Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 02:47 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
At 18 years old a kid still has a lot of growing up to do and in general they are not ready to be thrust into the world and be completely self-supporting. Though I do agree, if you don't start mentoring them toward self-sufficiency at this age they won't be ready for full adulthood at 21.

Many parents believe that if an 18 year old is going to school full-time that they should not have the added burden of working full-time to pay for a car and all it's expenses.

Other parents believe you should drop the kid like a hot potato the minute he turns 18 and force them to be on their own.

Personally, I think a more middle of the road approach is best - a kid can work every summer to add to a car fund so that he can buy that first car at some point, or he/she could work part-time while in school to help defray their college expenses so that mom and dad don't have to cover everything.
I agree with you here. My children had to get part-time jobs in order to put away money to buy a car. Hubby is a mechanic so they were able to get very inexpensive cars for them. They had to purchase the parts and dad taught them and helped them work on their cars. Even though my daughter didn't drive until she was 20, she bought a truck at the age of 16 and completely restored it with a little bit of help from her dad. She sold that vehicle and used the money to purchase another vehicle for practically nothing. It needed some engine work, new struts, and new tires, but the body and interior were in immaculate condition. She paid for everything done to her car and helped with the repairs as well.

My son has done the same thing.....As other posters have said, driving is a privilege.....children should have to learn to make sacrifices and put away money for things like cars, insurance, car parts and repairs, phones. It's a darn good start on learning how to live independently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 12:17 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
If I were you I'd have my daughter ask her dad for help and see how that goes. Otherwise it's time to suck it up and figure something else out.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Everyone suggesting that she live at college is missing the fact that room and board will cost more than her transportation costs.

These posts throughout the thread over who pays more are annoying to me. I hate to hear divorced parents fight over money---especially when child support is being paid.

Unless child support is minimal, it does cover 1/2 of the expenses of raising a child on a day to day basis. Children aren't that expensive. I'm complaining about the parents who receive $600-$800 a month and say it's not enough. Be realistic. It does not cost $1,200-$1,600 a month to raise one child who doesn't need to attend a private school.

The reality is that many custodial parents use the monthly child support payments for their own standard of living. If they put all of the money into a separate account and only withdrew the money for actual expenses, most years there would be money left over. $600/month is $7,200 per year. (Medical expenses are usually listed separately in child support). So the monthly support payments go towards food, clothing, activities, music lessons (if there is enough money), school supplies, etc.

Like parents who remain married, divorced parents need to live within a budget. For instance, if there's not enough money to play hockey, then there just isn't enough money and the child doesn't play hockey.

I managed to raise mine at a very high standard without taking a penny from the biological father so I have limited tollerance for this type of financial nitpicking.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:45 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Quote:
But my point is, WHICHEVER parent the kid is living with is still paying more than the other parent. There are always incidentals and expenses that are above and beyond what child support pays for. So in a situation like this one, even if dad's budget is limited, mom's is still be strained more simply by having her kid live with her.
The custodial parent also has the child most of the time and the non-custodial parent misses A LOT of the growing up. There are perks.

Mom could always have given up custody to Dad and be free of any expense except half of her upbringing.

You make it sound like money is the only factor when it comes to raising a child.

Quote:
At 18 years old a kid still has a lot of growing up to do and in general they are not ready to be thrust into the world and be completely self-supporting. Though I do agree, if you don't start mentoring them toward self-sufficiency at this age they won't be ready for full adulthood at 21.
Wow, I was married at 18; worked a full time job and a house to take care of. Cooking, cleaning, everything.

Kids need to be mentored toward self-sufficiency WAY earlier than 18.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:48 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
Honestly, I'd be over the moon if my son's father would agree to pay 1/2 for college. Yes, I know that budgets get tight and transportation is necessary. The thing is, college is a luxury. As with any luxury, it should be contributed to by the beneficiary and any other contribution is a gift, not an expectation.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:11 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
Honestly, I'd be over the moon if my son's father would agree to pay 1/2 for college. Yes, I know that budgets get tight and transportation is necessary. The thing is, college is a luxury. As with any luxury, it should be contributed to by the beneficiary and any other contribution is a gift, not an expectation.
Excellent point.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:13 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Everyone suggesting that she live at college is missing the fact that room and board will cost more than her transportation costs.

These posts throughout the thread over who pays more are annoying to me. I hate to hear divorced parents fight over money---especially when child support is being paid.

Unless child support is minimal, it does cover 1/2 of the expenses of raising a child on a day to day basis. Children aren't that expensive. I'm complaining about the parents who receive $600-$800 a month and say it's not enough. Be realistic. It does not cost $1,200-$1,600 a month to raise one child who doesn't need to attend a private school.

The reality is that many custodial parents use the monthly child support payments for their own standard of living. If they put all of the money into a separate account and only withdrew the money for actual expenses, most years there would be money left over. $600/month is $7,200 per year. (Medical expenses are usually listed separately in child support). So the monthly support payments go towards food, clothing, activities, music lessons (if there is enough money), school supplies, etc.

Like parents who remain married, divorced parents need to live within a budget. For instance, if there's not enough money to play hockey, then there just isn't enough money and the child doesn't play hockey.

I managed to raise mine at a very high standard without taking a penny from the biological father so I have limited tollerance for this type of financial nitpicking.
It's a function of the income of the parents. The wife's ex pays in a whopping $240/mo for child support.

He was supposed to cover insurance but that got cut off....so now the insurance is on me. Granted I can get coverage through my employer but the cost just keeps going up.

Every 3 years she can file to have it reevaluated to possibly raise it. We've tried twice...and both times he was either unemployed at the time or he was making so little that it wouldn't have resulted in a raise. But it seems like the guy is always buying guitars and 4 wheelers.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:46 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
It's a function of the income of the parents. The wife's ex pays in a whopping $240/mo for child support.

He was supposed to cover insurance but that got cut off....so now the insurance is on me. Granted I can get coverage through my employer but the cost just keeps going up.

Every 3 years she can file to have it reevaluated to possibly raise it. We've tried twice...and both times he was either unemployed at the time or he was making so little that it wouldn't have resulted in a raise. But it seems like the guy is always buying guitars and 4 wheelers.

My DH's ex pays 220.00 for TWO children, then tell them that we're the "rich" ones so we need to buy everything they need. Eh, whatever.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:21 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
Unless you want your kid to have a career at McDonalds, college is MOST CERTAINLY a necessity, not a luxury

The exception would of course be a kid who chose a military career (and even then he'll go further and make more money if he goes in with a college degree) or trade school.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:26 PM

133 posts, read 290,360 times
Does 100% of that child support go straight to your daughter??? If not maybe you should find a better career. I see this all to often, thankfull ynot with my parents, but many i know the child support doesn't even go to the kids but rather to expenses for the Mother because she refuses to pay her own way. If 100% of that money goes to your child and it's still not enough, then yes i do believe he should pay half. If not, then perhaps she should live with your ex and he not pay child support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting