizillion reasons. Not going to go into detail. Regardless, I searched high & low, looked at every knook & cranny, WATCHED the kids, WATCHED how the workers even looked at the kids. I was a lunatic about it. My son, who was 7 months at the time, absolutely adored his morning caregiver at the daycare. She was a grandma of 24 grandchildren. He would go to her at 7am, lay his head on her shoulder, and wave goodbye to me. Not a tear (from him). Not so comfortable w/ his afternoon caregivers but not uncomfortable enough to change. I used my gut with that one.

That being said, he picked up every darn sickness within the first 4 months. In the ER several times. Very, very sick. RSV, rotovirus, flu, coughs, you name it.

I, and the word "I" needs to be stressed, underlined, bold print whatever b/c it is just that "I"...was able to quit my job in order to become a SAHM. That being said, like another poster mentioned, doesn't mean I didn't have time & money invested in the profession. I am still paying off my Masters in Ed (almost 10 years later) b/c I got invested in my job prior to children. And still keep my license current so if the need be, I can and will go out & provide for my children.

Why not private? No guarantee it is better. Most of the time it can be, but for many, that comes w/ a price or time frame they cannot fit.

Who are any of us to judge?

I've been on both sides. See crappy SAHMs, see horrible working parents, see burnt out SAHMs, see burnt out parents.

Why do this and why do that and on and on.

You know what, just like our children, us moms are all different too. And only by the grace of god am I able to do what I do & for MY family, it is what works. May not work for the Jones' down the street...doesn't mean they don't love their children any less, take care of them any more or whatever.
I also stayed home with my kids because that is what I wanted to do and could have done that, which was the best thing for them.

I feel that if you need childcare, get references from them and call those references. Go to the caregiver's home a few times, make sure you are always welcome there at anytime during the time your child is there, even without calling first.
Why the heck do some people on here always make it like everyone is a child molester? If you don't trust anybody, then stay home with your child or have a family member care for them. But, be careful with a family member, because there have been stories on the news that family members also have molested a niece, nephew, etc. So, what it all boils down to, is you have to use your head when choosing care for your child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting